June 22-26, 2009

Toups

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I admit I don't even watch soapnet do they only show repeats of soap during those primetime hours?

I just found this on tvbynumbers:

USA Delivers Best Second Quarter Ever on Cable

Posted on 30 June 2009 by Bill Gorman

via press release:

USA DELIVERS BEST 2Q EVER ON CABLE

12TH Straight Quarterly Win in P18-49, P25-54 and Total Viewers

Beats CW by Double Digits & Beats Broadcast in 175 primetime hours

NEW YORK, NEW YORK June 30, 2009 USA won the second quarter of 2009 with cable’s highest ever 2nd quarter among P25-54 (1.47 million), P18-49 (1.37 million), total viewers (3.17 million) and households (2.37 million). This is the first time on cable any network has delivered over 3 million total viewers in a 2nd quarter.

This continues USA’s streak with 12 consecutive quarterly wins among P25-54, P18-49 and total viewers among ad-supported entertainment cable.

USA dunked the competition in 2Q09, as the #1 cable network over 2nd place TNT among P25-54 (+9% over #2 TNT), P18-49 (+3%), total viewers (+20%), and households (+20%), as well as securing the best household coverage rating in all of cable (2.41, +0.39 over #2 TNT).

• Members

Thanks for your source. I think that these statements are deliberately misleading. They do not mean that SoapNet has the highest number of 18-49 women viewers. "Frequency of viewing" means the number of times that people watch a show. SoapNet shows the soaps 5 times a week so women 18-49 watch the network 5 times a week. It does not mean that there are more viewers in this demo watching SoapNet than other networks e.g. there may only be 50,000 women in this demo watching SoapNet 5 times a week, while 1 million women watch a show like the Closer once a week on TNT. The statement about the "average minutes" does not reflect a high number of 18-49 women watching SoapNet as much as how the lenght of time that their small 18-49 women viewers watch the network.

• Members

SteveFrame, you know that even if they wanted to watch the soaps live that it is not realistic for most soap fans. People work and go to college. Even the bad economy is not providing more women viewers. Unemployment stats show that women are more likely to be keep their jobs than men. The soaps are fighting against an irreversible socio-demographic shift. There are no palatable solutions. I can't see that the day will come when television shows can be profitable through streaming them online alone. There would have to be large number of ads and even then people would likely have to pay to watch their shows online to cover production costs and licensing fees. Ultimately, the two or three soaps left will have to slash their budgets and use cheap production models to stay on the air.

• Members

I did watch OLTL, but only one day. I did not know any of the characters -- it was a bunch of strangers. I knew there were a lot of newbies, but it has only been a year since I tuned out. It is an entirely different cast and nothing caught my attention. It's too bad too. OLTL has mistreated and let go a lot of talent. It has a lot of good talent remaining and from the little bit I have seen and a whole bunch of what I have read, they are not using any of that talent.

What I noticed this week on a lot of shows, and again, I had not watched in a long time, but there was nothing on any of the soaps that caught my attention and wanted to make me tune back in. GH has apparently turned into high school Sonny, and I was actually hoping Michael's waking up would lead to something interesting. I still watch Y&R, but mostly because there are a couple of character who I want to follow.

• Members

You know, I tuned into Days last week, also after having not watched it in a long while. I agree with you. I didn't recognize those people, and there was one really annoying red-headed young woman who drove me nuts.

• Members

This is what I saw posted courtesy of Lskreet on another board. I have very graciously been granted permission to post them here.

HH

1. Y&R 3.5 (+.1)

2. B&B 2.3 (same)

3. DOOL 2.1 (+.1)

4. OLTL 1.8 (same) <---ties low

5. AMC 1.7 (-.1) <---new low

5. GH 1.7 (-.1) <---new low

7. ATWT 1.6 <---ties low

8. GL 1.4 (+.1)

• Members

Frons is probably crapping in his pants that OLTL is beating both AMC and GH. That's what Pratt/Guza get for being about plot devices and copying each other's storylines.

I cannot believe we're stuck with Pratt another year given these ratings.

Archived