Y&R: Episodes discussion, Week of August 31

• Members

I just don't quite buy him in this role, we barely know him and already he is shouting orders. I wonder if this is more about budget, as they now don't have to use Det. Gill.

I would like to hear more about why he craves danger and what Nina thinks of this. Does all the murder he saw as a child make him want to live every moment?

I didn't think they'd use Andrea Evans flashbacks because they might want to bring her on eventually as Tawny, but if Patty and Paul didn't have much of a relationship, then flashbacks serve no purpose.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really don't care what Chance's profession is, even if he was an MP, wouldn't he have to receive some certification in the state of Wisconsin? That is not an immediate process. But whatever, I could overlook all that.

What bothers me about this character is their lack of willingness to explore who he is, other than being a talk to for Chloe. Hell, this is Jill's grandson and we've HARDLY seen them interact. Why is Jill such an afterthought to this awful writing regime?

Chance seems so pointless, and I wanted the character back earlier in the year. All they've told us about him is that he's a nice guy and he possibly has feelings for Chloe, and I don't really seem any chemistry between those two. I don't want Chloe dragged down by a "safe" choice, because that isn't fun to watch.

Good guys can be compelling characters, but with Chance, that's all we know about him - he's a good guy, which they keep hitting us over the head with.

But then again, this crappy writing team isn't used to writing characters that aren't sleazy, psychos, and hideously one-dimensional. So I can see how they'd have problems writing for someone noble.

• Members

Chance is just there as a placeholder for Billy. I won't be surprised if she gets pregnant with Billy's child and says it's Chance's.

They are never going to give Jill a meaningful story or have her interact with her family. She's irrelevant to them. Poor Jess.

• Members

Last week they had made references to long-lost Williams brother Steve by name, wasn't he involved with Peggy Brooks briefly?

On today's show I enjoyed Patty stuff as I did last week but I really could have done without the rest which is more repetition. At least no Lane though...

• Members

Yes, I caught that as well.. them mentioning Steve. GOOD. Yes, he was involved with Peggy Brooks for a short time. I haved no idea what happened to David Winn. It'd be a hell of a coup to get him back for the finale of this, wouldn't it? I wonder if we'll see Corbin this week, he's certainly needed... especially since Carolyn Conwell is MIA. I thought Haiduk did great today. I think her redemption will hinge on her having SERIOUS mental issues, being heavily medicated, and being under a doctor's care BEFORE Victor got a hold of her.

• Members

Well color me bad! I am sorry I missed that. I still wish the whole Chance integration had gone slower:

- dealing with returning military issues

- dealing with a returning-from-the-dead dad

Seeing Chance's journey to figure out what he wanted to do next with his life...to find his place in this town and with his family...all that would have been entertaining to me and would have solidified the character for me.

But, why quibble? Chance actually is one of the least concerning characters to me at this time.

Well, I have hopes. But you highlight an issue to which I will return below...

As alphan said, it was nice that Steve was mentioned. As I recall, he was left at the altar (for Jack!) by Peggy Brooks. He was part of the team (with Peggy) that investigated and ultimately brought down the New World cult. I vaguely remember some dates with Jill too (could that be? played by Deborah Adair?). I recall that she referred to herself as the "mousy" girl he ignored in high school.

I have no idea what to make of the Mary ("she's slowing down") and Carl ("he's still not there") references from last week. Would Patty know about Carl's amnesia? Why on earth can't this be addressed?

I realize we long-term fans are the SCOURGE of the writers, like Star Trek nerds, constantly hooking them up on "canon". But, g*dd*mmit, I've invested 36 years of my life in this sh!t, and I want my Williams' at least address. Good God! Say she died offscreen for all I care. But say something! :lol:

See, I think the Jill problem is the same as the Chance problem.

Today, Victor was playing "pain" over remembering the loss of Sabrina. But it was so rushed and instrumental, I actually didn't feel his pain. (I did, last year, when she died over several episodes).

The plot-plot-plot rush produces an emotionally unsatisfying experience.

That is what is the matter with Jill, Gloria, Michael...anyone you can imagine. We're not seeing their emotions. We're not seeing the reactions of others in their orbit. I understand why this is. Rehearsal is gone. They're now taping only 4 days a week, and even then they bank enough episodes that they can go dark for weeks at a time ("hiatus"). When you're rushing like this, it comes across on screen.

That said, I have to finish on a positive. Today had several deeply satisfying moments:

- pathetic Patty, weeping for her cat, thanking her 'friends' for rescue. I just want to put my arms around her and make her feel better. That is the mark of a good actress.

- Eileen Davidson played Ashley, at the end of the episode, as "awake". Her eyes radiated "clarity of vision". That actress has skills!

- It was very, very satisfying to see Jack put the pieces together, and to begin the brinksmanship ("highest bidder") for Mary Jane. I am looking forward to what I presume will be the "fall-of-Victor" storyline to come.

I also am pretty much alone in these parts in my love for Gloria. But let me say, she brings levity to all these scenes, and she is a lot of fun for me. Is she reprehensible? Yup! But she's fun-bad to me.

• Members

That could easily retify this in the writing and they're not, things will get worse over the Fall, watch.

See last week's weekly thread about the spoiler discussion, that is now in the spoiler forum, regarding how stupidly botched Victor's "fall" is, if you want to even call it a "fall." I don't think you'll be thrilled about where that story is heading...

• Members

You got that right, honey! I'm sure us Y&R history nerds must drive them crazy. Now, I LOVED Eileen's scene today, and her slamming the door in Adam's face was GLORIOUS... dare I say it, almost comical. And for lightness, I usually HATE Gloria... but today, I thought she was fun. I loved the "Holy SH!T" look on her face when she realized just HOW far off the beam Patty was.

• Members

The thing is when you bring a character back after 20+ years, then you are obligated to mention their history and the history of those around them. To do what Y&R has done and only give a cursory reference to the backgrounds of Phillip and Patty, why did you even bring them back? Phillip is there to make Cane more solid and then to meet Chance, but as happy as I am to see Doug Davidson get more airtime, I still have no idea why Mary Jane had to be Patty. The connection to Jack is flimsy and is the worst part of the story.

• Members

Where the HELL is Nikki? Why the HELL arent any of her family looking for her or finding it odd that she just disappeared without a trace?

How the HELL was Gloria able to get into that baricated church, close enough to get to Mary Jane and sneak her out?

• Members

Today was good. This week alot better than what wev'e been having, minaly due to the absence of the scoobies. I LOVE the walls closing in on Victor, I really hope he gets some sort of retribution.... but because Braeden is such a crybaby about always being the invincilbe Barney Bad-ass, I have my doubts. Paul banging on the door at the end was delicious, I don't care what anybody says, I don't think Doug is overacting. If this hadn't come on the heels of his wedding being called off, I might think he's overdoing it.... but in this case, I don't. Stafford is improving these last couple days, I know she's a good actress, but she's been phoning it in the last couple of weeks. Patty is out of control, and Gloria has bitten off more than she can chew... I love it. This IS very plot driven right now, but wer'e leading up to a big event and fallout, this is one time when the show SHOULD be plot driven. It just shouldn't have been for the last MONTH. Traci was mentioned today, something tells me we'll see her first appearance tomorrow or the next day. I can't wait. When Maitland is on this show, all is right with the world. The only thing that feels character driven right now is Mac and Billy. And maybe Sharon.... but this quad is SO tedious, just like every OTHER Quad in Y&R history, Lance/Lorie/Lucas/Leslie, Neil/Dru/Olivia/Malcolm, Victor/Nikki/Jack/Ashley

Archived