Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is why the Y&R thread is eight thousand pages. I've never seen people get SO divisive over a writer before. Ever. It's like there are two camps waging war over whether or not she sucks, and damnit, they're going to hammer home all of their points (on both sides of the argument) until the other side changes their mind. Come hell or high water.

• Members

You know when you have a couple of bad days and then one REALLY disgusting day.... and then you start thinking about all things wrong on Y&R and realize that you probably just shouldn't think about it or you'll get even more depressed....... Anyway, back to Y&R talk...

The show is enjoyable, but when you look at things overall you see so many loopholes it hurts...

• Members

Well, I think mediocrity is the appropriate average level of aspiration for a soap.

Before you all gasp in horror, remember what an assembly line these shows are. Remember what incredible pressures there are to produce on a shoestring. The most we can hope for, IMO, are moments of greatness. In the end, though, this is a programming genre that needs to sell adult diapers and children's diapers and pain relievers and floor scrubbers. So, you can't script anything too brilliant -- too thought provoking. If it demands too much energy and attention, the soap-buyers won't have time or motivation to watch. This needs to be wallpaper...light entertainment that doesn't demand too much. That is the definition of mediocrity, but it works with the form and timeslot.

Y&R has those flashes of transcendent greatness, IMO. Kay's funeral episode, and Marge's farewell episode, were terrific examples of that, IMO. Pure entertainment, a little shocking... I think Kay's funeral was a demonstration of what only Y&R can do at this point, since it is still so directly connected to its history, legacy characters, and plot through-lines.

But whom, that you can identify, do you see as unwilling to discuss Y&R's problems? I don't see any such censorship or resistance here.

• Members

LMAO

Yep, too many deaths already, and all courtesy of MAB. Funny since the crime rate in Genoa City got better... it seems the Death rate got worse. She'll be killing off more people, soon, trust me.

• Members

You know, I actually think LML inspired more DIVIDED opinion (mostly in the hate camp, especially at the end). I think MAB inspires more COMPLEX opinions. Even the "lovers" see areas of weakness, and even the "not lovers" acknowledge her areas of improvement and rebuilding. The ambivalence is not just across "camps", but within individuals themselves.

I hope this is unrelated to those terrible exams from a few weeks ago. If yes, the good thing is that it is always possible to try again and do better the next time!

Archived