Y&R: Week of April 13, 2009

• Members

Yeah but...it's weird. It's a CHIPMUNK. so, it is very hard to find something symbolic or meaningful in that.

It's just goofy. I'm along for the ride...so I'll let it play out...but I keep assuming tht this is some in-joke, some wink.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the chipmunk-part is important. It's about Kevin-as-a-criminal, and his desire to escape the darkness that has plagued him, turned him into the kind of guy that did what he did to Lily and Colleen years ago. I see the chipmunk as just the embodiment of that darkness. When Gloria was in the chipmunk mask, I thought it was more about how Gloria pulled Kevin into her schemes for so many years. And since Mac was one of the first people to see the good in Kevin, I took the bookstore scenes as saying the chipmunk/aka the dark side of Kevin, was keeping him from Mac.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking all of this. LOL!

• Members

Well, chipmunk-as-metaphor (I'm balking at writing that...it seems so goofy) is somehow more palatable than chipmunk-as-wink.

It is so unfortunate that it is a chipmunk. A dark bat. A raven. These things would have worked better for me :-). And the raven could have been a college mascot.

But if it is a metaphor...

The closet, so far, has been his scary space. So, all enclosures and confinements have discomfited him. (Now, I wish I'd paid attention to see if...the few times he was at Restless Style...he refused to ride the elevator and took the stairs...at Newman too).

So the chipmunk is a mask. It encloses his social partners, masks them, and makes them scary, distorted.

But then I give up. Why Chipmunk? I know I'm getting too hung up on it, but it's just so weird and comical...I think it detracts from the seriousness, if that is what we're supposed to be experiencing.

• Members

I never understood why the character took such a drastic change when Kimsey took over as well. Kimsey was good but the character she portrayed wasn't the Mac that we all knew.

I agree with every single word here and the camp that Y&R has been in this particular storyline is just too much for my liking and that started with Clint, Roger and Annie.

Ford needs a more updated hairstyle, nothing glamorous just nothing as old looking as what she's supporting now. She had the line of the week to Jill: "I'm not the one with a history of sleeping with married men"! or something like that, either way, I loved it.

As far as Mary Jane Benson goes, so far it's working for me but I hope they don't drag out the suspense too long.

• Members

Well, remember how the Kimsey recast came about.

AshBash was back, but she was hard to schedule around classes.

They were auditioning for for Victoria, and they wanted (ostensibly) to soften her up a bit. They recast Heinle in the Victoria role, but they really liked Kimsey. So they wondered "where can we find a place for Kimsey?". And the AshBash replacement followed.

So, they shoehorned Kimsey into a role she didn't even audition for. Can there be any surprise, then, that she might not have totally fit the character?

I liked her a lot, but the reinvention of Mac was too extreme.

• Members

I had forgotten all of that, but yeah, your right about her Mac. I don't know if I could have even bought her as Victoria if that's what they had in mind since I still can't get onboard with Amelia's Victoria even though I liked her as Mia on AMC.

• Members

Wasn't it just a stolen college mascot costume? I thought there was a quick line when it first started about how a fan of a college sports team took things too far and held up a check cashing place. When Daniel first saw the video. I think that's all it was.

But I agree - I wish it was something a little darker. Like a raven or a wolf or something more threatening. The choice to make it a chipmunk is bizarre.

• Members

Well, that's how he was revealed as Michael's brother. He came out of the elevator at his office.

I don't believe for a second that AB's schedule was the reason why they recast her with Kimsey. Methinks they had trouble writing for Mac, especially since AB looked so young, no matter her new do. They wanted to sex her up, so they hired an older actress. And around her time, Mac had sex with JT (and it was her first time, no less :rolleyes: ). Or at least, that's my theory.

Archived