Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You're Welcome!!! 

One of the episodes I left off of was when Jenny got knocked out by Ringo(?) I was like they were trying to make her the show's new heroine? 

I love seeing Stu still being part of the community but having his own stories since we know in a decade characters his age would get little to no screen time albeit few exceptions. I was quite delighted to see him interacting with Liza. The only time I remember Stu interacting with his granddaughter from the past episodes I saw was the live episode. 

And it is great seeing Cynthia Gibb's Suzy and Lisa Peluso's Wendy interacting as stepsisters and best friends. I didn't know Suzy was involved with Warren so early. This makes me miss friendships on soaps especially with two young females starting out in life in adulthood. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

I thought Lee was Rusty's nephew. I know @slick jones recently added a description to E.N. Sentell, who I thought was Lee's father or brother. 

I'm a little rusty on some of Sunny's stories, but wasn't she originally brought on as a love interest for Tom Bergman in the late 1970s or was it always Sunny and Lee? Cissie and her brother Beau Mitchell came in late 1979/early 1980. Lee was dealing with some impotency issues and Cissie was able to awaken a part of him or something along those lines. Once she was pregnant, Cissie found an ally (briefly) in Spence Langley, who had pretended to be Stephanie's long lost son, Brian Emerson. Of course, Cissie later gave the baby up to Liza and Travis. Now that I think about it, I wonder if Millee Taggert was involved in writing this. The Cissie / Liza / Travis story is very similar to the Abril / Trisha / Trucker storyline including someone pretending to be the father (Monty / Spence). At the very least, Taggert would have been on the show at the time. 

Anyway, Cissie left in June 1982, or thereabouts. I think Patsy Pease left the show of her own accord, but it was during the big casting purge after the show transitioned to NBC. She took Roger Lee and left town. In those episodes on YouTube, Lee leaves town in November / December and I believe joins them. . In the Hong Kong episode posted recently, Dane Taylor is actually mentioned as coming to town soon. I thought he didn't appear until 1982, but I guess he did appear earlier in 1981. 

I thought they should have brought Lee and Roger Lee back in 1984 when they wrote out Travis. I think they could have said that Lee and Cissie had split. Then, you could have done a Liza / Lee / Sunny triangle which I think would have made more sense than the Liza / Hogan / Sunny story. With that said, I still thought the Hogan centered story had some good moments, along with some tougher ones. 

Jenny's backstory is definitely being mined in several directions. I'm curious what the intentions of Ralph Ellis and Eugenie Hunt were with the Danielle piece of the story. Would Jenny's daughter still been revealed in the same manner? Ringo was trying to be kill Jenny because Jenny had known about Ringo and Warren's involvement in the gun running. Before Jenny had suffered amnesia, she had been involved with someone else in the ring and eventually he was killed. I believe Jenny witnessed her boyfriend's murder and, as a result, Ringo wanted to off her. There is a very homoerotic subtext to Warren and Ringo's relationship. I kept wondering when Warren was going to start cheating on Suzy with Ringo. There is a joke in one of the David Cherrill episodes that definitely played up that suggestion. If daytime was more daring, I would have played the Jenny / Warren backstory as Warren participating in excess in Los Angeles (drugs, alcohol, and sex) and make it clear he had been paying Jenny to sleep with him and Ringo. Obviously, Jenny's backstory couldn't have been given to Patti and a Patti / Stu pairing would have been tawdry, but I wonder if Linda Gibboney would have worked as Patti. The only problem is that age bracket was so underdeveloped at that point and time. I'm not even sure what stories could have been played there. 

Dane Taylor was a waste. I don't think he fit well into the show. I felt like Hunt and Ellis were laying the groundwork for some sort of deeper connection between Dane / Liza before they left. I just don't think Dane as a superspy or a music producer had a whole lot of mileage. 

On Travis's Wikipedia bio. It states that Lee is his cousin. Also on the Sept 20, 1982 episode. Lee introduced himself to Rusty as Edward's son. Where Rusty comments that he looks like a Sentell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Sentell  Lee and Rusty's scene starts at 10:05. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Hey everyone...I was wondering about the show's pre-emptions. Has this been discussed before?

Jason47's site lists the pre-emptions for Days of Our Lives in the 1980s. 

Can we assume that every time Days was pre-empted (due to holiday, sports, inaugurations, etc.) the other NBC soaps were also pre-empted....including Another World, Santa Barbara and Search for Tomorrow?

• Members

I believe Sunburst was an alternate fuel project. That storyline went on for nearly a year I believe, but I don't think it was every truly resolved. I know Travis stood to make a great deal of money off the development of the alternate fuel and that Rusty was after the money. I think the story started under Don Chastain, and, from the sounds of it, got him fired. Ellis and Hunt continued it, but I think it was scrapped by David Cherrill. 

I think it was Tourneur Instruments, which was an avaition company. The Kendall family had also been involved in manufacturing of aircraft I believe. Lloyd's father Harrison (I believe that was his name) had committed suicide because of faulty airplane parts.