Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was so mind boggling they fired her. AND NEVER brought her back. Hope was NEVER brought back.

And then you had a bunch of similar aged women running around. It was so stupid. I kind of notice they had a tendency to dump someone and slot someone else in. Maeve dies, here comes Holly, etc.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Time and experience have shown that generally the BTS problems with Crystal Chappell's stints at various shows was Crystal Chappell, and I say that as someone who even loved her on OLTL.

Speaking of, I've said this before but around 2003 if it'd been up to me I'd have recast Hope with Catherine Hickland, along with Roscoe Born as Alan Spaulding, with the intent to re-pair them. In this rich fantasy world, McKinsey would've come out of retirement (haha!) to play Alex, who would bring Hope back to town to destabilize Alan.

• Members

He would have been much more

compelling as Alan.

I really wish Rauch had convinced McKinsey to come back.  I know rumor has it they tried a couple of times, including when they hired Joan Collins.  That was probably the only story I could see her actually in as well.

• Members

Hey, I loved CC on GL..but she had problems. She was the one who sent out rumors that GA was hard to work with and that is the reason he was fired...(GA was difficult when it came to the story making sense, which didn't at that time...) then tried to pin it on Wheeler (she was a terrible producer but she is not that kind of person.)

Roscoe Born as Alan..wow, a sexy Alan and not a blustering windbag? Wasnt Born too young, and how did RR survive as long as he did, if anything, I prefered Marj's Alex over RR's Alan and THAT is saying a lot!

• Members

Roscoe Born was less than a year younger than Ron Raines, so age wouldn't have been an issue. JFP was still EP when Alan was recast so it's surprising she didn't cast one of her friends and instead went for an unknown. Does anyone remember if any big soap names were considered for Alan in 1994?

• Members

I dunno, I find it hard to believe that after 30 years on the show, GA saw his reputation get stained because of CC's rumors. In the reunions, GA has talked about his dressing room being a shelter for everyone looking for a drink, he must have been well liked - certainly more than the writers, whose stories did not make any sense whatsoever...

• Members

Robin Mattson was available at any number of times and even did ATWT towards the end. As the first adult Hope Bauer, she would’ve been a great choice to return. Hope had been offscreen for years, allegedly still struggling with alcoholism. What if she’d returned to Springfield with an edge?  Ron Raines’ Alan would’ve been toast.  She would’ve been great with Hunt Block’s Ben Warren (Hope liked a Ben!) in the late 90’s, although I think Robin was still on AMC at the time. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I didn't say it worked, just that it happened. Too bad cause Phillip and Liv were HOT!!!

That would have been great, maybe instead of Joan as Alex (which I loved) it was Matteson as Hope who came back to take over, and fight Phillip and Alan for Spaulding for AM.  Imagine Hope in charge of the Ex Wives club!

• Members

Yes. I've thought about that a lot after seeing Robin on ATWT. It would have worked great.

I liked Phillip and Olivia too. Often times chemistry is because the actors dislike each other, lol. So it worked. Still not entirely sure what went down between GA/CC. Wasn't it rumored/confirmed Judi Evans had issues with GA too? I mean, like all of us in life with the people we meet, not everyone will vibe or get along. 

• Members

Yup, they had issues, lol.  Apparently, GA, along with Michael O'Leary, bullied JE about (I think) her weight (which is ironic, in O'Leary's case, lol).  Also, I've heard that GA (allegedly) exposed himself to JE on one occasion, but I don't know for sure whether THAT rumor is true.  And I've heard that's one reason why the show pushed Beth/Lujack hard after Phillip and Beth's initial breakup.

The two also bullied Krista Tesreau (ex-Mindy); however, it seems KT was better able to tolerate the harassment.  In any case, their harassment, as well as the "cold shoulder" several cast members gave her for her Emmy win (after just one year on the show), is what ultimately drove JE from the show (and to DAYS).

Edited by Khan