Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for that.

Was that Dr Bob Rogers in the hospital scenes with Cissy?

Interesting that the Italian SFT had different music and titles...wonder why they didn't just replicate the US version? They anticipated later US soap openings with character names and visuals.

FY!

Mary Stuart returned to Search Sept 6 1955 after having given birth on April 30. Was this when Teri Keane took over?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I thought he left in 1979, not 1983. Hmmm.

Neither Jo nor Stu ever mentioned the fact that they were step-siblings, thanks to their widowed parents marrying each other. I wonder if any of the series' later writers ever researched the history enough to know that bit of trivia.

You are right: great clips. If used well, I love flashbacks so much!

• Members

Was David (the David mentioned here) ever seen on the show? Does Stu get back with Wilma or was she not seen? I can't say the singing clip did much for me...

Larry Haines and Mary Stuart did a lot with the script they were given (and it was very classy of the show to give them an episode all to themselves), but I was most happy to see some of those flashbacks. It makes me wonder just how much is out there we haven't seen. Was that Lynn Loring's last episode they were showing footage from?

The contrast between those old clips and the McCleary-fest in the final montage was a bit jarring.

Is the baby Marge had later in life the child who showed up again in the '80s?

Is the woman at 5:23 a soap actress? She looks so familiar.

Watching this reminds me of just how important friendships used to be to soaps, and how meaningless they now are. The NBC soaps in particular in that era seemed to emphasize friendship. I miss it.

• Members

I only watched the show in the mid 1970s to around 1980, and have seen a few episodes since, including the finale. When Stu was dithering about Wilma and David I said to myself in jest "they ran off together," not expecting that they really had. It was kind of funny because it had happened to Stu before, when Billie Lou Watt (Ellie Bergman) left the show in 1980, Stu had to announce that Ellie had run off with the cook (out of absolutely nowhere). Lazy writers had just not bothered to write a real exit.

According to IMDb, Anita Gillette later appeared as Wilma in the finale, though I don't specifically recall that (maybe a flashback?). I remember her from ALL THAT GLITTERS, a brief, strange syndicated soap from the 70s. 

The baby Marge was talking about was Tom, who I remember as a young John James (pre-DYNASTY). Looking it up, that was in 1977, though I know Tom came back later at some point.

• Members

@vetsoapfan Was that the episode you had wished was on youtube awhile?  The 35th anniversary episode?

I have to admit I really enjoyed watching the episode and thought the show crafted a great 35th anniversary featuring the two tent pole characters Stu and Jo.  For a 30 minute episode, I think the show did well with paying tribute to the show and it's two tentpole characters... which baffles my mind why modern day soaps can't see fit to do a worthy anniversary episode in a 60 minute time slot.

There wasn't any writer credits at the end of that episode.. was this before, or after, Pam Long/Addie Walsh took over as head-writers of the show?  It has their touches since they were strong writing friendships between characters.

• Members

Another way you remember the bigger budgets of that era is the music - "That's What Friends Are For" and the theme from St. Elmo's Fire. 

The latter made me smile - a theme for those who were hyped as the young and hot of that era, used for Jo and Stu, two characters who were eternally vibrant. 

• Members

David was Dr. David Glenn, portrayed by Jack Betts. Yes, he appeared on the show and was there until the end. As I recollect, when Gary Tomlin was still head writer, he started laying the ground work for David's introduction. It seemed -- to me anyway -- that David had some kind of connection with Jo's past but that angle got dropped.

The woman in the commercial. Isn't that Nicolette Goulet?

It was definitely Addie Walsh and Pam Long. The episode aired in September 1986. I think Walsh/Long showed up in June/July.