Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have any of you heard anything about whether or not the GH spinoff/sister show Monty almost got produced was supposed to have Jackie Zeman? Apparently Jackie had left GH at this time, so the new show might have been a vehicle for her.

• Members

Sweet baby Jesus my life would have been made.

This must have been in about 88. I think that in that region of time (I can't remember exactly), she took a few months of the year off. Not because she had kids or anything, just as a vacation. I wonder what the spinoff would have been.

• Members

No I think it was somewhere in 82-83. Jackie had left the show for a while at this point - I think she might have been gone for about a year - as she was exhausted and wanted to try something else. The talk about the spinoff was also around this time, as ABC was supposed to have bought this as well as Loving. For whatever reason (perhaps GH's ratings/quality drop), it didn't happen.

The spinoff was mentioned earlier in this thread, I can't remember the name. It was about the doctors and nurses of GH.

SOD mentioned the rumors that Jackie was involved.

• Members

Oh okay, I knew it was sometime in the 80's.

Hmm, I wonder what would be different if it had panned out? Would it have lasted? Would it still be on today? Would Loving (and later The City) ever happened?

If Angie Hubbard hadn't gone to Loving/The City...Would she have ever been back on AMC?

If Tracy hadn't come back in 1996 to GH, to cross over to The City...Would she have been long since forgotten and never brought back?

If it was still on today, would Port Charles have ever happened? Where would Lucy/Kevin be? Still on GH? Would Kelly Monaco ever be on GH

• Members

Can't say conclusively that Jackie Z was involved but that was my feeling. I'll keep looking thru old SOD's and maybe it will be mentioned.

August 31st 1982 SOD article on making of soaps.

"Sometimes the idea for a new soap is generated from the network itself. Such is the case with Gloria Monty (GH exec producer) and ABC's newest soap "The Young Loves of General Hospital". The show will concern itself with the lives and loves of GH's student doctors and nurses. "Very wonderfully, ABC gave me the soap" Gloria Monty smiles."The idea for it was a combination of Jackie Smith's (VP of ABC Daytime Programming) and mine. It's a spinoff.The script is going into pilot now and was created by Jackie,myself and AJ Russell."

• Members

I have to say, that while many of these concepts sound intriguing, and equal number sound unworkable to me. I really can't see why even at the peak of GH mania The Young Loves of GH was a smart way to go, for example. Of course in a way that was the concept of PC initially anyway (the younger doctors) and it didn't really work... While I think bringing over a character from one soap to another has had some success (and not), nobody seems to really want a daytime soap spin off, for whatever reason.

Archived