Paul Raven

Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

Season 3 mostly, which is one of my favorite seasons. Seasons 13-14 weren't great, they were just kind of there, although she had a horrible job to do.

Fairchild was delightful. She took over for another actress, and I don't even remember her name. Morgan was truly something special. Throughout my many years of watching soaps, I have always intuitively known when I was watching a special talent, and I had that feeling instantly about Miss Fairchild. I knew that her time in soaps would be shortlived, that she would move on to much bigger things, and she did. She took a somewhat cliched character and made her one of the most memorable in a soap which ran for 35 years -quite an accomplishment considering she was not even on for three full years. I feel that Morgan was well received by the audience. I felt pity for her even when she did terrible things. She was so beautiful yet insecure. She fell for Scott Phillips, an alcoholic who abused and neglected her (and Scott was more or less considered a nice character). He made her pregnant, married her, and still pined for the cold fish Kathy. Seriously, how anyone could ignore the beautiful Jennifer for bitchy Kathy beggars belief. Scott lied to Jennifer, and I will never the forget the day in July 1975 when a confrontation and violent argument between the two led to Jennifer falling in slow motion through their glass patio door. Jennifer was scarred horribly in the accident, miscarried her baby, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen. Scott went back to Kathy, and Jennifer thought no man would ever want her again because of the hideous scar running across her face. Once the scar was removed with surgery, Jennifer found herself falling for John Wyatt. Again, John was a typical man. He had problems with Eunice and turned to Jennifer, and when Eunice wanted him back, John dumped Jennifer. She was desperate to get him back. She and sidekick Stephanie (sort of a perverse Lucy and Ethel) cooked up a scheme to lure John back to Jennifer's apartment by claiming there was a mad rapist loose in the complex! When the plot failed, Jen took an overdose of sleeping pills. The pills caused brain damage which led to Jennifer's hallucinations and psychotic behavior later. It was really sad, and in the end, Jennifer ended up in a mental institution. I was disappointed to see Fairchild go, but she was so special -beautiful, sophisticated, talented, and charismatic- you just knew she was going places.

I just asking because my mom was a huge fan of SF during this time (she was in her late teens/early 20's.. the target demo) and totally remembers Morgan Fairchild, Michael Nouri, and Meg Bennett. When I was growing up, whenever any of those three were on a show, she instantly recognized them and recalled their stories back in the 70's.

I did ask her recently why she stopped watching SFT and all she said was that the show became boring and lost focus. Though she did remember Jane Krawkowski/Lisa Peluso/Cynthia Gibb/Michael Corbett as well but wasn't as big a watcher at that time.

Season 3 mostly, which is one of my favorite seasons.

See, as much as I love KNOTS LANDING as a whole, for me, KL doesn't truly come alive until S4, w/ the introduction of Ciji Dunne (Lisa Hartman) and Chip Roberts (Michael Sabatino). That's really when they figured out how to balance the character-driven drama that creator David Jacobs wanted with the sort of soapy plotlines which CBS craved.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled thread. ;-)

I hope I have a nice treat for the Search for Tomorrow fans. I saw a 12-page article on the show's history up to 1965. There was a second part of the article, but unfortunately, I don't have it. I also have a resembling 17-page article about Another World and a 13-page article on Love of Life. Both are from the early 1970s. I guess I'll scan and upload those too somewhere in the future. Here are all the scans of SFT:

sft1a.jpg

sft2a.jpg

sft3a.jpg

sft4a.jpg

sft5a.jpg

sft6a.jpg

sft7a.jpg

sft8a.jpg

sft910.jpg

sft1112.jpg

Edited by Bojangles

WOW!!!

That is just unbelievable. I can't thank you enough for posting these priceless pages. I knew some of the stories, but not all of them, and not all of the actors either. I had no idea Lee Grant or Constance Ford were ever on the show. And those anecdotes were priceless, from the squirrel line to cover up a noise, to the touching scene of Mary Stuart and Lyn Loring singing and dancing to help fill a short episode. That type of thing just reinforces how much more entertaining live TV could be.

I also never knew about this friend of Jo's named Nathan. I wonder what happened to him after he came back from the drowning.

Were Hazel/Sue the first twins on soaps (even if Hazel was already dead)?

It seems like SFT was a very special show when they had that formula of Jo and her friends fighting against wickedness. Once they started killing off kids and having miscarriages and having so much about Jo's husband cheating over and over it sounds like the show lost some of its core identity.

And that's about the first time I've ever heard anyone pay Ann Marcus (or her writing, anyway) a compliment, lol.

Probably because I am one of the few posters here who has actually seen the work I discuss and not simply read about it in a book or magazine. I also understand that the "blame" for poor storylines doesn't always fall upon the shoulder of the producer or writer. Most situations are far more complex than the "I didn't like such and such, and so-and-so were the headwriters and producer, so they must be hacks" attitude.

According to her kids' book, though, Ann Williams told them Mary Stuart was jealous of her b/c of the amount of fan mail she (Williams) always received.

Mary may have hated Ann's guts. I have not a clue about the women's feelings for one another. I do know that a producer who was there felt that Ann desperately did not want to lose her job.

That article was a real treat.

Was any explanation given as to what happened to Janet's child by Bud? It's interesting that Janet and Patti were originally roughly the same age but when Milee Taggart took over in 71,Janet now had two teen children while Patti was still in her 20's.Did the writers rewrite that Janet and Patti were friends?

Probably because I am one of the few posters here who has actually seen the work I discuss and not simply read about it in a book or magazine. I also understand that the "blame" for poor storylines doesn't always fall upon the shoulder of the producer or writer. Most situations are far more complex than the "I didn't like such and such, and so-and-so were the headwriters and producer, so they must be hacks" attitude.

Seriously, there is no need to defend yourself. I just said that very few, if any, have ever complimented Ann Marcus' work as a HW. If you're taking my comments (about this, and/or what I said in regards to Mary Stuart's alleged animosity toward Ann Williams) as a personal affront, please don't, b/c it isn't. It truly isn't. :)

True, on message boards in general, there are so few posters who have seen the actual material in regards to 70's, and many times even 80's. Fidning someone who acutally was viewer in the 60's is a rare bird indeed. I LOVED Ann Marcus' writing on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.... it was stellar. Here is a bit of Ann talking with Louise Lasser at the Paley Center, and another video of her talking about her career. I guess she's still living, she's almost 90!

http://www.shemadeit.org/meet/summary.aspx?m=84

Edited by alphanguy74

From the 1/77 Daytime TV Stars, their news section:

Beautiful Morgan Fairchild (Jennifer on Search for Tomorrow) is dating Telly Savalas! Their relationship bloomed after Telly had come to New York for the filming of twelve episodes of Kojak. One day Morgan had been cabbing between Queens and Manhattan and her cab got stuck in traffic. Telly was in another car which was also stopped in traffic. He spotted her, then walked out of his car and went over to her cab. "I'm Telly Savalas," he said. "I know," said Morgan. "Well, who are you?" said he; "I think I've seen you somewhere." I'm an actress on a soap opera," said Morgan. That's how it began. Morgan says that she's extremely fond of the famous actor -- but of course it isn't serious, not yet. Morgan had previously been dating Petrocelli star Barry Newman. She's even more gorgeous in person than on television. It's easy to see why famous nighttime actors are attracted to her.

They also have a section with Val Dufour where he talks about how it's a shame that he has to act like he's unresponsive to Morgan in their love scenes, because he's supposed to want to go back to his wife Eunice. He says Morgan's a turn-on, but a good friend, and that's more important.

Val Dufour was gay and is Morgan Fairchild a lesbian? I ask this in light of the fact that she has never had a publicized serious relationship and is single and over 50. Those 'dating' stories don't mean much.

Val Dufour was gay and is Morgan Fairchild a lesbian? I ask this in light of the fact that she has never had a publicized serious relationship and is single and over 50. Those 'dating' stories don't mean much.

Well she did have a yen for martial arts...as per DAYLIGHT TV's April 1976 issue:

scan0001.jpg

Nice photo of Morgan there.

From 12/78 Soap Opera Digest, S.O.D Publishing Inc; the show's 27th anniversary party.

08-18-2010115808AM.jpg

08-18-2010115302AM2.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

Personally, I've always suspected Morgan Fairchild of being "omnisexual," willing to do whatever with whomever to get ahead. (Of course, you could say the same about many in Hollywood, couldn't you, lol?) Either way, if she's still single, I think it has less to do w/ sexual preference and more to do with the impracticality of it. Why marry, after all, when you're Morgan Fairchild, and you already have all the financial security you need?