Those of you who say GL couldn't be saved...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People need to realize take Y&R's budget and GL's budget is about 20% of Y&R's entire budget. Again people do not realize it is BEYOND A MIRACLE THIS SHOW IS STILL ON THE AIR. It was supposed to be cancelled actually back in 1996 before Paul Rauch came. It was near cancellation in 2005 and then 2007 it was not only in danger it was a DONE DEAL. They are operating on the smallest budget ever seen in daytime. It is unbeliveable they are still producing a show with what they have. I really believe that Jill Lorie Hurst should be named head writer and co-exec producer for GL. IMO she understands this show like no other. Hurst has been with the show since 1994, so give her 15 years with the show in almost every capacity. It astounds me today this show is still on the air, they should NOT BE ON THE AIR TODAY AT ALL.

• Members

Why would you withhold judgement on the show until you hear about the renewal?

The point is, the show is kicking right now and it is something that just about EVERYONE is agreeing with. Even Dan and I agree and that NEVER happens.

Unlike Dan, I never gave up or ridiculed the show, I just hoped it got better and it has.

Every show has had its down turns, every show has had bad stories, every show has bad characters. To say that GL only does is ridiculous.

• Members

I haven't been able to watch a complete show in ages. I've never wished for GL's demise, but a couple of good weeks does not a rejuvenation make. I haven't been interested in Coop/Beth, Nat/Olivia, and Dinah/Shayne quickly got stale. And while Coop's exit is dramatic, it's not because I'll be missing him. He's been a negligable presence on the show for years.

OH, God...not Michelle....please, GOD, anyone but Michelle.

• Members

The show isn't saved,YET, so no I'm not ready to give in. When it gets renewed, then I'll admit that I fully expected the show to go off the air this year.

I will admit this though, I never thought we'd ever see from GL the material they have been putting out the past couple of weeks. I thought quality episodes were long gone so I am pleasantly surprised about that.

• Members

Oh, I didn't say it had been saved, per se... I'm saying that they can still manage to produce decent stuff, and when everyone said there was no possible way it can be salvaged, we can all see how it *could* be... given a bit of positive attention. We shall see!

• Members

I am pleasantly surprised at the fact that the show seems to be re-embracing the traditional soap storytelling model. There's more day to day continuity and character interactions that make sense. I am especially pleased that they have decreased their reliance on having characters wandering aimlessly in parks and fields, meeting up with other characters wandering aimlessly in parks and fields. :D However, I still would like to know why Phillip emerged from over a hill to rescue Coop from that car wreck. That's the kind of stuff that frustrates me - characters just appear for no reason in places that don't make sense. But, the show has been catching my attention like it has not for a loooooong time.

• Members

GL is the best it's been under this production format right now, but the show isn't stellar overall. Reva/Jeffrey disgusts me, Alan is still too much of a cartoon, and I've yet to see what's so great about that Otalia pairing. Not to mention, much of the dialogue is flat, and background scoring of this show tends to KILL some VERY GOOD scenes. Also, I'm sorry, but this production format goes out of its way to make its actors look ugly and rough. The make-up is horribly done on this show, which makes its actors look really bad with the way this show is shot.

But on the plus side, the show seems to be embracing traditional soap storytelling again, which is good. The pacing of the stories seem better, and there seems to be a better understanding of honouring character relationships.

• Members

How childish. :P The reason it is better is because of Phillip's return coupled with featuring the right characters. The writing has also improved. Who the hell would have thought the writing would improve???? Is Krietzman still writing?? I don't think so. The show still might not make it no matter how much better it has gotten. Only time will tell. I just hope they dont blow it up with horrible writing for useless characters.

Yeah, what Alvin said. ;)

• Members

Why would any of us "negativists" eat crow? Yeah, the show's been good for about eight weeks now and has been great for the last 10 days. And while I've enjoyed it immensely of late, six months ago, there was no rational reason whatsoever to believe that the people who dragged GL down to such depths in the first place had any clue how to improve it much less save it. It would appear that the only reason things are improving now is because the people who created this mess finally have less power and influence than they once did and someone who was a completely unknown quantity six months ago, Jill Lorie Hurst, seems to have more influence and is performing very well. I don't think any of us doubted that this show's actors could perform beautifully if given good material or that GA would make a powerful re-entry.

Can the intensity of the last few weeks be sustained? No. So the question is will the writing be there once the ripples from Phillip's big return have faded and other stories have to be showcased and integrated. I don't know. I hope so but over the last several years, GL has had a very hard time writing more than one good story at a time. They usually haven't even managed one but even when they have, they haven't had a decent second story to carry it's own weight and certainly not a third. That's still a problem. Phillip's return and the lead-up to it has been very good but outside of Phillip's sphere, what else is there really to build on other than Olivia & Natalia, which is now a part of the Phillip story anyway?

The kidnapping-story-from-hell? That needed to end three months ago. Luckily it looks like that might be over soon but only because of Phillip's intervention. We can only pray that fallout somehow finally rids us of Grady, Daisy, and Ashlee and reunites Bill & Lizzie.

What about the stories with little or no Phillip involvement?

Reva's geriatric pregnancy with her sister's rapist's demon spawn while Josh continues to languish on the backburner? Um, no, that still sucks. It sucks so badly and has marginalized the Reva character so much, how many people would honestly even miss Reva if KZ left in June? I know I wouldn't.

Shayne's incessant whining about some girl we never saw, met, or cared about and Reva's constant insistence that they throw this phantom character an endless stream meaningless memorial services and birthday parties while Edmund stews in the background with an equally directionless Dinah? No, that's not working. The Lewis family has so much potential but Shayne needs a real purpose, Jeva need to be reunited, and Jeffrey needs to be gone. Dinah & Shayne have electric chemistry but they aren't using it nor are they using either character's biggest strengths to tell an actual story. It appears that they're merely setting up another stupid PsychoEddie revenge tale or even worse, the incredibly boring Lara is actually alive.

The insipid Mallet & Marina's ridiculous quest to bring a baby into their vortex of suckage? No, that bites. Now, Mallet will be spending some time with Dinah in the coming weeks and Marina will probably sleep with Cyrus in the wake of Coop's death and get knocked up by him. If they pursue those avenues and end this M&M nightmare yesterday, that'll be a very good sign.

GL has improved and I am truly grateful to whoever is responsible for the return to a more traditional form of soap storytelling. I sincerely hope that they get renewed and have a chance to continue improving. But there are still issues that need to be addressed and they can't be ignored. They need to have more than one good story at a time, they still have pointless characters that need to be excised, there aren't enough compelling couples that viewers care about, and good characters like Mel, Blake, Vanessa, and Billy are being wasted or ignored.

• Members

A few weeks of good drama with Phillip is no guarantee. I'll give it a shot but I remember the horrors of recent months and years. Good dialogue people telling absolutely nonsensical, whiplash-speed stories. And frankly, I think Ellen Wheeler is too draconian and unstable to allow any equilibrium to set in.

• Members

That depends on the definition of "negativists".

Do I think people who say GL has many problems should stop pointing out those problems? No. I'd be telling myself to be quiet, because my problems with GL ran so deep that I fled the show for years.

Do I think that people who endlessly say GL sucks and should be canceled should reevaluate their opinion? Yes.

There's a difference between fans of the show who are unhappy and want changes, and people like Nelson Branco who seem relentlessly negative about nearly every aspect of GL and who make a production out of how killing the show would be some great service.

I don't think a few weeks of good drama means a show is saved. When a few weeks of good drama caused some to proclaim Y&R, or OLTL, or AMC to be superb and perfect and proof of a new revitalized show that puts everyone else to shame, I was cautious, and since then all of those shows (especially OLTL and AMC) have gone back to being heavily flawed. I'm sure the same will happen to GL.

I think the last week of episodes have been the best of daytime and I've watched the entire episode, which is not easy to do with most soaps now. I know that won't continue, but I think that considering the shape of daytime today, for this to happen at all is near-miraculous, and I don't think it's just because of GA's return. They've made me care about a number of people I couldn't have given a toss about in earlier years (Coop, Beth, Natalia).

I think they've proven they deserve more time, and I think they've proven that those who have nothing to say about GL other than it's the weak link of CBS Daytime or it should be canceled would be better served reconsidering their opinion, if they really care about quality.

I don't think it means people who are unhappy with the quality of the show should stop having those concerns. I just think there's a large faction of people out there who have already written GL off.

Archived