Y&R: Episodes discussion, Week of August 31

• Members

No, you can't assume that:

Sheila- Mentally Ill

David Kimball- Mentally ill

Rose Deville - greedy, diabolical bitch

And mental illness is no real motivation or excuse? How CALLOUS. And how are writers supposed to let us know what triggered it, whne in many cases DOCTORS don't know what triggers such things. It's like you being pissed because the writers don't tell us WHY, physically, Lily got cancer. Mental illness is STILL illness.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was Patty mentally ill in the 80's for an extended period of time?

No she wasn't, and her blacking out and shooting Jack was temporary, it wasn't anything long-term to justify her "mental illness." Many people snap in the heat of the moment and black it out afterwards, it doesn't mean they're "mentally ill." How CALLOUS of you to even suggest that.

And still not a motivation when we don't know how Patty got to this point in her life where she is. She certainly didn't leave town mentally ill, and we still haven't been hinted at or teased with what she went through DURING HER YEARS OFF THE SHOW. All of that is basic soap opera and all of that has yet to be even remotely touched on, not even a small bit.

But this discussion is going nowhere, you're just making excuses for things that don't exist on the show, and thus doesn't exist in the writing.

• Members

We could say any story does not need motivation, but motivation is a key part of a soap opera.

That is why I don't believe the people who now run Y&R have any idea of how to write for a soap. Or, for that matter, any drama.

Even Saved by the Bell had more motivation than most of the stories now. Viewers should not have to make all these assumptions, especially when the story is often forgotten or rewritten anyway.

• Members

Catching up on the weeks eps...

Why did we have the scene of Chance being told off by Owen at Crimson Lights?There was no follow up and it looked ridiculous that this kind of business was being conducted in public.Plus they had to pay the actor.

Why didn't Chance just come in and tell Nina or Chloe he had been brought to task?

Does Victor work anymore?All his scenes are at the ranch and he' s in jeans and horrible shirts.Why did his scene with Katherine have to occur on the doorstep?He's been reduced to answering his own door.Surely they could have an under five as a servant.

Tired of seeing Adam lurking outside rooms listening in for no reason.

Mind you,seeing Jeanne again and bringing up the Nikki situation were long overdue.

The Phillip/Chance/Nina scenes were a rerun of what we saw a couple of weeks ago-Nina and Phillip reminiscing and Phillip awkwardly reaching out to his son.There's so much good story waiting to be told.

Wouldn't Nina be curious if her gay ex husband had some action in all the years he's been in Oz?Phillip is being presented as sexless.

Katherine/Amber connection has been dropped.Wish the whole story was.

Traci definitely has to stay as a talk to/sane voice character.

Where is Jill? Instead we get Gloria's 'comedy' relief.When she was at the cabin flocking through the photo album,she came across a shot of John-a perfectly posed publicity shot of Jerry Douglas.Surely they could have got a casual snapshot-more the sort of thing you'd see in a family album.

• Members

Susan Flannery once gave an interview in which she referred to Stephanie on B&B as the tentpole character of the show. Beth Maitland's Traci should be the tentpole character of Y&R -- or at least the Abbotts. While Jack is using everybody to get at Victor, while Ash is going ga-ga and Billy is screwing anything in a skirt, Traci is the natural heir to her father's position as pillar of the community and the one people turn to for comfort and sage advice. Even when Victor lorded it over her on Friday, trying to intimidate her, her eyes showed she was standing up to him and that she was going to do what SHE felt was right. Just give Maitland a damn contract already!

And I know this is an unpopular opinion but Tammin Sursok did a very fine job on Friday. Pleading with Victor and then angry at Jack... I think this is the first time I felt TS came into her own in those scenes. She was, as Galen Gering (that acting behometh!) would say, "present" in her scenes.

Haven't watched in a week, so I don;t know WTF Gloria and Jeffrey are doing, holding Patty Jane hostage. And wouldn't Jack recognize Jeffrey's voice on the phone? Sorry if these issues have already been covered.

• Members

I don't think Y&R cares about tentpole characters. That involves using veteran characters, and many who are now at Y&R hate that. I still remember the open contempt many vets were treated with during Sheffer's ATWT run. I think at DAYS they sat around reading letters.

Archived