Another World

• Members

About Anne Heche, Vicky/Marley, and her being proud of daytime in her history ... Yes, she was and, yes, she is.

Here's a picture of her at the first stop of what was to have been her book tour. This is the 4th floor of the Barnes & Noble on 14th St. in NYC. This was the night before the World Trade Center attack. I asked the first question. I was with part of the Editors of Soap Opera Digest and they teased me because, of course, I asked her a question about the Love/Hudson twins.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The story i imagined would be Jamie and Alice working together and becoming close friends with some confusion about their feelings but never crossing the line and having sex.  Rachel would be jealous, her insecurities about Alice would resurface and should would make a big mess out of everything.

• Members

With Jamie on the outs with Rachel, I could see and accept him and Alice working together and developing a close bond, one which developed into a psuedo maternal-like relationship. Alice would naturally feel closer to Steve via her friendship with Jamie, and Rachel would feel increasingly insecure and jealous. It would drive her up the wall.

That would work. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

in that case i think it could've worked brillantly, i wouldn't oppose them sharing one or two kisses either, with the right writing i think those May-December romances can be some of the Most Beautiful ones, also Kinda off topic but i remember how i rooted to Brooke and Thomas on B&B to be together, as long as it was written with taste not another "The Whore of Beverly Hills Strikes Again" case

• Members

From May 4, 1964, to June 25, 1999, AW was on the air for 35 years, a whole adult lifetime into middle age. Apr. 12, 1999, announced the cancellation, 23 years ago, a whole young adult's lifetime has passed since the hurt that day. How long will it hurt? NeverNot. 

“We do not live in this world alone but in a thousand other worlds.”- Irna Phillips

NeverNot's the word I just coined to express how long it will hurt.

• Members

Yesterday I did a half a transcript for someone who has to have something done to the YT "video" to allow for his hearing problem & that will take some time. I thought I might as well upload it. Share, mon cher.

This is the 2006 audio only interview with a member of WOST at an awards show. What he starts out talking about is the disastrous 90 minute show.

I wanted also to add something about the timeline, etc. of Lemay/P&G events. Pete had not yet signed a new HW contract & P&G gave him a greenlight to go forward with a story where one of Pat & John's twins, Michael, core family member as a Matthews by blood, coming out as gay, in the 1980s. They carefully cast it & told the actor. Pete signed that contract. P&G changed their Yes to a No. Really charming business ethics.

No, I thought it was a ridiculous idea. ... I fought it & I lost. ... Producer from NBC Freddy Silverman came up with the idea. ...I quit after about 18 weeks of it... There's nothing as bad as writing for something you don't believe in.... I think you get fairly burned out as a writer for a soap. ... To turn out a script every day ... 8 yrs of it ... script every day (He had already mentioned having to write a script & then take all the network notes & write it again) ... I think I lasted longer than I should have. Spoke highly of Aggie. Social issue stories ... she's telling very relevant stories. I'd like to be doing more of that. P&G puts the ?someword? on most of that & then you have to fight for what you want & soon you're having to fight for everything & it gets too too tiring to have to fight that much over what is your life. Spoke highly of Beverlee McKinsey ... revealed she had a photographic memory. She memorized every colon & semi-colon. She memorized her lines & everyone else's too. Her character's husband just would not learn his lines, just would paraphrase & it drove her mad! Talked about Iris's maid, Vivian & that they first saw her in a Chekhov play! Talked about Louise Goddard. Talked about Doug Watson & they & Pete & wife would go out together all the time. Close, warm friendship. He misses Connie & Doug.

• Members

I always felt that AW lacked a long-term female adversarial relationship like a Viki/Dorian. The show had Rachel, Felicia, Donna, Iris, and Sharlene and neither combo was a viable adversary. Yes, they had issues at times, but they always seemed to make up. 

Vicky/Marley and Vicky/Paulina are two other examples that had long-term potential but ended.

Vicky/Amanda. Amanda/Olivia.

I wish Lila/Vicky and Lila/Anne-Frankie would have had more time.

Who do you think should have been the show's Viki/Dorian?

• Members

I come at it from, a different place because I valued all the female friendships & rewarded the show with kudos when they supported them., etc. But, it I'm going to play 'what if', I think I would pick Donna & Rachel. As frosty & uppity as Donna was when we first got to know each other, us & Donna, and as entitled as Rachel could be, I can imagine them taking an instant dislike to each other. It would have been easy for the writers to set up. Sharlene had too big a chip on her shoulder; she'd come off as defensive all the time whining. And, Felicia really was more of a man's woman than a gf. I guess you see that just on instant reflection you pick Vicky to dust it up with more people than any other. And, Rachel & Vicky certainly had chances to p*ss each other off!

• Members

Vicky seemed to be dominant "younger" female lead. That's mainly why I could picture her as a rival for someone. She was featured in so many stories. Vicky/Marley would have been a great rivalry. They had plenty of reason to be because of Jamie and Jake. I enjoyed Marley holding Vicky hostage near the show's end- Ellen and Jensen, but then suddenly Marley was "well" again and it was dropped.