Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Members

Don't know anything about that one but just discovered a pilot for NBC in 78 called 'The Courage and the Passion' set on air force base. Vince Edwards,Don Meredith,Desi Arnaz Jnr,Trisha Noble,Irene Yahling Sun,Robert Ginty,Monte Hall, Laraine Stephens and Donna Wilkes were in the cast.It aired as a TV movie in May 78

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is that Monte Hall of Let's Make a Deal?

That doesn't seem like a very inspiring cast, but then I don't know any of the women so I can't say.

Paul Raven I was wondering if you could talk any about The Hamptons in the primetime soaps section? I was looking at some photos at in a 1983 Digest, and IMDB lists it as airing 5 episodes...either I have just totally forgotten about it or it was a blip of a blip (I don't even remember it being in Schemering's book).

• Members

The Hamptons was an interesting production. I think the whole thing was shot on location,including interiors which would have given it a very non-primetime look . Most of the cast had worked in daytime so would have been able to cope with the production schedule,which i suspect would have been done on a minimal budget.

The genesis of this show would be interesting to know. Maybe Monty had in her contract the chance to do primetime. I know she did some Tv movies also.Perhaps it was an experiment on ABC's part to see if a taped serial could work at night.

This show came about around the sane time Loving premiered.Monty had been working on Young Loves of GH in the months prior. Perhaps as a result of the decision to go with Loving.Monty was offered The Hamptons.

Pure speculation...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

From SOD April 26 1983 re Malibu Lifeguards

Word has it that ABC is planning a new soap called "Lifeguards" (due out in 1985)- not to be confused with the Agnes Nixon/Doug Marland ABC soap 'Loving' airing June 26th.The 30 min daytime drama will be set in Southern California centering on the real life situations,problems and loves of lifeguards. The show, headwritten by Ronnie Konner (former writer for The Doctors) and produced by Rick Rosner,who created "CHIPS" ,will devote 30 mins each week to live action. According to sources, that "action" will include disasters, rescue missions, and the other everyday problems lifeguards encounter. The soap intends to depict lifeguards not as "beefcake' boys,we learned, but rather in the same light as policemen and firemen. "Lifeguards' intends to have all the heat and 'hotness' of the sun, beaches and youthful actors combined with action packed good stories. According to our sources 'Lifeguards' will be a one of a kind soap, shot on location in Hollywood and Malibu.

And CBS' new soap

There is talk that Barbara Bauer, former writer at almost all of the P&G soaps and exec producer Paul Rauch (Texas and AW) have joined together to create a new 30 min soap for CBS, due out this fall.. The soap will center around traditional family values but will also be quite "glossy". There is talk that CBS' entry will be pitted against NBC's "Scruples' and ABC's "Loving". According to one informed source, next year will see a very exciting ratings war beteween the soaps.

• Members

Re Lifeguards-yes it is the same show. i originally posted that it was due in 83, but was confused because it was reported in 83 for an 85 launch.

No idea what happened to the CBS project. Capitol was fairing OK in the ratings so i don't know why CBS would have a replacement so soon. i think SOD reported that this show was to be called The Billionaires (very 80's) but I could be wrong.

I think 80's excess and daytime budgets are not a good fit. Those one room mansions are not convincing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived