GL: May Discussion

• Members

EVERYTHING is a red herring in this mystery as was posted above, we didnt see anything unfold so the writers can just pull a killer out of their hat, apparently they learned from the Phillip mystery, in that all the elaborate clues all turned to bullshit as the writers retro wrote their own material..unfortunately they didnt learn the real lesson in that they should PLAN out a story ahead of time and stick to it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I caught the show on Friday and I was happy to see that TIIC seemed to have scrapped that shitty "music" for more traditional soap background music. The show seemed alot better simply because of THAT.

The writing still sucks the big one. Sorry.

• Members

ITA, if done correctly and actually, like....you know...ONSCREEN, the set-up could've been amazing. Why are all these important things happening offscreen and all we get on-screen are things like Remy and Mallet wandering around the grass field by the river pontificating, Marina whining at Shayne, and Reva & Jeffrey pretending to trust each other? Sometimes while watching this show I hear a slightly altered version of that old Nytol jingle in my head: GL will help you get your zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

BTW, is it possible to actually die of boredom? Because if it is, GL needs to be careful or they're gonna have blood on their hands soon.

If nothing else, at least hearing people say the name always gave me a little chuckle but yeah, we never need to see him again. EVER!

Was that one of the most pathetic attempts at "being cool" NuCokeGL has tried yet or what? :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't know how you can say that for sure without seeing the end yet. I can't think of a soap murder mystery that has been so amazing anyway with "clues." General Hospital who killed Dorman? OMG lame lame, we saw it all, and then it turned out to be somebody not even on the cast to begin with. AMC who killed Frankie? It was Vanessa's unseen henchman. The summer stalker on As The World Turns? Turned out to be Maddie's never-before-seen sister.

This is much stronger already, it shows the characters and their relationships being tested, plus it has the possibility of a juicy surprise with Marina being the killer if I am reading the clues right. The setup for that is there, and subtle but not too subtle.

• Members

Not if they want to spring the surprise of Marina as the killer. It'll be that much better if we don't know that Edmund had found out about the baby.

P.S.: Sexy Rafey is on today, right? I can't wait to watch the episode! I also found EJ Bonilla's MySpace today -- not a lot of GL stuff (just a couple pics), but he's funny.

• Members

But that is cheating....a good writer can make a suspensful mystery storyline without having to resort to all these, "You didnt see it on screen," which GL has relied on for too long (i.e. Beth and Rick's affair, Beth and Coop's affair..all of those were interesting stories that we needed to see devloped, instead of a cheap shock and its over.) Plus, the shock will be over in an episode....Marina should be a suspect all along for us to have any investment in a "shock," storyline. We should actually care that she is the killer and given Edmund's many violent acts, actually worry that she IS the killer (that is if you give two figs about Minnie Mouse Marina, which I dont.)

I sound very argumentative with you individually, but please dont take it personally (there just ain't that many people posting about GL) but Rafe is "sexy," ????The unibrow who can't complete sentances??? LOL..to each his own!!! Speaking of, GA is quite sexy as the concerned father, family member, friend, and business guy. If I was Beth I would be like "Coop who?" (oh, I forgot she IS like Cooper who) and climb up and get me a helping of THAT. Thank god Crazy Phillip is gone!

• Members

GL is showing far more clues about Marina than the other shows have that I named above as having worse murder mysteries. They are showing enough to allow an intelligent viewer to deduce that Edmund tried to steal Marina's baby. Marina even said, "No one will ever try to take our baby away from us again" or something like that, it's practically screaming that she killed Edmund. The show is just not outright announcing it to the world to make it painfully obvious. That *is* good writing, and also is a far different situation from Beth and Rick or Beth and Coop, which were not mysteries and did not have such clues either. Marina doesn't have to be a "suspect all along." I don't see why there wouldn't be an emotional investment, it's not like Marina is a character from outside the canvas who doesn't already have her own story that is connected with the probable motives behind the murder.

Of course, Marina might not be the killer, and then all my gushing will sound stupid, lol.

Wednesday's episode was great. Not enough Rafe, but I was definitely emotionally invested in the episode. The corruption of James by Alan; the despair of Phillip in the beginning with Alan as he realizes he has to make a deal, and at the end as he realizes he messed it up with James by going to save Lizzie; the self-righteous victimhood of Frank (indeed, Frank, you are faaaar from a saint, you're right about that); and the annoyingness of the legal system ("strong male mentor", omg -- but this is probably exactly the sort of one-size-fits-all thing a judge would really say someone like Rafe needed). I was also fascinated by James's sensitive artisitic side.

Daisy should have at least known about Rafe's hearing though and cared a little -- I am irritated that the show is blanking him from her past. Also when Phillip said James could go to jail, Alan should have said something like, well, I let my other grandson Rafe go to jail, they need discipline -- something like that -- or Alan should have taken an interest in the hearing.

Rafe can say his lines well, he just doesn't get enough lines! I think the new production model's audio does muffle his lines a little, but it's not too bad. He is as sexy as ever, and I'm glad most of the facial hair is gone. I never noticed a unibrow.

I am liking Phillip a lot too! I admire that he is trying to be there for his children. But I wouldn't be "Coop who?", I think Beth/Coop were amazing.

Now I can't wait for today's episode! Rafe isn't ready for family life, eh? And Phillip could go to jail for James? Must-see GL is baaack (not that I think it ever left, but if it did, it's back).

• Members

I watched a few clips of Rafe and Daisy from an early part of their relationship and Rafe, who was kind of flirty and had a sense of humor, I could see why he'd be seen as sexy. The later Rafe I think was more annoying but overall I've never disliked the character that much, I think he suffers from the show not knowing what to do with him, and from the poor actress who plays Daisy.

• Members

Okay, are you kidding me? An intelligent viewer??? You would have to be brain dead not to see any of this coming, and even if we weren't that doenst make it interesting.

I guess my point is, wouldnt it be more important and interesting to actually like uh, "Show," us Eddie trying to take the baby. You see, a good mystery by good writers dont allow "cheating," to make it shocking or interesting. And by not showing us the lead up and then coming in at the end and oh, here we didnt show you that...is cheating. Hell, at the last minute they could say Aunt Meta is alive and SHE was the one who killed Eddie. Shocking yes, but stupid and a cheat. GL needs to show us the interesting things that happen off camera, the show is limp and boring, do whatever you can to make it interesting and get the viewers invsted.

There needs to be an emotional investment as Marina is not the most interesting character to hang this mystery on...contrary to what Wheeler beleives, the character has never been very well written or acted and, despite shoving her down our throats, not that well received. I think it goes back to the start of Marina and Mallet, why do we care they are together? We are told to care...not by what is on our screen. The whole Mallet as hubby undercurrent should be that she is desperate to create a family life with a father figure she can trust (would interesting to see what her daddy issues are..Frank dull as he is, is a good caring father..) Her desperation to have a "baby," after what, three weeks of marriage has never been explained, no her uncharacteristic acceptance of Mallet as a killer and her stooping to frame the social worker. That would make it more interesting that she would also stoop to murder to protect the kid. Also, if the writers would set up the other characters as really viable suspects, they wouldnt have to pull a murderer out of their ass.

Oh my..you really are related to Wheeler arent you!!!! :D

• Members

This soap is driving me nuts! Freaking EJ Bonilla can't even act at all.

My poor Reva is in jail. At least we're getting some good soapy background music when the jail scenes are on.

Bill/Lizzie/Phillip/James/Daisy were all fillers today.

Jill is a terrible writer too. She's no better than KrazyFuck.

• Members

Unfortunately I have come to that conclusion as well. Though I can't understand why we had two really good weeks with Phillip's return and Coop's death and now..this limp biscuit of a show. The whole show seems to be filler, I keep waiting for the show to actually start.

I can understand them bringing Rafe back now that his mom is in love with our Boobilicious Bitch Goddess, but could they keep him to a minimum or at least recast....the Unibrow is annoying as hell.

The soapy background music is good, let's pray that the goofy f*ck in charge of the music doenst throw in some more "gangsta," rap when 60 something Alan comes on!! That was more unintentionally hilarious then when we had girly man Danny and his undewear model cousin going around town trying to "strong arm," the locals!!!

• Members

My personal theory is that Grant wrote Phillip's return or at the very least outlined the whole thing to the point where NOBODY could possibly screw it up and that the depth and history infused in to the initial Phillip & Beth, Phillip & Lizzie, and Phillip & Alan interactions were all or mostly the actors. Once the "writers" took over after the initial wave, it all fell apart. Grant has always been an extremely character-focused actor, as was JVD, and either would be have been FAR better writers than anyone the staff has now.

Archived