June 22-26, 2009

Toups

• Members

SteveFrame, Guza is committed to his stories and they blow chunks so that isn't always good. I don't think that there is one way to be a good headwriter. I think everyone can have their own process. It is fine to change a story if isn't working. Marland and Bell did that all the time. What is boils down to is that a good headwriter must have a vision and the talent as a storyteller to share that vision in a compelling and entertaining way. If good storytelling exists, then network interference, unhappy fans and bad actors are not huge obstacles. The fans although always critical would be watching a soap that they find entertaiing and the ratings would be steady. A good storyteller would never give weak actors stories beyond their abilities. The network would continue to interfere, but would give the headwriter more leeway if the fans are happy and the ratings are steady.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is no way that I see this scenario happening. Also, this idea that ABC will hold on to the soaps or buy new ones to replace their old ones even as they lose millions of dollars is pure soap fan fiction.

• Members

Why couldn't ABC offer to give SONY a financial stake in SOAPnet (which had one of the largest increases in viewers over the past year, and continues to grow), and have part of the deal be a move for Y&R and DAYS to ABC Daytime?

If they could make the numbers work, they would do it.

I don't think it's "likely" to happen....but it certainly is an interesting possibility, and something ABC might want to explore as their own shows tumble.

ETA: ABC is not losing money on their soaps right now. They're not making as much money as they did in the past, but they're not losing money.

Archived