Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

If I remember correctly, the video for this opening was found footage.  I believe I heard that on a daytime talk-show fairly early in the run of this opening. Don't remember which talk show or why they were discussing Guiding Light.  Sorry. It was nearly 50-years ago. This is one of my three favorite GL openings, and I believe it fit the show perfectly at the time.   

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

This reminds me of something from Star Trek - like the episode with Kathryn Hays. 

I do think the full closing theme is beautiful. The opening music, similar to ATWT's 93-00 opening, is just too sludgy and somber for me.

The 83-85 music and visuals are great, unfortunately marred by how much the show is hollowed out in that time frame.

• Members

My other two favorites are: the one before this one -- the one with the lighthouse.  That was a grand old theme song that, again, was perfect for its time. It is also one of my favorite "classic" soap opera openings.   And next, "Hold on to Love".  That theme, along with the visuals, was one of my favorite "modern" soap opera openings. That opening should probably have been kept until the show ended. Nothing after it ever measured up, in my opinion.

Actually, I believe that is exactly what it was!   Something like that, anyway. It was definitely not something shot specifically for Guiding Light. 

• Members

Excuse me...Mr. Tony Reardon's Hiiii-YAAAA is a classic! I hated the 85- to whatever cheap ass opening!

I like it too..it feels like someone wrapped a blanket around me for some reason, probably because I was a kid and would hear it on Christmas and summer vacations in the next room, with my Mom not paying attention to what I was doing!

• Members

I remember seeing a photo of a Guiding Light opening in an old soap magazine I had back in the 90's that had the title words on the screen and the I"s were real burning candles. When was that used ?

I wonder if the person who shot it ever got residuals or knew the footage was used for the show ? 

• Members

I think the dead leaves opening looks so muddy and mute because we have mostly cruddy quality videos of it. When they released those episodes on DVD, it was my first time actually being able to see trees in it lol The concept of finding the light while covered in darkness is great, though, almost the opposite of EON's light gradually giving away to darkness.

As a soap theme/graphics enthusiast, GL will always be interesting because of how many different themes and title cards it went through. My #1 fave will always be the orange Fire Island lighthouse from 74-75, with the full orchestral La Lumiere theme - so much so that I have a print of the lighthouse hanging in my house. In the modern era, it Hold On to Love is the clear champ, but I do love the very last arrangement of My Guiding Light (I call it the New Edition version lol).

I read years ago online (John Kelly Genovese, I think) that it was just used in print ads in newspapers/magazines in the 50s. Funny they never used a candle motif onscreen since the light originally referred to a lamp in a window.

• Members

I always forget that it wasn't Marland that brought on Amanda and Lucille Wexler but the Dobsons. How much did they set up with Amanda being a Spaulding, etc? IIRC the Jennifer angle and Morgan were all Marland.

• Members

I think as soon as Amanda and Lucille was introduced the Dobsons had the long term plan in place that they were tied to the Spauldings and that Alan was Amanda's father. The identity of the mother was not dealt with.

Then  Marland explored that  introducing Jennifer and Morgan.

• Members

Hold on to Love is my clear winner. And I like the one with Nola/Vanessa in the opening. I would KILL to see the episode of Billy dumping Vanessa on that couch.

I do like the visuals of the '70's ones with the stripey lighthouse.

Question: someone must know where Guiding Light shot their outdoor scenes in the early '80's. Specifically for Nola and Quint's wedding, and Reva's walk after the non-wedding to Kyle (which, honestly, I just rewatched and is lowkey hilarious in retrospect. I didn't even remember that was when Josh returned, but knew it the moment I caught sight of Josh's leather jacket. Robert Newman must've worn that thing forEVER.)