Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

In many ways MM is more skillful than CE, but I don't for a second believe that MM is more suited to Adam than CE is as the role is currently being written. CE reminds me a lot of Melody Thomas Scott. She may not the world's great actor but you root for her. That ability to make one instantly empathize with you is what sets apart leading actors from supporting actors. Whatever his limitations may be, CE is a leading man. That's why we're actively rooting for his Adam no matter how sick the character becomes. MM doesn't have that quality of instant empathy but he does have a great range and he will act rings around many of his co-stars. He will dazzle, no doubt. But I think his Adam will be more like Sheila Carter & David Kimble. We will marvel at it & enjoy it but we won't be rooting for the black-hearted devil the way we are right now. That's why I really hope TPTB are smart enough to give MM's Adam some humanity to play, pref. through a genuine love story with Rafe.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is MM going to channel the Sheriff Lamb character(VERONICA MARS) for Adam?

I'm so intrigued to see how he handles taking over from Chris Engen.

Thank you, very nice.

Can we please see some of that on Y&R? :D:D

• Members

ICAM, this is why I really liked CE in the role. I've said this before, I hope MM and the writers can infuse some vulnerability into the character. From watching some of MM's clips, I'm not sure if this quality will come as naturally as it has with CE.

But I am really excited to see what he can bring to the role.

• Members

Great post. That is exactly why I like/rooted for CE's Adam. And though I am not familiar with MM's work, I fully expect him to push the envelope.

Both will be interesting to watch and compare. I am sorry about the way things got fucked up with CE and Y&R, though. His portrayal of Adam-- this whole gaslighting story, indeed -- had me riveted. And, more than that, hoping for the character's eventual, well-earned redemption down the road. The quality you highlighted in your post.

• Members

the ebst way i can sum up MM on Veronica Mars is... Intense? Yeah. I think thats the perfect word for him. Don Lamb was intense tho, so MM played what needed to played. There was also a pretty strong Veronica/Lamb fanbase fromw aht i remember, but really, there is a strong kristen bell/any actor or actress she is in a scene with fanbase, lol. But when Veronica & lamb would bicker it was fantastic, from both ends.

But that was one role, and a pretty narrow character role at that. Im excited to see what he can bring to adam. I do agree tho, his man look to CE's American Pie frat boy look is jarring.

• Members

Bravo. I love this post so much.

I'm sorry but it was said right there in black & white all over the internet and the issue wasn't even addressed in statements made by both MAB & CE. The writing is on the freaking wall. As I've posted before, if the gay angle weren't a major issue in his leaving, why wouldn't either party come out & publicly deny it? I know ignorance is bliss but I refuse to turn off my brain and turn a blind eye to what is so clearly happening in this story.

Ok, but I was just watching and I, with my own eyes, saw Chris Engen playing his character's glee in the possibility of Ashley losing her baby. Am I going to see CE's Adam make out with Rafe also?

We know it wasn't needles in his eyes, that's for sure.

I never found Chris Engen very appealing in any way until very recently. He had begun to win me over as Adam and I've even noted his physical attractiveness at times, though he doesn't do much for me usually. But in all honesty, I'm not overly disappointed that the role has been recast. I really haven't had enough time enjoying him to form any kind of attachment. I'm interested to see where this recast takes us.

Oh, and yes, for the record, I think CE's behavior is deplorable and certainly wasn't impressed with the arrogant, rambling non-statement that he made on myspace. A sour taste is definitely left in my mouth from this one.

• Members

MarkH, I don't know if I agree. They wrote the story with him in mind. Assuming he quit because of the Kiss (though we don't know), they should have postponed the kiss/Rafe story [surely Adam could have manipulated him without sex], wrapped up the Gaslight story, sent Adam off for a month, and then brought in a new actor to play Adam for the Rafe story [maybe with Rafe as the defense lawyer for the crimes against Ashley]. Recasting in the middle of the gaslight story is more disruptive than postponing a romantic story. The whole reason why Rafe/Adam were going to hot & interesting in the first place was because of the chemistry between CE & YG. I seriously doubt that MM & YG are going to read as hot, especially when MM looks so much older than YG.

Archived