Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Particularly if I am unwittingly driving them around the bend.

I've been watching soaps for six decades. For most of my time watching TGL on a daily basis, it was called THE Guiding Light. Just like The Edge of Night was...THE Edge of Night. Dropping the article from the titles was a ridiculous decision that never made the slightest bit of sense, hence my continuing to use it.

During tough times like this, laughter is always welcome!

I always enjoy reading other people's commentary as well, even when I don't agree with it. That's what keeps the forums lively!

P&G claimed that they dropped the THE in order to "modernize" the soaps (TGL and TEON) and attract a younger audience.

(That excuse...er, explanation has always seemed delirious and stupid to me.)

• Members

That post is Gold, @vetsoapfan

Please register in order to view this content

As someone whose posts have allegedly induced fits of hysteria and page-long diatribes (as well as endless inane interrogations), I can relate.

The use of 'The' Guiding Light never bothered me in the least since it was once the official name of the show. I can only imagine how Dunkin Donuts or Oil Of Olay must enrage this person.

Hopefully, you will do what I would do and ignore and continue to post.

Cheers.

• Members

I have a very hard time watching Hilary's funeral episode. There's just such a falseness, from the very camera-ready performance from Trent Jones (who is a very good actor and did wonderful work on Ryan's Hope) and Richard Van Vleet among others, to the strong undertone of "yeah it's sad, get over it now" in some of the writing choices for various characters, to how cheap the set looks (even though at this time they were more than able to blow out the budget on location shoots). Even starting the episode with Jonathan, rather than the Bauers. The main heartbreak I can feel is from Charita Bauer, and I have to wonder how much of that is her knowing how ill she was (IIRC the others at the show did not).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I would never stop posting about a genre I have loved for most of my life, just because a troll soiled itself in rage.

You can't let trolls upset you, but you can...toy with them for amusement and sport.

It felt like the show wanted to rush through the funeral and grief, just to get it all over with. Pamela Long and Gail Kobe may have had no interest or emotional attachment to the longer-running characters, but the audience did. What a waste.

The omission of Hilary's best friend Katie was very glaring. This was such a boneheaded move. It very sad knowing that this was one of Charita Bauer's last appearances. She really grounded and gave depth to the episode. Poor Hilary deserved better. She looks like she was buried in someone backyard. Hilary and Fletcher had a real spark to them.

Edited by victoria foxton