Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I always thought it too bad that soapnet started with reruns from the middle of 1987. It would have been more fun to see them start from early 1983. The show was stronger in 83, and we would have seen the beginnings of a number of major characters who dominated in the late 80s and 90s.

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

I remember the suggestion that they couldn't start with the early 80s because they didn't have all the tapes, but the idea that they were missing tapes from as late as early 1987 is blowing my mind a little. I wonder what the retention and cataloguing system was like because it was certainly common to have flashbacks to earlier events in the early/mid 80s. Most of the time they were pretty recent events (within days), but sometimes they were further in the past than that and they must have had a system to locate the clip they wanted.

• Members

There were definitely periods when the show had no real sense of class distinction. When done well there is a distinction between wealth and class and different family members can be affected differently. 

As I understand it Mac was always less snobbish than Iris regardless of background. And with the later storylines it wasn't clear to me whether Mac had come from a wealthy background or if he had married a woman whose family came from money and that it was her stepmother's influence that had brought Iris up the way she was.

For some reason I thought that Alfred was perhaps a professor, but I am not sure whether that is correct.  Adam and Neal definitely appeared to have no issues or conflicts or baggage related to class. Maybe around that time Reginald expressed some disdain for Michael's humble background as a stableboy but it wasn't really very meaningful in the scheme of things.

Adam and Neal were really just a blip between Jamies and weren't integrated well enough to last. It was nice that Adam attended Mac's funeral but then the waters closed over him as if he had never been. (I take that back -- maybe Adam rated a mention when the McKinnons dropped in to see Kathleen in 1991. But probably not after that.)

• Members

It was established during Mac's first few years on AW, that he was born into a wealthy Manhattan family and that Cory Publishing was at least three generations old at that point.  At one point, Mac admitted to Iris that he had never really loved her mother (his first wife) and that the marriage had been arranged.  This was before Iris's adoption storyline.  He also mentioned to Rachel that his own mother was a controlling woman consumed by social status, who was not very kind or loving.  

This is why the show's 25th anniversary episodes were something of a retcon -- suggesting that the entire company -- Cory Publishing, was only 25 years old in 1989.  There was also a period in the 1990s when the writers retconned Mac's personal background, suggesting he had been a self-made man who created Cory Publishing from scratch.  Too bad they didn't stick with Mac's original origin story, because that is what gave Mac much of his motivation -- both professional and personal.  

• Members

There were a lot of points where they didn't bother much about consistency, either because they didn't know or didn't think it mattered (or both).

I found this episode where Alfred and Vivian come to meet MJ. The relationship between Alfred and Mac seems like acquaintances who haven't seen each other in a long time rather than brothers who were brought up together. Jamie (in between daydreaming about Lisa) casually and apropos of nothing mentions how unalike they are.

Mac does mention Alfred's dissertation so that may be where I got the idea he was an academic. 

I don't know whether they ever intended to do more with the characters but it doesn't feel like they put much effort into them.