Y&R episode discussion

• Members

I'm going to point out, though, that the last two episodes that really disappointed me did so because of the ACTORS.

Y&R has somehow collected a real collection of horrendous duds. And it is really starting to drag the show down. Erin, Sursock, Heinle...these folks are bad. But even people I REALLY liked at one point (Luckinbill, Khalil, Miller, Morrow) are really sucking. And that's not me just being negative.

When once-decent actors can't do it for me (and it's about the performance, not the words), that tells me there is a major problem with direction/production. I'm starting to think that Josh Griffith might not have been so bad on the performance side. (Acting never bothered me during LML). And Ed Scott was the "actor's producer". But, it seems to me that Rauch--for all his reputation as "disciplinarian" seems to be sh!tty and p!ss poor in nurturing any kind of decent performance. For strong actors, like Maitland or Cast, it doesn't matter. But for a weak link, like Luckinbill, this is the kiss of death.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Couldn't have put it better MYSELF. I think you hit this nail right on the head. It's also possible that budget constraints are taking a toll on the performances, making everyone rush through too much. I agree wiht Carl, that we had some REAL dud lines today... but Lily's dialogue at Colleen's bedside was for the most part, quite lovely... except it was delivered by someone who was trying to ACT like she was crying, but WASN'T. It reminds me of a teenage girl pretending to cry without shedding a tear to get her boyfriend to buy her something. If any blame goes to the writers, it would be the breakdown writer for only giving Beth one really "meat and potatoes" scene today.

• Members

LOL! Tell me about it...

I honestly see nothing salvageable about Y&R at this point, and as long as this writing and producing regime that can't acknowledge any mistakes is in charge, this show won't be getting any better. It's amazing how blind the writers and producers of this show are, they think this is a the best Y&R can be, sadly.

• Members

Ratings drops never speak to TPTB, except in the words "time to cancel".

Better to work with what they have, which produced some good stuff earlier in the year.

I really think Ed Scott should replace Anthony Morina and work on the performances.

I also think it may be time to replace Sheffer with someone who knows the style and plots of the past...maybe even Sally Sussman Morina (so that that family still has a paycheck).

Archived