June 22-26, 2009

Toups

• Members

I agree the way the three ABC soaps switch places week to week means nothing at all they are all within the same range and they all suck. At this point what would firing Frons accomplish and he is doing his thing over at soapnet which I am sure the network cares more for at this juncture. I don't even think Disney cares enough about ABCD to have a thought on it and Frons and Co. are just doing what everyone else is doing not one independent creative thought among any of the soaps watching one is like watching all of them.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They won't open it up internationally because -- even if a show doesn't air in your country -- they don't want to damage current or future broadcast sales.

Streaming internationally is seldom profitable. Say, for example, Ragu wanted to sell tomato sauce as a streaming ad. Ragu is not available internationally. So the ads are useless elsewhere.

Even when you go with an international brand, like Diet Coke, it is not the same in other countries. Logos, packaging, even the name (e.g., it is "Coca Cola Light" it Germany).

That's why AgnesNixon.com is smart, at least in principle. They are digitizing the product, and then selling streaming rights (I guess, as an add-on to broadcast rights--not as standalone rights). So, if that formula works, the show should begin to have wider international distribution.

• Members

I realize it comes down to money, but at some point it will have to be realized that the old rules don't apply anymore. If it's a matter of partnership with a station within the second country than do it. It can only benefit the originator in the long run. There are too many ways around the rules now as far as YT or private email or whatever. The borders are more of an inconvenience than a deterrent. They would be smarter to be at the head of that curve rather than running to catch up.

• Members

I think replacing Frons would help. He's not just doing what everyone else is doing. He has a very unique vision which shuts out anyone who is not a man who happens to have the attention span of Al Bundy.

GH has had significantly more money and time spent on its behalf than OLTL, so for the show to not be ahead, to actually be below, that should be a wakeup call to someone at that network.

• Members

Not to be rude or anything, but I find it hilarious how some people on this board speak so matter-of-factly, as if they have an inside view into the goings on at a particular network.

Now do you know that ATWT is "toast in 2010"? Probably because that is what you have read in the entertainment magazines, just like everyone else. While rumors that GL would be canceled have been swirling for years, did anyone here get a heads up that it would actually occur on April 1, 2009? Probably not. You found out just like everyone else, by reading about it online.

• Members

Not to sound foolish but actually how would replacing him help and you have to add on his other functions besides soaps which he is actually doing fine with. I disagree about Fron and his "unique" vision I see the same thing that is happening on ABCD on other shows, weak females focus more on the man in their lives then themselves or not able to function without a man; favorites being pushed on the viewers and hogging of airtime, etc...

OLTL has the new gay storyline that is bringing interest to it for the time being and wasn't to long ago last in the lineup, I am sure the shows will switch places again and then again. Unfortunately for GH making a show HD doesn't bring viewers just makes it prettier to look at for the ones already watching. If a was a network bigshot I would see all the shows in the same boat not one of them are actually doing any better than the other just switching places on who gets to steer.

• Members

Lol. Sorry for that post about ATWT. I was posting while drinking Long Island Iced Teas.....like 5 of them. (In fact, just now I was reading a bunch of posts I apparently made that night that sounded kinda bitchy. Oh, well).

You're right, I don't know what's going to happen with ATWT. I'm only speculating.

• Members

Posting under the influence? None of us have EVER done that before! LOL! I still cringe when I think of posts I made when I got out of the burn clinic. I couldn't go anywhere so the web was my only outlet. I was LOADED on codeine and wine and feeling TOO fine, if you know what I mean!

• Members

Is there anything else on ABC Daytime besides The View, which was around years before he took over?

SoapNet turns a profit but I wonder how long the D-list wannabe reality shows and the bad TV movies from the 90s will hold up before people lose interest.

• Members

Who really knows what the future holds for soaps and it really saddens me that AMC hit an all-time low. Personally, I am enjoying the show very much and it keeps me entertained. Just started watching OLTL on a daily basis and I am enjoying Cristian/Layla, Brody/Jessica, Fish/Kyle and to some extend most of the other stories playing out. I just hope the soaps can remain viable and resurrect themselves some kind of way. But I have to agree with a previous post unfortunately I believe ATWT will be the next to go but that is merely an opinion.

Archived