Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That is a story that would be just as juicy to follow today!

I wish Mercedes McCambridge had made a special guest appearance at some point in the later years as Mary Holden.

It's strange to think that was the same actor who played The Major on "Soap."

• Members

In the original run, the role of the "guiding light" evolved. Arthur Peterson went to war so the character of Reverend Rutledge was written out of the series with Dr. Richard Gaylord taking over. Peterson returned from service and temporarily returns, but ends up leaving again. Gaylord may stay on for a bit, but he wasn't the final "guiding light." That role belongs to Phil Lord's Reverend Frank Tuttle, who was introduced in the fall of 1945 (most likely October). 

I think a lot of the show's "old guard" disappears when Rutledge goes off to War. I don't see many references to Ned and Mary Holden, Rose Kransky, or others. I think Mrs. Kransky sticks around because her son Jacob is sent off to War and she is around later when Clare Lawrence is around as is her adoptive son, Ricky, and his mother, Nina, who was the first wife of Clare's then husband, Tim. 

Another thing to remember is that the first time "Guiding Light" is cancelled (October 13, 1939) the Kranskys are launched into a new serial, "The Right to Happiness," which premiers Monday. When "Guiding Light" returns in early 1940, the Kranskys are transferred back and "The Right to Happiness" has to alter its story structure.

• Members

I recently was watching a season 1 episode of Medical Center from 1969 titled " Moment Of Decision". In the episode Tyne Daly (back when she was young with long hair) played Jennifer the daughter of Dr. Lochner(played by Tyne's real life father James Daly). Jennifer comes home for a visit and reveals she is engaged to be married to her boyfriend Peter. Peter is played by Robert Gentry (ex Ed). Jennifer also reveals she has a brain aneurysm and has to have surgery.

This must have been right after Gentry left GL. When Dr. Lochner & Dr. Gannon (Chad Everett) keep explaining all the medical stuff to him, I kept thinking " You should know this, your a doctor ".....LOL

I've seen bits and pieces of Gentry's first run as Ed. I wish some circa 1967-69 color episodes would surface to see more of his later run. That 1968 CBS promo where he and Bill get into a shoving match makes me want to see more, plus they do the heart transplant storyline. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Sigh.  The '60's.  When a girl on TV couldn't experience anything in life without dying at the same time...

She's graduating from college/nursing school - and she's dying!

She's getting engaged to her college sweetheart - and she's dying!

She's going to have the baby she's always dreamed of - and she's dying!

She's published the Best Selling Novel of All Time and she's winning the Nobel Prize for discovering the cure for cancer - and guess what? She's dying (and from something that her cure can't cure)!

She's always!  [!@#$%^&*]!  DYING!

Edited by Khan

• Members

LOL....that's true. Women were written as victims and helpless. Surprisingly Jennifer has the surgery and everything is OK . They plan to get married and move to another country for Peter's work. 

Gentry is very good in his role as Peter refusing to leave Jennifer's side and puts his career plans on the line. He also wears a lot of late 60's cool threads.

• Members

And the episodes always have the most mawkish-sounding titles, too.  Like, "A Marigold for Margie."  (In that one, she's a botanist in her early '20's, who has contracted a rare blood disease that will prevent her from fulfilling her lifelong dream of visiting Africa and studying the plant life there.)

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

So true. I remember seeing a Marcus Welby called " The Girl From Rainbow Beach" where a soon to be bride discovers during her blood test for marriage that she has leprosy. This episode was done in 1970. Her fiancée played by Don Galloway dumps her in the end.

Most of time the girl in these stories will try to commit suicide after getting a grim diagnosis. It seems like Jessica Walter played those roles a lot. 

In the early days of that theme, they had a female soprano moaning along with it. They said after about a year they dropped it because viewers complained it was creepy. Charles Paul the music directors wife was the female singer. Imagine the conversation from the big wigs telling Paul his wife's voice was creeping people out.

• Members

Yep, lol!

Another missed opportunity: having AP return - in later years, of course, probably after "Soap" was dead and gone - for an episode as the spirit of Reverend Ruthledge.  For instance, he could've returned during GL's big 50th anniversary celebration, providing counsel to one of the younger characters who was in crisis (although, chances are, it would've been Johnny Bauer and his damn cancer, lol).  And after he/she/they had overcome their dilemma, they go back to thank the man, but learn he had died during WWII.

I still would love to know which fool at P&G or CBS approved that opening.  The music is okay (although, a little sleepy), but those visuals are just too muddy-looking.