Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

AW was infamous for recasting but were they much different than a lot of other Soaps?  One thing I remember during the 80's was GH or DOOL almost never re-casted roles for years. When Gloria Monty was writing and producing, you never saw a recast on GHDOOL was that way as well until the late 80's.  I remember Angelica Deveraux re-casted and the first time I saw that on DOOL in years.  From 1988- 1990 except for Anna Stuart coming back as Donna Love on AW, I don't recall any other recasts.  I

• Members

I was bored 4 hours ago and I started watching Another World without ever watching anything... I started with a playlist from 1991-1992 - Episodes from May 1991 and let me say... 4 hours later... I should be sleeping... and I am binge watching and scared if may continue like that for hours. IT IS ADDICTING. Amazing storylines. I feel like I've found something very exciting. Well... hello there people. Did I start watching at a good period? Also... is there a place where I can find more episodes... I am hooooked.

• Members

My main problem right now is tha ALL of the characters that i LIKE = Anne Heche... the psycho doctor Taylor and the blond...Sharlene... are going away in days and weeks. I have problem watching knowing that all of them are soon going to be gone. I cant relate to other characters. Why did I have this luck to start watching these episodes... I am sad right now. Last night I binged for 10 hours!!! I love the show, but I want to watch more Anne Heche. I LOOOOVE HER: Never saw her till last night in anything... other than the Psycho remake. And I love Sharlene. 

Edited by divinemotion

That's so true Frenchie. But even after rewatching old episodes. I still get an enjoyment. I just can't get from present day episodes. Even knowing what will happen down the road. 

That year does have a lot of departures. Anne Heche was awesome as the Hudson twins. Ryan & Vicki had off the charts chemistry. And Marley's rape and her romance with Jamie. Really fleshed out and empowered Marley. Taylor's reign of terror on Sharlene was really good stuff.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I'm probably in the minority but I liked DePriest's first tenure. Was it perfect? No, but I find it immensely watchable despite all the missteps (and there were definitely missteps.) MY biggest gripe: getting rid of Petronia Paley's Quinn which I think was a major blow to the show. I also wonder how many of the problems were network or exec related: for example, the Dawn storyline. I remember reading that the execs got cold feet and wanted it to end. I also remember that Hank Cheyne's Scott was meant to be Donna's son at one point, but that never panned out. I think Anna Stuart leaving ended that storyline. 

I really liked a lot of Swajeski's storylines, but a lot of them didn't always pan out. The Red Swan storyline for instance. It never went anywhere interesting. The Chief storyline was fantastic, and should have earned Carmen Duncan an emmy, but that story was ended abruptly because of Watson's death. 

I also liked Taylor's reign of terror which I think could have gone on longer. Once Swajeski leaves, the quality ebbs and flows in annoying ways sometimes. 

Edited by chrisml

• Members

I can't speak for anyone else, but my gripe with DePriest is generally with her choices in characterization. The day to day pace and tone was better than it had been in rudderless 1985, but she got rid of characters like Quinn and Maisie and Zane and Sally because she didn't want to have clutter in her vision of focus on the Cory/Love-Hudson/McKinnon families (some of which she had to beef up by creating new characters (Mary, Reginald, John) and declaring them back from the dead) . She also didn't seem to understand the appeal of the publishing industry and although she had Amanda and Sam working at Cory she didn't have many other characters there and turned Jamie into a doctor out of nowhere. And I think we have discussed here recently her simplistic and possibly misogynistic approach to sexuality, sexual assault, and trauma.

• Members

As a writer, Maggie DePriest was about as misogynistic and depressing as Megan McTavish (who, thank God, never had the chance to work on AW, lol).  Yet, for some reason, I found her work on every show she worked on far more watchable, if not entertaining.

• Members

I don't know what it is, I can't put my finger on it, but Another World, after trying to imitate the Supercouple/Adventure era in the 80s, felt more like a ABC soap under Swajeski/Laibson. I think it would've flourished on that network, and probably would've lived longer as well. 

• Members

I don't know WHAT AW felt like to me during the Laibson/Swajeski regime.  Laibson did a pretty good job as EP with an obviously reduced budget and minimal support from P&G and NBC, but Swajeski's stories were just there.

Edited by Khan