June 1-5, 2009

Toups

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BlueLick, I agree that GH has majorly improved and I'm enjoying the show right now for the first time in a couple of years.

ATWT is definitely a goner in 2010 and Telenext wants to package GL with ATWT to get a new network deal so even if CBS decides to keep it. I think the showrunners will pull the plug themselves.

Either way it goes B&B and Y&R will be the last two soaps standing on the broadcasters.

• Members

CBS sees none of the international money. But...(1) if Brad Bell is making enough money overseas, he can lower his license fee to the point that the show remains profitable for CBS. In other words, the rest of the world subsidizes B&B for CBS. (2) Since B&B is taped at CBS Television Studios, I assume the network earns rent and royalties from the show. This is unlike the P&G soaps, from which CBS gets no studio income at this point (does it?).

Slightly different ratings issue, from Sara Bibel

• Members

Exactly. Not to mention, even if Bradley Bell lowers the license fee, if B&B continues to drop and continues to suck and continues to attract an older demographic, CBS will know when to cut it's losses.

• Members

Bibel writes like a regular soap fan with no understanding of economics and network priorities. I am sure that SoapNet is disappointed that Southern's ratings dropped off, but it is cheap to produce so SoapNet will continue to look for cheaper programming.

GH's struggles are not surprising since its ratings are never published in the SoapNet's press release.

• Administrator

B&B's not going to be cancelled anytime soon. Unlike P&G, the Bells are not going to let it happen. Soaps is their family business.

Sure the demos is what counts but I don't think we're going to see the headline: "CBS Cancels 2nd Highest Rated Soap!" Not going to happen.

• Members

Who said B&B is getting canceled? What's with all the speculation? B&B is not perfect but it is a good soap opera. The ratings have dropped but hopefully things will stabilize for them. Brad Bell does need to stop rehashing old stories but I am hopeful with Don Diamont's and Rick Hearst's arrivals things will improve. But he needs to give Leslie Kay a storyline already.

Archived