ATWT: October Discussion

• Members

Chris, ICAM. I wonder why Anne Sward hasn't been approached to come back. Maybe she's retired? The other day, I thought about Lyla and how terrific it would be to bring her back for the Katie part of the Brad-death-fallout. We know Jack's part involves a road trip. It would be nice if Sward had been brought back. I have always felt like one of Irna Phillips's main goal in creating ATWT was to show families in everyday situations...with strong emphasis on the family part---being there for each other, having different opinions, the occasional clash of egos, the celebration of holidays together. I think, in ATWT's efforts to bring the storytelling back to what it was, they've left out the important family aspect of everything. Look at Holden's funeral: we only had 2 returns...Seth and Aaron. No Caleb, Julie, Ellie, Iva, nothing... And with Katie now....no Lyla, Cricket, not even a ghostly apparition of Casey to help guide his son-in-law into the light...or possibly help his daughter move on (she lost her father when she was young, much like her son is losing a father while he is young).

As for the rest of the episode...the dialogue was hit and miss. Jack's "center chest" speech and Kim and Bob's conversation were the only "hits" IMO. The whole rest of the episode seemed a little shaky, dialogue-wise. Whoever wrote today's script made Janet seem (even more) like a babbling idiot (wtf was the football story?) and Katie seem like a blubbering 6th grader (my baby saved my life, and now he can save Brad's).

Soooo nice to see Bob and Kim. I'm amazed they brought up the fact that both of them were in dire health just a few months ago. I figured they would've swept it under the rug, like they do most Bob/Kim health plots after they're over.

Did we really have to have Audrey and Babs in today's epi? Oh well..... Bye bye, Audrey!! Good riddance. :D

ITA with Ron about the ending. The context was disturbing (a dead mean cradling a newborn), but the scene itself played out pretty poetically. Just like magic. That was the most heart-wrenching part of the episode.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Tuesday's epsiode! Bob and Kim! Margo and Barbara rivalry! The grim imagery of Katie moving Brad's arms to cradle the baby at the end was powerful.

Monday's episode, I had a strange mixed reaction to. I liked Casey going to the hospital to see Katie, and his reaction to the baby, as well as Margo blowing Casey off because of wanting to find Ralph and Casey thinking Margo was still mad at him (subtext, cuz of Adam) and thinking he didn't care. That's some nuanced writing and nuanced acting right there from Billy Magnussen and Ellen Dolan. Casey not being able to start on a paper is something I could relate to as well, lol. I liked Dusty and Allison, and even didn't mind Dusty/Teri so much. I liked Maddie being integrated into the story, But the pacing seemed off somehow. Also some of the acting at times from some veteran actors seemed like people weren't giving it their all and hadn't rehearsed. Some of the dialogue was "eh" too, too clumsy or flippant - I wish they had had someone other than Gordon Rayfield be the script writer for Monday and Tuesday, he's not one of their best. I liked the recap of Friday better than the original Friday cliffhanger though - more dramatic this time.

Nice to continue to see Margo on so much. Nice to see Janet supporting Jack (glad to know if they break up, it's not gonna be because she just abandons him and blames him, as it might have seemed after Monday when she asked him why he didn't tell about the drinking).

• Members

I think they're trying with the family, just not going far enough ...

What I really want to know though, is not so much where's the rest of Margo, Craig, and Katie's family (she didn't die!), but whatever happened to Dolores Pierce, Brad and Jack's mom who just disappeared in 1999 who they had an awkward estranged relationship with? Is she dead? Has she ever been informed or consciously not informed of any weddings or funerals related to her two sons after disappearing?

• Members

Delores is a gaping hole in the story (if you've been watching long enough at least) because when she left, she and both the boys were supposed to be on good terms. She's missed most of Jack's marriages, both her biological grandchildren's births, not to mention Jack's "death" back in '04. No one will probably even bother to mention her, but it'd be nice to hear something about why she's not there.

Man...Jack is breaking my heart. I thought the scenes with Parker and even Janet today were off the charts! (okay, Dusty, no snickering, it's mostly because he wouldn't let her comfort him, and he specifically wished it was five years ago, when he was still legally married to Carly <BEG>... :D )

***wow****there were seven people reading the topic when I bounced in.

• Members

I couldn't stand the Delores character. I really wont bother me if she isnt mentioned. Hasn't she been nonexistent in their life anyways until recently??

It was nice seeing Barbara again. I didnt care for Emily and Paul today. I wanted to see more Jack today. The scenes with Janet and Liberty in the front porch were nicely done.

• Members

I was touched Babs was as reflective on Brad's death as she was. In a town where it seems no one really mourns (or the unrelated even realize someone's died) lately, it was a fresh approach. I mean, I can't even recall Peck's Brad intersecting with Babs. Even historically, the only connection I can think of is the fact Brad's the one who broke the news to Hal that Parker was his son...at his and Babs' engagement party many moon ago.

Now..if there'd just been a passing mention of Hal by Babs, Parker, or Jack, I'd have been in heaven.

• Members

I thought yesterday was vastly superior to today's eppy. I really can't figure out why Dusty even needed to appear at all today, but it took me somewhat out of the story. When show's don't follow up drama from the day before, that just irritates me. I expected things to pick up from the hospital where we left off, with Katie and Henry.

Now, I may be the minority, but I actually liked Brad and thought he was funny as hell. So, naturally this has all been pretty intense to me. Jack is probably the most upsetting(just straight acting rings around most of the players), as every time I see him he just looks visibly in distress and guilty over Brad's death. Truly heartbreaking.

• Members

Today's show (Thursday) was just great, everything a soap should be. The acting was phenomenal all the way around, but I have to single out Terri C and Michael P who are doing their best work since they joined the show. Only Lily drags down the show. Keep it up , ATWT, I haven't been this interested in years.

• Members

A good show. I felt sorry for Henry and it was nice to see Barbara again. Michael Park was great but Jon L. fell flat as Craig. At least Craig was featured with katie today. I wish Martha was playing Lily. It would make the story with Holden and Damian so much better.

• Members

I don't know if it was Lindstrom's performance, or the fact I just didn't buy Craig's reaction to Jack. I mean, he'd just ripped Henry a new !@#$%^&*], why would he be any kinder to Jack? 'Cause he's turned over some new leaf?'Cause Craig can't just kick a man when he's down? *scoffs* I know TPTB are desperate to retool Craig, but they've gone to far in the other direction, IMO. I believed Craig's "brothers Snyder the hotheads" assessment more than I believed Craig truly felt compassion for Jack.

I do appreciate the family moments we're getting out of this. Craig visiting Katie, Jack and Holden talking. HECK...I think I could love a true Babs/Henry romance, given today's scenes.

But yeah, the Lily/Holden/Damian story just dragged the eppy down. Holden knows Brad's dead, but Lily is still planning her devious rendezvous? *RME*

Archived