Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed..Hawk was basically written as a cartoon but Gil made him more. I loved his relationship with "Sister" and with Sarah..."You old FOOL!" and I laughed at that dumb "Mutton Woman" line every time..Hawk had Annie's number before anyone else. 

And Hawk Alex made no sense...the one scene I can remember BevAlex having with was her being totally disdainful..."Would you like anything?" Hawk.."Yea, uh a steak!" with Alex saying "Please get Mr. Shayne...a STEAK" as only Bev could say with disdain.  But Marj and him were funny as hell..and just reinforced that she should have played another character not Alex and would have been great!

• Members

Millette/Sara was such a big part of the show in the 70's but the Dobsons didn't seem enamored of her despite her popularity.Joe was killed off (Did Anthony Call choose to leave?) and then she was given another murderous husband.

Marland married her off to Adam and then he was dropped and she gradually faded away,

This article from 1974

Rehashing a career in the soaps By STEVE HOFFMAN Enquirer TV-Radio Editor
You might say that Millette Alexander, Dr. Sara Mclntyre of CBS-TV's "The Guiding Light," is somewhat of a gun-shy person. That's not unusual. I know a lot of people who are fearful of guns and or back-peddle from touchy times. There are reasons Millette is this way. Nowadays on Channel 9's 2-2:30 p.m. soap opera, she is In danger. During a two-year run in "As the World Turns," she had fatal lupus. Things got close in "Edge of Night" for Millette, too.

We talked some weeks back over breakfast. Her name is unusual because her father wanted to name her after his father, Milton. "My father still has the paper where he worked it out," she said, figuring a name for a boy and a girl.
SHE REVIEWED her "Guiding Light" role, which she began six years ago last January, her longest tenure in any vehicle. She was in "World Turns" two years "off and on" and in "Edge of Night" three different times, about "a year each time.

"I'm very busy and everybody's trying to kill me!" she said about "Guiding Light." Her face broke Into a grin, "I have a bucket clause in my contract, requiring that so many tears have to fall!" Her first "Light" husband was Lee Gantry, played by Ray Fullmer, Don DeFore's successor In "Hazel." Fullmer incensed Millette with his failure to know his lines. "I was trying to kill him in real life and he was putting poison in my sherry on the show!"
Last year, she was married to Joe Werner, in real life Anthony Call, on the show. "He wasn't trying to kill me but a girl he was having an affair with was trying to kill me!" she said. She was only supposed to play "World Turns" for a short time Millette said she was getting "a substantial guarantee and I wasn't working!" Writer Irna Phillips was forced to keep her around for two years. It seems like the four-month role turned into two years because experts found that Millette was labeled with that form of lupus which is not fatal. All those with the non-fatal kind protested, forcing the continuation.

Milette has had one sweet daytime hitch, that time when she played a commercial artist on "Edge of Night," for a year and a half. "1 got married on camera to Wesley Adclie, Celeste Holm's real-life hubby," she said. "It was a most beautiful wedding!" On two later stints with "Edge of Night," she was Laura and Julie Hillyer, look-a-like wives to Lester Rawlins' character. "I fell madly in love with a deejay who was after my money so I killed him in a fit of passion and killed  myself in a cliff fall." After four months off the show, Millette came back as another Hillyer spouse. "I was a Marilyn Monroe type, a frustrated singer," she said. She remembered the friction as Laura Hillyer: "I'M SO terrified with guns, sometimes I go hysterical!" she said. "I absolutely go to pieces on the show around guns. But, they know they get good scenes from me when I'm that way!"
Her current heavy four-five-days-a-week "Guiding Light" schedule will soon reduce to once or twlce weekly. Millette began rehearsals last Monday for an off-Broadway run of "Medea," the Greek classic. She plays Chorus, the audience interpreter, a la "Our Town." Millette delighted In talking about doing her first play in 10 years, since understudying Connie on Broadway in "Come Blow Your Horn." In shorter summer stock, she has done "A Shot in the Dark" with Eva Gabor and "Fifth Season " with Menasha Skulnik. She said that doing other dramatic forms "can only help me do better In 'Guiding Light."' She said an actor "has to do outside work to become emotionally and intellectually refreshed: Otherwise, you become repetitive and uninteresting'
In real life, Millette has been divorced for two years from her second husband. She has three children from two unions, Jenny 10, Will,. 12 and Adam, 17. They live together in rural Nyack, N. Y., on a five-acre spread three miles from Helen Hayes' residence. "I've met her a couple of times at social functions and what-not in Nyack!" Millette said about Miss Hayes. Right now, the Alexanders care for five dogs, six cats, 2.1 chickens and a pony. She "pardoned" two goats: "I found them a home; they're much happier and I'm much happier" It was  her first trip to Cincinnati, home of Procter & Gamble, sponsor of all three soaps she has played. ""I feel like I'm coming home because I've worked for them for a lot of years. I feel very comfortable here!"

• Members

I really liked this. Especially the addition of Gregory Burke (Ben) & yes he does resemble Matt Bomer a  bit. Gregory, Rachel & Bryan seemed to be good friends during GL. It was fun just seeing them talking to one another and remembering their time on the show