Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

tracy was a big loss but who's decision was it the actress' or the show's? i know that after that she went to OLTL but her character doesn't seem to have worked out

By the way i saw a clip of Sharon Gabet as Brittany on the show and was amazed why did she leave?

Last One (i promise LOL) What about Sally Frame? how it happened for them to kill her off, or even the Previous one leaving?

• Members

She has said that while she liked the actors she worked with, the storyline and the studio and the long days took an emotional toll and she asked to be released from her contract. 

SERIAL SCOOP: What was your experience like at Another World? Did you ever have any regrets about joining the show?
SHARON GABET: I liked my work the first few months. I thought it was some of the best work I've ever done - when Brittany was deaf and describing her ordeal with sign language. Then AW became a nightmare. I had to commute to Brooklyn, my new daughter was young and I never saw her, the hours were so long. I was very unhappy. Linda Dano gave me the name of her shrink, I was so unhappy. I got pregnant again and left as soon as I could.

• Members

One of the most intriguing plot twists was when Walter Curtain (played by legendary soap actor Val Dufour) defended his wife Lenore for the murder of Wayne Addison when he was really the murderer.  Not sure who wrote this and if Susan Sullivan was playing Lenore 

Edited by TVFAN1144
Added name

• Members

Based on the AWHP synopses, Judith Barcroft was still playing Lenore during the trial in early 1971, but she was replaced by Susan Sullivan in May of that year. Robert Cenedella was HW until August when Harding LeMay came in and got fed up with Walter's everlasting weeping into Wayne Addison's scarf, which does appear to have gone on for months.

Most of the characters of the DePriest era erred on the side of being one note, if anything, so it is interesting to me that the criticism of Brittany is that she was all over the place. The throughline was always stubborn determination to get Catlin back which was rewarded in the end.

I feel as though when the character was introduced the idea was that Brittany and Sally were both supposed to be blameless victims of circumstance and the triangle was supposed to be like Frankie/Cass/Kathleen where Cass was through no fault of his own torn between two women he honestly loved. But because Brittany had no history on the show she had no built-in fan attachment the way Kathleen did, so she was loaded up with deafness and her dead baby Evan to make it plain that she must be deserving. Except other than the time she saved Kevin from being lost in the woods (which is also when she miraculously recovered her hearing for some reason) I can't think of a situation where she was portrayed as putting her own feelings and needs second to anyone else's. Now to be fair after she trapped Peter into marrying her and he became abusive to her and threatened to take her baby away from her, obviously it would make sense for her to be in a state of terror where she wouldn't have the capacity to do anything other than look after herself, but she had plenty of time before she was written into the abuse corner to do something more constructive than just try to win Catlin back. Maybe she became more obviously manipulative as time went on, and then we were forced to sympathize with her because Peter was so awful to her.

Edited by Xanthe
spelling