Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Good question

Susan as Cecile was on for exactly 2 years,so she may have signed a 2 yr contract and then decided to leave.

However, the standard contract for an unknown performer at that time was 3 years, so perhaps she was let go at the end of a contract cycle and replaced.

Maybe another poster can shed some light.

• Members

Lisa's premonitions seemed to disappear.  The day she left Bay City was the same day that her aunt, Felicia Gallant, celebrated her birthday.  Lisa had no premonition that Felicia was in danger being stalked by the strongman in the hall of mirrors, or that the situation would result in the murder of Jason Frame.

• Members

I disliked the way they introduced Lisa as Jamie's literal "dream girl". Joanna Going had some appeal but her storyline was too focused on how her getting over her trauma would make Jamie happy. 

Her psychic abilities were suitably vague and mostly useless even at their height.  According to the AWHP synopses she inaccurately identified Tony Carlisle as the Sin Stalker. Later she tried to psychically communicate with a comatose Vicky and couldn't get anything because she was picking up all of the patients in the hospital at once. (I think Ellen Wheeler's Marley had more accurate psychic twin information.)

Edited by Xanthe
Twins

• Members

Yeah, that was pretty bad too lol

They spent two years telling us that Felicia was like a second mother and a big sister to Lisa and yet she didn't come back once to support Felicia during the trial or when she was sent to prison. Maybe it would have been better if they had recast Lisa.

• Members

Lisa was an odd choice of spoiler in the search for Felicia's daughter storyline.  First of all, she looked younger than Lorna, and age matters in a child search story (regardless of if the actors are similar ages in real life), and second, it was as if once Felicia found out that Lorna was her daughter she just forgot about any association to Lisa, and third (once recasted) Lorna was of an obvious different ethnic origin than Lisa which would have made her parentage more obvious.

• Members

Jenna basically replaced Lisa's role in Felicia's life. 

Joanna Going was a very appealing actress, but Lisa was a very wan role. Joanna had no chemistry with Larry Lau, and as that was the main purpose of the character beyond the Sin Stalker story, it was a significant handicap.

Soaps generally do NOT do well with giving characters psychic powers, especially if it is not a character like Celeste on DAYS who exists solely for supernatural storylines. Short-term characters are one thing, but giving a long-term character psychic powers means viewers will always wonder why this did not help save them or save others from trouble. 

They did a little more with Frankie, but frankly, anything that ever worked with Frankie I would credit to Alice Barrett, not the writing.

Susan Keith should have had hazard pay for carrying so much of 1980 AW on her back. 

Edited by Errol
Fixed link which was causing errors

• Members

I'm reminded of Eddie Drueding (without whom I would not be as into AW as I am, so I wanted to agree with the people above who credit fans for doing as much for the show as they have) talking about Matt and Sofia by saying Matt wanted a second helping of "convent girl." This really was a trope for AW in those last 10-15 years. 

• Members

It's funny, I think of Jenna as replacing Lisa as well. So I was surprised looking at the AWHP to find that there was almost 2 years between Lisa's departure at the beginning of 1989 and Jenna's arrival at the end of 1990.

There was something mysterious about Jenna's parentage that I don't think was ever resolved. Maybe it was intended as a red herring to prevent us from realizing who Felicia's daughter was too soon. I think I remember reading somewhere that Lorna was not originally intended to be Felicia's daughter. I wonder if they would have gone back to Lisa if Alicia Coppola had not been cast.  Although really a brand new character was more fruitful in terms of Felicia developing a relationship with her.