April 13-17, 2009

Toups

• Members

Seeing these pluses are a good thing after the worst soap ratings week in history.

I can't wait to see all the other soaps in HD especially AMC since they need it more than other soap right now with that terrible video quality. GH is even better today in HD than it was yesterday especially since the hospital set was designed to support HD. Its like watching a whole new soap, its definitely a better soap to watch b/c of it and those you who actually appreciate HD will love it.

On the GL situation with Otalia, I don't think that GL is going to grow until it moves to Lifetime or whatever other network is in the running to pick it up for the fall. Lifetime will probably promote Otalia which will indeed help the show just like Luke and Noah did for ATWT back in late 2007. With the horrible timeslot constraint on the show and format that will keep GL from ever growing until moves to a new network. Just like DAYS, once its renewed the show will see a rebirth and will finally end the nightmare that its been in the last 5-10 years. I really hope ATWT moves with GL as soon as possible b/c that show is suffering too.

The truth is the networks are about to end their runs on affiliates. Their going to be free cable networks in the next decade which will start a brand new television revolution. NBC will probably be the first network to do that and the others will follow. GL's cancellation from CBS was the first sign that the days of networks on affiliates are about to end. Cable is the future for soaps and its probably better than being on the networks right now except for the fact that their still 20 million households without cable and most of those households watch soaps or other daytime programming so their will be a loss of audience there. Some of these cable networks like USA which is the most successful of all them might even merge with NBC.

One of the huge mistakes the soaps made in the last 20 years was not going worldwide successfully like B&B did to give their show an extra income of support. Also finding online or On Demand deals would've helped also. These soaps need to start looking out for themselves and stop relying 100% of these networks to support them.

GL's future looks brighter than it ever was as their already making plans to get some of their old cast back when they move and a whole new studio set.

I heard some rumors also that if CBS loses both GL and ATWT then they plan on either making B&B a hour or creating a new third soap with Bell as a spin-off to Y&R and B&B.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you for posting that. I think that Lifetime would be doing themselves a big favor if they got Guiding Light on board. Soap fans are probably the most dedicated and loyal base in the world and they'll support its move over there.

• Members

Yes, they are on almost every day now, but that is something that started happening recently after the fan outpouring for them. The story had been bubbling under for much much longer before then.

I think the writing for GL as a whole is good. Just not enough people are watching to satisfy CBS, and CBS never cared enough to promote the things about the show that would entice new and lapsed old fans to watch, instead just kept instituting budget cut after budget cut.

Wow, great news about Lifetime!!

• Members

I'm sure that CBS would expand B&B to an hour...I think they're going to do it anyway once GL is gone from the network. They're just not doing it right away because it would look bad to the former GLers that might still be watching some of their daytime lineup and they don't want to alienate them right off the bat...i.e. that GLs cancellation was to make way for an extra half hour of B&B.

Starting a new spinoff of either Y&R or B&B or both would be the dumbest move they could ever make. History on soaps and primetime has shown, spinoffs almost never ever work, and end up weakening the original show by taking important characters, and the new show eventually tanks, and the original ends up toast as well.

Another World - Somerset. Another World - Texas. Alot of people still have the opinion that the AW spinoffs took them in the wrong direction.

General Hospital - Port Charles. Didn't they take Lynn Herring (Lucy) and Ken Shriner (Scotty) to Port Charles? I don't watch GH but I seem to remember that. Friends who watched, I remember them griping about Lucy being off of GH and on Port Charles which they never watched.

They would be complete idiots to attempt a spinoff of Y&R or B&B.

• Members

I have to ask you the same. Our studio HD signal was 100% healthy. It was on ABC HD channel not the regular ABC channel that's owned by the affiliate. Some people get these HDTVs and not know that there's a station for their HD programs. I even had some of my friends walk by in the studio say "WOAH! what soap is that, its so clear?", I knew right there and then that GH has definitely passed with their decision to go in HD. Now the quality of the show itself is a whole other thing but HD actually writes some of that off.

• Members

It looked pale and washed out on my HD channel, not to mention, the lighting on the show has become a mess. While the picture quality itself is clearer, the imperfections are magnified. It's strange, when Y&R went HD years ago, there was no noticeable change in lighting or in anything else, the sets and actors still looked good and the picture quality was of course better.

• Members

I agree with you and you know the secret my friend on one of the reasons why they actually cancelled GL. It was to make that extra half hour for B&B which is the one soap that doesn't need that extra half-hour. This was in the plans for years but now they probably really wanted to do it more than ever.

I would welcome the idea of CBS making a third soap to replace GL and ATWT as its just better for the soap industry to know that their still dedicated to soaps. GL and ATWT can start a new era for the soaps where they would finally be the show that we all want. A spin-off might be a bad idea but they'll probably need to move some of the minor established characters on those shows.

• Members

I had no problems with it at all, it depends on whether you prefer brighter lighting or darkness on your soaps but I will agree with you that Y&R did keep its format the same. People deal with the way they program HD very differently and eventually their going to get better at it as they are probably trying to figure out ways for the makeup to look good on the actors. Its only been out two days and Y&R has been in HD for eight years or since 2001 and Sony HD does the best job when it comes to justifying HD. No comparison there.

I probably worded it all wrong when I wrote it. I meant to say that the HD station that ABC is serviced by is owned by affiliate. So its up to the affiliate if they want to broadcast the program in HD as their were some cities without the HD signal for GH and that was b/c of the affiliates.

• Members

OK I get ou now. Te local here in Naples/Ft Myers is usuaslly stingy, airing Bb the next day. So I was very surprised when they went HD even with the local news. And of course all the local stations here jumped the gun on the government and followed the DTV change on the correct date, feb. 17.

The thing about HG is, thast when you look at certain actors, you can see the tiniest of pimples, never mind the wrinkles. Think Stephanie.,

• Members

Rangethatrover, there's not a lot of people that would not disagree with you but I watch all 8 soaps anyways so it doesn't matter to me how bad GH is, I'll keep watching it but recently I've only been watching it like 3 times a week b/c I don't tape it anymore. I respect your opinion definitely but it being in HD is probably the best thing about the show right now.

I actually read that B&B info on the internet somewhere a few weeks back and can't remember where I read it and heard the 3rd soap rumor on the radio station I listen to.

• Members

Where would the time slot be for BB if it goes to one hour? We have seen thast in most bit tv markets and even some small ones, GL airs in the mornings, and the affiliates air talk shows which are cheaper to air and more popular. If that poer does the ratings for the big markets again, check out the time slot for GL in the big markets like New York, Chicago, Miami, etc.

• Members

We all know they aren't going to do this though. Right now, that network is about cheaply produced and what will bring in the most dollars. I understand that from a business standpoint, but it's turning off viewers. Given the state of the economy, the ball is in the advertisers' court. Therefore, they are going to promote game and reality shows. We're already on overload from both of those, but they keep coming out with more and more inane ideas.

That's why I'm excited about the prospect of Guiding Light moving to a cable network, especially Lifetime. Andrea Wong is a genius and I think Guiding Light would finally get the promotion that it never did from that network. Outside of the Coopers, Guiding Light is firing on all cylinders and today was no exception.

Given the HUGE following that Otalia is attracting, the latest ratings show just how antiquated Niesen really is... who writes in a notebook or watches the show in real time anymore? [Okay, so I took early days last week and today to see the show... but it doesn't matter because I've never been a Nielsen family!]. Given how far we've come in technology, you would think they would come into the 21st century. The audience is there for this show... it just needs a home that it will give it the attention it deserves and will promote the show.

Archived