April 13-17, 2009

Toups

• Members

Actually, canceling any of the three ABC shows would lose them money right now. Why? Because none of them lose money; they make money, thanks to ad revenue. The only way they would "save money" would be if they replaced a soap with something cheaper, and that cheaper programming was successful.

If ABC Daytime were losing money, all three shows would be gone tomorrow.

I'll say the same thing I've said in the past. Until and unless one of the three shows starts performing considerably worse than the other two, all three will die together.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not if the gameshow didn't do very well. And right now......game shows don't do well in daytime. The only one on the nets, Price is Right, does worse in the 18-49 demo than any of the ABC soaps.

ABC's soaps also keep Soapnet afloat, with higher 18-49 ratings this year than last. Soapnet's ratings are growing for OLTL and AMC (not GH, though, lol).

• Members

Stacy is irritating and annoying, not to mention pointless, but I tolerate her a helluva lot more than I can Gigi or Rex :lol: OLTL has become an incredibly imbalanced show. I could handle that if the stories prominently featured were strong, but they are all disastrous. Something is going on backstage and it's not good. Last week's ratings were disappointing but not surprising. If they fall this week, yikes!

• Members

I find it oddly watchable and incredibly unwatchable. Its not even 50% as good as it could be though.

And I completely agree with you on the Rex/Gigi stuff. The wrong storyline for the wrong actors. If the script calls for someone who is going to have to do high emotion and tears everyday, you get an actress who can do the job. The story is more front burner than the serial killer story. But the acting has destroyed and already iffy story, at least for me. Stacey is the only fun thing about it.

• Members

I haven't read anything in here in a few weeks. Nice to see that some things with some people never change.

All I will say is I hope for better ratings than last week.

I am to the point that some day the soaps won't be here and in the end what does it matter which one is cancelled first. The bottom line is that no matter who is cancelled first, second last whoever the faves that so many like won't be around anymore.

That is all that counts to me, because lately the ones you think will be cast on another soap are not the ones who get cast.

Whoever believed that someone with talent like Martha Madison and Lindsay Hartley and even Liza Huber would still be without jobs while Eric Martsolf, Galen Gering, and Brandon Beemer who are somewhat talented but often uneven are the ones with jobs.

• Members

I totally disagree. It is the downward turn that first Malone/Griffith's last stint and then Higley's turn that alienated so many fans and drove them away.

It is the same with AMC, it is the downward turn that McTavish and then B&E started the show on that lead to what is happening today.

These writers introduced characters and stories and made mistakes that still have not been fixed that started the alienation and nothing has been done to bring these viewers back.

And the quick fixes that they are trying to do like with the undoing of the Josh stupidity and the unabortion by wiping his character off the slate in 2 days didn't do anything to fix the mess that McTavish did.

When it is all said and done it will be many writers who have contributed to the destruction of these two shows. It is the same way that John Conboy and others will share ultimately in the downfall of Guiding Light.

• Members

BW is a great crier. Replace her with FF in the role of a mother who's child is sick and the story immediately becomes believable. FF is better suited for lighter material. Gigi/FF can still be a prominent player since I get the feeling that's what the PTB want, but high drama is not her forte.

Archived