Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

These 1982 storylines were all over the place and made little sense. I'd like to know whose idea was to sideline Douglass Watson in 1982 after he won back to back Emmys in 1980 and 1981.  Shouldn't Mac been the one in the helicopter chasing Rachel and Tom in San Diego?  Especially given Mac's history with Mitch.  Someone behind the scenes was trying real hard to get the audience to like Steve Frame, lol.

• Members

The only reason that I have a mental image of the car chase in San Diego is that it was the thumbnail of the 20th anniversary show that was on YouTube for a long time. 

It seems especially odd since I googled it and the 20th would have been in 1984, two years after the writer responsible for that story had left.  Now, it is reasonable to assume that AW did not have a lot of action sequences prior to 1984 that could be highlighted, but it is such a bad piece of history to memorialize.  As I recall, the voiceover also was written in an overly hyperbolic tone that did not really fit with the personality of the show.

Between that fiasco, VW's anniversary featuring the short-lived red-haired Amanda recast, and the re-writes for characters like Gwen that spoke dialogue clearly written for actors who could not attend the 25th, AW did not have good luck with anniversaries.

BTW I have fond memories of the 25th, (ghost-Steve et al) but the opinion remains that production-wise the anniversaries were unfortunately marred.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Haha that's crossed my mind before; that she was like Lemay and thought she was wasting her talents. And I'm sure there was interference from Paul Rauch and the people above him as well. They had to have been panicking since all the changes that they made in order to raise the ratings caused them to fall even more.

The only person left who probably knows all the answers is Victoria Wyndham, and unfortunately she's not talking.

She managed to find Matthew and get away from the kidnappers and I think that was just the first car she saw

• Members

There was a piano in Liz Matthews' original house (before she left town around 1971), and later in Steve and Alice's house (until Alice left town in 1979).  Then around 1987, a piano showed-up in Mac and Rachel's remodeled living-room and remained until the final episode.   Nobody ever played any of them, that I recall.  Considering the timing, I've often wondered if they were all the same piano.  Who knows?   

• Members

Oh! Didn’t Reginald Love ridiculously play the piano loudly in the middle of the night once to assert his dominance? ( Not at the Cory mansion, obviously. At the Love mansion.)

Found it, about 40 minutes in at the end of the episode. 

Edited by Xanthe
Episode

• Members

in the episode posted above, the Love sitting room is in beige tones, but wasn't originally a greeny/blue?

Was any explanation given for the change or did it just happen?

Later it changed again and there was a staircase. Again, any explanation?

The same for the Cory estate when the whole look changed. Was it referenced?

• Members

Didn't the Love Mansion catch on fire a couple of times to explain the changing set?  According to AWHP, the Love Mansion was remodeled in 1986 when Reginald took possession of the house.  But, I have no idea how Michael wound up owning the stables.

Like @Paul Raven I recall the entry being stage right on a landing that descended down into the powder blue living room which was much more tasteful than the room in this episode.  But then again, that was when Victoria 1.0 was on the show and she didn't look the same age as her mother Donna; like this imposter does.

At the beginning of the episode, when Reg refers to her as Rachel Davis, I half expected her to say, "yes, and I remember when your name was Vic Hastings"

Edited by j swift