Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's bad enough that he messes things up about the shows he is not as familiar with, but didn't he WORK at GL? Sad.

In any case, I'll still give the chat a whirl because I'd like to hear what Marcia and Michael had to say. A Maree/Lisa mother/daughter chat is a terrific idea for a future show. Too bad Nelson Aspen can't moderate these chats.

• Members

OUR memory for details is incredible!  LOL

Marcia referenced Hogan and Patti’s wedding “in Ireland” and I winced.  But, man, she remembered Lee Godart’s character’s name (Bela Garody) and was immediately redeemed. 

Marcia was still unhappy about being killed off OLTL. She laughed about Eterna. 

Michael reminded us that there was a time lapse between David Kimball on Y&R going into the dumpster and getting trash compacted, and the dead victim was probably a homeless man, so David’s alive and Michael’s ready to return!  He also said he was up for a role on GH recently, the one that went to Gregory Harrison (Alan assumed). 

Marcia regretted Sunny losing Hogan to Liza, but admitted that Liza was the leading lady, so...

When Hogan and Liza didn’t work out (Luann Gideon was not mentioned or blamed, but Hogan and Liza worked with Sherry Mathis in the role), Hogan then went to Patti. Marcia explained that Patti was Jo’s daughter and seemed to accept that she was a major legacy character who needed a leading man.  I still wanted Hogan with Sunny. 

• Members

@DRW50 It's completely understandable. Joanna Lee's tenure is so well regarded and Sunny's rape was one of the last big stories that "Search for Tomorrow" told that didn't feel like a complete gimmick. I think its also one of the last stories that Gary Tomlin put into place. He would end up as headwriter at "Another World" in either March or April of 1984. 

What I've seen of Barrett's first few months were very good, but I think she was basically encouraging Tomlin and Glynn to take the story that was already in place and just slow it down and cut it down. There was a lot happened on Lee / Tomlin's "Search for Tomorrow." Everyone seemed to have a little bit of something. I know that most people cite Vargas' kidnapping of Jo as what boosted the ratings, but the show was just really strong in the summer and fall of 1983 as that kidnapping story was climaxing. Not only did Vargas have Jo, but Steve's paternity secret was about to come out, Stephanie and Steve had their aborted wedding, Wendy learned she was pregnant just as Warren decided to stay with Suzi because of her money, and there was a Stephanie / Liza and Lloyd / Travis rivalries brewing over business and personal issues.  Lee's departure in December 1983 really hurt the momentum as it coincided with the supposedly pre-planned mass exodus of cast members around Christmas 1983 only to be followed by an influx of new characters in early 1984. 

The bits and pieces that have crept up from the summer of 1984 are interesting, but not as strong as 1983. I also find myself interested in not so much because it's interesting but because everything is so new and different. The fall of 1984 into early 1985 seems very very bleak and dark.

I wonder what Tomline would have done if he stayed? I know Barrett seemed to do a second major cast dump in the summer of 1984. I don't think the newcomers of the second wave survived to well (the Kendall twins, Justine, Adair, Cord Touneur and his half-sister Victoria). In particular, I'm curious what Tomlin planned for Elan story. Weren't there hints at one point that she may have been Adair and Alec's or Adair and Chase's kid? I also wonder how Tomlin would have handled the Suzi / Wendy relationship once Michael Corbett left the show. 

I know Tomlin's second stint isn't as well regarded though I think there were a couple of producers involved during his second stint. The show's last two years sound and feel so stunt oriented. I do like the serial killer stuff which is very much a stylized stunt. I don't think it helped the show. And I don't think making Sarah a vixen was a skill in Michelle Joyner's wheelhouse. I thought Mayer Avila and Braxton created a very nice triangle there that was quickly abandoned. I am curious what the original plans were for Estelle which I think may have been sidelined by the revamp. Wasn't Estelle suppose to be a much more menacing character? 

• Members

The last few months of Search seemed to have a nice focus and tone.  Stu/Jo got renewed focus and they were a huge part of the Ella Hobbs story ( a good against type performance by Ann Flood).  So when the show ended, it was in a good place (last scene was a perfect ending for the show).  Walsh/Long couldn't have the show, but they ended the show with dignity unlike ATWT or GL

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think that Gary Tomlin was the show's greatest writer - certainly during the final years.   (He was also the best producer of One Life to Live.)

I got the impression that he was supervising the show during the time that C. David Colson was the headwriter - maybe as unbilled story consultant.   I think that Mr. Tomlin was the official writer of Another World at the time.

• Members

Apologies if this was mentioned before, but I only just just found this out while looking up Corrine Conley. Apparently CBC in Canada mounted a short-lived radio version of SFT where she starred, many years before her run on DAYS as Phyllis.

More info here:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27937652/the-ottawa-citizen/

Edited by beebs

• Members

Gah! Thank you @Paul Raven. I'm gonna do a quick scan and maybe find out some more info for you on start and end dates as well. CBC's archives have not been well-publicized, unfortunately, and I'm unsure if Broadcast Centre will be open for tours or anything once lockdown ends, but I will investigate further.

Thanks for pointing me toward your post!

• 4 weeks later...