Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

It is an amusing coincidence that both casts of Boy in the Band included so many soap actors.  Larry Luckinbill and Peter White in the original and Matt Bomer and Tuc Watkins in the revival.

I think it is a bit reductive to keep blaming Ryan Murphy for this project when director Joe Mantello was much more heavily involved in the creative process.

Here is Luckinbill's lovely quote about the making of the movie.

I was told it would destroy my budding career to be identified as a gay man. I didn’t care. I did the play and the part offered because Mart was my friend. It was a hit Off-Broadway and ran three years. Mart got offers from Hollywood to make the movie, but was told that would happen only if the nine “f#$%^&s” in the cast were replaced by movie stars (never mind that two of us in the cast were straight, and “f#$%^s” was an ignorant, s#$$%^y word). Mart refused. He insisted the play would only be a film if the original cast reprised their roles. None of us were movie stars. I had done television in New York but never a movie.

The movie got made and each of us got a chance to shine. In my case, it worked—I went on to have a television and movie career. My “courage” in risking my “career” was nothing to me—just something I had to do for my friend. Mart was a tough guy. A courageous man. A hero. A prescient man.

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

About the AW anniversary event, for people not attending:

https://www.greenvelope.com/card/.public-6e6b4ec82673490ab0cde8c1ffb3a75535373031343331#rsvp

There is a silent auction & you can bid online.

Silent auction

https://www.32auctions.com/AWcelebration2024

Package for Guests Not Attending $65.00

Video & Photo Package $45.00

The Video & Photo package is a video of the event & photos. These will be downloaded, digital.

The $65.00 pkg is that plus a copy of the program of the event that has some autographs & a souvenir pint glass with the logo of the event.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more info

• Members

Does anyone remember where John Randolph lived after he and Olive split-up?  If my memory is correct, Olive stayed in the big house John had built for her.  But I'm unsure where John lived after their divorce.  Did John return to the house he had shared with Pat?  Where was he living when he died?   

• Members
Posted (edited)

For what it's worth, after Evan's murder, based on the AWHP synopses, John was in the hospital for some time. He was released in March 1978 and apparently wherever he was living, Michael and/or Marianne lived with him. 

I don't see anything on the Addresses page that is obviously John post-Olive. In fact I don't see an address for Olive's grand house.

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/address.html

I glanced at the Soaps & Serials novelizations but I'm not sure they cover this period so probably nothing illuminating there.

Edited by Xanthe
When is not where

• Members

Thank you, that information is very helpful!  So based on what we see in the March 6, 1979 (John's death) episode, Michael was still living in John and Pat's former house.  And if John and Michael were living together, then John had returned to the house he had shared with Pat since around 1964-65 (and I believe John lived in that same house with his first wife, who was Lee Randolph's mother).   Thank you again!!

• Members

Pat moved into a high rise apartment building after her divorce from John around 1975-76.  And this is where we see her living during John's death episode (March 6, 1979).  Pat remained in that apartment until the character's departure from the show around 1982.    

• Members

He is still on the published list. 

I just ran into an old meme & thought it would be fun to do just applying it to Another World. What it is, is 15 fictional characters that have marked you & will always be in your character lexicon. It also challenges you to list them as fast as you can, suggesting that you do it in 15 minutes. I'll start. Yeah, for me, going fast was the hard part. 

1. Ada
  2. Mac
  3. Cass
  4. Rachel
  5. Donna
  6. Vicky
  7. Marley
  8. Matt
  9. Clarice
  10. Sally
  11. Lahoma
  12. Amanda
  13. Josie
  14. Frankie
  15. Kathleen

• Members

I saw this on a Social Media feed.  And while the talk of a Soap resurgence I feel may be a bit premature, I also think that unfortunately if I were the powers that be, I would not bring back a Soap like Another World, that while this message board (and myself included) did enjoy, it really never had the daytime zeitgeist or cache to bring enough eye back in a business/ratings sense.  And I understand it may be an unpopular opinion, but just my thoughts.

And if you were to pick it back up, from a relevancy/ratings/logistics standpoint, where would you start?  I would say personally, I would omit most of the story from like 1994-end.  

https://soaps.sheknows.com/soaps/news/726808/another-world-reunion/