Another World

• Members

Can't believe it's been so long. I still roll my eyes at Brad Pitt being mentioned as an AW name. I suppose they knew what would get eyeballs.

I don't watch Locher too often but I may to see Richard Bekins. Richard's work holds up so well. I wish they had gotten him back in the show's later years. (I also think he was genuinely more attractive than the piece of ass Jamies they cast after him, although Yates and Todd weren't shabby).

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

25 years ago today 4-12-99 #SoapKiller Susan D. Lee, having called MADD back from vacation, jumping ahead of schedule, announced the cancelation of Another World (NBC), which had at that time higher ratings than both PC (ABC) and Sunset Beach (NBC). 4-12-24

#9 AW 2.4

#10 PC 2.2

#11 BEACH 1.7

Then in July 1999 PSSN 1.9 (Debut)

PSSN Ratings: 1.9, 2.4, 2.2, 2.1, 2.0, 1.9, 1.6, 1.5

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members

The gorilla storyline would never have happened if it weren't for the cancellation. It was a lame way to do a "throw back" to the show's history on a short time frame.

I still miss this show everyday. This was my show and I was devastated at its cancellation. Whenever I'm not feeling well or just feeling the blues, I often pull up clips/episodes on youtube and watch my friends. Yes, I know...that's kind of sad, but it makes me feel better. Cass. Felicia. Cecile. Vicky. Jake. Paulina. The Corys. Such a great ensemble of actors! 

• Members
Posted (edited)

If they wanted to do a "throw back" to the show's history -- well, they had Sam Groom in the studio.  He should have played Russ Matthews (Rachel's first husband and Josie's father), but NO.  Let's get a guy in a gorilla costume as a nod to the past.  Brilliant.  Brilliant.

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

Of all the things that happened to AW the last five to seven years of its existence, the gorilla doesn't bother me that much. In fact, it probably wouldn't even place in the top ten. I know it's a sticking point for some, and I understand why, but If I had a magic wand and could erase mistakes from let's say 1990 to 1999, the gorilla would remain there because I'm using my wand to change other things. And I went back as far as 1986 (pre-1986 is before my time), the gorilla would fall even further down the do-over list.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yes, it was my show, too. In a way I'll never get over it. And, the show could have been fixed. The end was not inevitable. 

Okay, you've got your magic wand, between 1990 & April 1999, what is it that you will change?

Well, even doing the gorilla they could have had Sam play Russ!!! 

https://soaps.sheknows.com/soaps/news/593944/another-world-tribute-anniversary-cancelled-soap-opera

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members

There is more than one point in time in the past to nod to. They were trying to hit different points and neither their use of Sam Groom nor the Gorilla Nostalgia with Bringing Up Baby overtones was fully satisfying. Part of that was, frankly, because over the years they had twisted and broken continuity in so many places that it was hard to make callbacks that would be meaningful. They did a better job (although still not perfect) with the 25th anniversary cameos.

Thanks for this. Bekins looks great. I would have been glad to have seen him in the AW finale whether as Jamie or, if they decided that it would be too much dissonance for people who remembered Russell Todd with Jensen Buchanan, in a random cameo.

I still haven't made the time to listen to Stephen Schnetzer's Locher Room, which I also want to get to. I had not realized that he had a role on The Bay. I watched about 5 minutes of one episode and it was not my speed at all so I don't know whether I can or should  make the effort to try to see his part.

• Members

There are a lot of "I would" statements here. Off the top of my head and I'm sure there are a lot more:

I would have had a definite end game for the Red Swan

I would not have fired Cali Timmins and recast Paulina.

I would not have let Iris Duncan languish in storylines beneath her talent and then write Iris into a corner. 

I would not have had Jake rape Marley. As far as I'm concerned, they could have killed off Jake.

I would not have hired Jensen Buchanan to play Marley/Vicky. 

I would not kill off Frankie.

I would not let JFP or Charlotte Savitz anywhere near the show.

Lumina would never have happened.

Lorna would not have been raped.

I would have made Cecile's return something longterm and interesting. 

Joy Bell and Allison Hossack would have been better integrated in the show and given something to do.

The Lawrences would have been a proper family storyline wise on the show.

1986-1990:

Mary/Reginald story would have been plotted and Reginald would not have been written off so weakly.

Quinn would not have been killed off.

Scott would have gotten the big storyline that was always on the edge of happening. 

Jane Cameron would not have left the show. 

The MJ prostitution story would not have happened. Sally Spencer would have been given something else to do.

• Members

I would have kept Cali Timmons as Paulina.. and brought on Judi Evans as Rachel's half sister Nancy.  That way both actresses would have had a place on the show.. and co-existed since both actresses put something special.

Not recast Lorna... Once Alicia C opted to leave... I would have kept Lorna off canvas.  If they insisted on hiring Robin Christopher.. have her darken her hair and have play a recast Lisa (Robin's Lorna seemed more like a Lisa type then Lorna).

• Members

Okay, I hated the Red Swan storyline & the 18 fracking months it seemed to go on & on & on & on but to give them their due technically it did have a somewhat satisfying ending! It established Paulina as a Cory. 

Did this happen that late? Anyway, I'm gonna kibbutz your whole post & this is disagree #1. Judi Evans to me WAS Paulina. 

AGREE!

Donna Swajeski agrees with you. So do I! 

I may be in love with you if this keeps up! Meaning AGREE again! 

Total agreement & we as fan activists *almost* kept it from happening, dammit. 

Yes, I am falling for you. 

Jean Passanante agrees with you! Me, too, although at least it was a great masked costume ball. 

Agree, rinse, repeat! 

I'm really having a bad day. I'm utterly blank. Who the heck are the Lawrences?

Agree, etc. So, I had one question & one disagree. Rest all agree!!! 

WOW. I do believe you cheated! 

I am told that Bekins has continued to do theatre very successfully & regularly. 

Did I know that AW was one of your shows? Interesting idea about using Judi for Nancy. If so, then Nancy would have stayed in Bay City, right? 

• Members

I agree with a lot of these although I would not have brought Reginald back from the dead at all. They could have had Kathleen investigate the past without Reginald and Mary being alive and bring some upsetting facts to light that had repercussions in the present for the McKinnons and the Loves and the Hudsons and the Frames if they wanted to make Jason Nicole's father or whatever, etc etc.

I would have kept Nancy around (but I do agree with the Judi Evans recast suggestion) and done more to make sure she had boyfriends and friends who were linked to the rest of Bay City.

I would have handled the introduction of John completely differently and would not have given him the rape/romance backstory with Donna. 

I would have handled the John/Felicia affair completely differently if it had to happen at all. I can understand a circumstance where John was at a breaking point because of Sharlene's mental illness but he and Felicia should have felt guilty every second of every day.