April 13-17, 2009

Toups

• Members

Characters are sustained through the years and through multiple head writers, and many different directors. All the performers go through periods or incidences where their character is written in a way they don't believe he/she would behave. IMO it's BW's responsibility to know who her character is, and bring that to any script she's given. ALL the characters have suffered that kind of writing. None more than Blair, and yet somehow KDP always play Blair in a way that remains true. Same of Robin Strasser.

Bree does have the added problem of having played three distinct character and having to keep them separated, and not allowing the characteristics of one to bleed into her portrayal of the other. But every since she had the discussion with Natalie about wanting them to rebuild their relationship, she's played Jessica as all sweetness and light and that has never been Jessica. Even though the character has never been written to forgive Natalie and Jared completely, and the dialogue has even indicated that she really hasn't "I'm working through that in therapy." she plays it as though there are no outstanding issues between the sisters and that all is well. I put that entirely on BW.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In fairness, I think BW has done a good job at times of owning the role of Jessica. For me the problems began with this latest round of who's the alter. It was Jessica that blasted Natalie at Nash's funeral and called her trailer trash. It was Jessica who stood up to Natalie when Natalie was accusing her of being incapable of being a good mother to her children. Those were good strong scenes where Jessica showed some dimension and some back bone. Of late, all we're getting is sweet, sachrine Jessica, and that's not who the character is. She has more layers than that. Again I think part of the problem is BW is trying to distinguish Jessica from Tess and she goes too far.

The rivalry between the Buchanan twins was abandoned for the sibling rivalry between Gigi and Stacy, and to facilitate the baby swap reveal. How would they justify Natalie keeping the secret if she was still so furious and unforgiving of Jessica?

• Members

Nah, you're confusing issues.

I agree with you: If soaps are bad, then loyal viewership might be extending their lifespans...and to some extent delaying evolution. But that is a meta-perspective from "outside" the genre...

On the other hand, from an industry perspective, and from those of us who love our current shows...who want to see the shows we love live a little longer...stability in a context of decline is a wonderful thing.

• Members

I don't think I am (confusing issues). I mean, if GH is terrible and you say "It's nice to see a plus", then what's that? How can you "condone" horrific writing or something? Just for the sake of seeing your sick soap live a little more even though it can't speak or see or whatever... :unsure: I think that kind of positivity is very harmful. "I kind of know that it's terrible, but I still like it to be there." Then, in my opinion, you deserve the dreck you're getting. Don't complain about Frons or Pratt or Carlivati or Dena or whomever... (Brimike, I'm not talking about you, this is just a generalisation. :P)

Better to hit rock bottom now than to wait for it to hit it steeply declining. After rock bottom, one can rise again.

• Members

I realize this is addressed at brimike but...

If I hate the show, or feel the genre needs to go, or I believe that "turnarounds" are possible, then -- of course -- I'd like viewership trends to reflect dissatisfaction (declining ratings).

If I love the show, or feel that each show lost will not be replaced, and the genre will die, then I take comfort in stability.

But in your last sentence: "Better to hit rock bottom now than to wait for it to hit it steeply declining. After rock bottom, one can rise again." -- we both know that is not true. The Jack Peyton axiom tells us so.

• Members

I don't think Otalia can save GL, no matter how hot they are or well written. Otalia has been pimped almost too heavily. The network saw how popular Nuke on ATWT was and decided to go play up a safer, more society accepted girl on girl romance. I guess they thought that they saw how after Nuke kissed, ATWT shot to #3 in the ratings, they felt a safer, more accepted alternative Otalia would do the same for GL. The mistake Telenext/CBS/ ATWT was to forget Nuke and let them blow in the wind just because they are two guys and didn't see their genuine popularity.

• Members

The network has barely promoted Otalia at all. The show also did not focus on them until the new fans that were attracted by their story that had been slowly developing for a year, started bombarding them with positive messages.

• Members

I have to disagree. I see Otalia on practically everday. I don't always watch GL. When I do watch, they are always on and they are the only ones that have the best written scenes. Maybe if they wrote the whole show they way they write for Otalia, the show wouldn't be canceled.

ATWT, on the other hand, never has Nuke on except for this past week. Even when they are on a lot, like this week, it's mostly about other characters. ATWT needs to do for Nuke what GL has done for Otalia, though not in the same way. I don't get why ATWT didn't capitalize on Nuke's popularity when they did help to bring up ratings. Hopefully, this week was an indication of a change.

• Members

Oh, no worries. I didn't take it as anything. When I made the "nice to see pluses" comment, I fully admit to just making a casual, off-hand remark. I wasn't thinking about what it meant in terms of seeing bad writing rewarded, or anything like that. Sometimes I'm trying to make a case, and sometimes I'm just saying something off-the-cuff, and this was definitely one of those times I was just saying it was nice to see so many pluses. If I stop and think about it, I agree with both your points and Mark's. And it's something to be seriously debated. But my original post was just a casual thought, and I didn't take anything you said afterwards as being directed towards me. :D

• Members

For those that asked about fans rallying to save Guiding Light - I don't know if it was posted previously or not here, but there is also a Facebook page you can join, Save Guiding Light, and I know that all networks monitor the boards for things like that. The more members, the better it will look.

On a few other boards, it was just reported within the past day that people are getting replies to their post cards and emails sent to Lifetime. The replies have said (from Lifetime) that due to the thousands of emails and cards they have received, they are considering picking up Guiding Light. While they did not want themselves considered a soap opera channel, they have not been able to ignore the support of the fanbase.

The following is Lifetime's information - this is from the Admin of Guiding Light Central.

Lifetime Television

309 W. 49th Street

New York, NY 10019

(212) 424-7293

(212) 424-7122 (Viewer Relations)

viewerrelations@lifetimetv .com

http://www.mylifetime.com/

Archived