Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Members

Thanks, I was gonna ask about that! Well I printed out over 100 pages of articles and would love to somehow gt them on here or at least online but can't figure it out yet--there's a lot of terrific stuff ( a 1968 ATWT/Soap article, the famous Agnes Nixon articles/retorts, a horrible AMC review when it premiered, an article about how "crazy" it is that soaps are happening on primtime (Dallas, and Knots), etc

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I searched "Ellen Holly" once and found the Ebony where she was on the cover about her wedding as well as random letters she'd written into Ebony and the Times some years later. A few months back I linked an article I found about Lucci from the early '80s when she did her first TV movie and talked about leaving soaps for Hollywood.

• Members

In an interview with Irna Phillips at the time of LIAMST premiering,she mentions her next project about a woman dealing with ageing by dressing and acting younger and her difficulty in finding just the right actress for the part,

Sounds a little weird,but that's all the article said...

• Members

That sounds kinda good. I think people sometimes give our Irna a bad rep when it comes to her being "old-fashioned" or whatever. She was the one who wanted to keep the Eurasion character at the center of LIAMST, and she also wanted Bob and Kim to be the endgame out of the Kim/Bob/Jennifer triangle on ATWT (even though Bob cheated on Jenn with Kim). This sounds like something born out of the burgeoning feminist movement of the time, and I would have liked to see what she had planned for it.

• Members

But she also felt that Nancy was the feminist ideal--a woman who find true peace and happiness with a husband and children (she and Agnes have both been quoted as sayign this). Obviously she was very conflicted.

(funny those Times articles from 69-75 all call ATWT hopelessly cliched and oldfashioned and the stories as they tell them are bad--they even compare Kim, the "feminist figure" on that show, in a 72 article with Cathy Craig on One Life very disfavourably pointing out how Kim is still all about a man)

• Members

From SOD Sept 83

NBC has decided not to air their in the works soap 'Scruples'. Says that show's creator Pat Falken Smith."The show is not going on the air on NBC because I got caught up in a change of administration at the network." Falken Smith,Allan Shayne(pres Warner Bros TV) and Doris Quinlan(Scruples exec producer) are now interested in selling the show elsewhere,either as a daytime or primetime series. We have heard that NBC's head of daytime,Brian Fronz,has decided to go with one of John Conboy's newest projects in place of Scruples.

• Members

Thanks to the success of Passions' interactive webisodes (like the one leading up to the debut of Rachel, the Omega storyline, and Tabloid Truth, for example), Passions WAS supposed to have an online web series spinoff called The Cove but not starring anyone actually from Passions. This ended up turning into Danica Stewart's unrelated web series Coastal Dreams.

A Saturday morning teen series featuring Tabitha teaching home ec at Harmony High was also announced, although not officially.

Also, a primetime miniseries adaptation of Hidden Passions was rumoured but obviously never happened.

• Members

Well, Nancy could be today's version of a feminist ideal in that she chose the life she lead, was successful at it and enjoyed it. Nancy was one of the few housewives of the 50s who actually had a career (she was a teacher) and didnt just get married and have kids. The Nancy Hughes of the 50s 60s and 70s was a different woman then the 80s to the present Nancy, that one ruled her house and Oakdale,with an iron fist, so she was much different then the Alice Horton, Bert Bauer (post nagging wife phase), Grandma Martin sweet mother, grandmother type.

However, Irna WAS a very conflicted woman, (loved BE's version of her on the GL anniversary show, perfect use of BE's sharp and sometimes grating personality.) She took no [!@#$%^&*] from the suits at the networks...has anyone wrote a book on her?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

This fron a SOW article in a Sept 96 article re 13 Bourbon St

More than 200 eager young actresses showed up at an open casting call in Nth Hollywood Calif Sept 3 in hopes of landing the contract role of Marigold Katrina Jorgensohn on Fox's latenight serial 13 Bourbon St. MK is a would be singer who arrives in New Orleans from a small town in Indiana.

During a break in the auditions, the show's casting director. Meg Simon, told SOW, "I'm looking for a girl who is very joyful, a positive person with a great singing voice. She should be pretty in a fresh, clean-cut kind of way." The first major hurdle for the aspirants (who included a number of SAG members) was to sing eight bars of a rock standard."If they can't sing,I'm not doing anymore with them", says Simon,who cast Ryan's Hope for two years in the early 80's. However,she amended that statement with. "It's conceivable that I may see someone who's right for another role I'm casting, in which case I'll hold on to their resume and call them back at another time".

The shows exec producer, Linda Gottlieb,did not attend the auditions. At this point, Simon says she has cast five of the 21 principal roles. Casting will be announced when all of the principal roles are filled. Production commences in New York in November;the series is set to debut January 1997

Archived