American Idol: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didnt catch her on DWTS. I started watching the show in latter seasons. Should I say it.....or not....lol....Hough sure likes gay guys...lol......

On second thought shouldnt Derek be dating Ryan?....lol He is dating the wrong Hough...lol

• Members

I usually post my long analysis elsewhere about Idol but I decided to post over here too because the discussion seems more lively.

Tonight was a solid night. I think the British Pop theme worked out better as the second round of songs were much better. The judges were totally a mess tonight but I suspect their agenda tonight was to be careful not to pimp anyone too much. To me, they were clearly gunning for Philip's ouster this week with him going second and placing him with Joshua on a duet. It's clear to me that they realize he needs to go. I was happy they only stood up once for Joshua tonight and it was actually DESERVED. They should've stood for Hollie and Jessica too on their second songs but I kind of get why they didn't. They don't want to pimp them too hard and get them sent home.

Jimmy and Steven Van Zandt were hilarious. I would've preferred a more known mentor but they were entertaining.

On to the performances in order of who I thought was best tonight:

1.) Hollie: She OWNED tonight IMO. Her first performance was solid and much better than her previous uptempo attempts. Her performance of "Bleeding Love" was STUNNING. I love the stripped down version. She did it her own way and NAILED it. Her best performance IMO. She had a classic "Idol moment" there. The judges should've stood for that but I get why they didn't. She really is gaining steam. I hope she stays. She did extremely well during the girls' group song too showing her range.

2.) Joshua: I've made it clear he's not a fave of mine BUT tonight he made a believer out of me. He showed more restraint on his screeching/upper register. His first performance wasn't great but was solid enough. He showed me he could be current with that song too. he could fit into the R&B niche and bring it back. His second performance was amazing IMO. He went for the high notes but didn't go too over the top. He showed restraint and I enjoyed that. His best performance for me of his. He deserved the standing ovation for that. He always chooses good songs too so props to him. He didn't do well on the duet with Philip BUT easily did better than Philip. The key was just too low for him given they had to lower it for Philip so the performance did nothing for him and even caused him to be pitchy. I felt bad for him on that performance but he did an ok job all things considered.

3.) Skylar: I'm a fan but I didn't particularly love her tonight. She was merely ok overall. Her first performance was solid enough. Good song choice and right in her wheelhouse. Southern rock is a good idea for her and the choice of song allowed her to show her strengths, which are performance quality and just belting out an uptempo song. She was in her element and she needed that after being in the bottom 3 last week. Her second performance was solid as well except I wish she did more with it and showed more of her range. She is capable as she has proven that several times this season. Also, the ending of that performance was way too abrupt. She was a little rough too on her parts in the group song so an average night for her IMO.

4.) Jessica: Not the best night for her. Her first performance was way too Vegas-like. It felt way too overdone and the dancing was distracting. She's proven to have performance quality in her own way. She didn't need to go so over the top just because J-Lo encouraged it. It threw her vocals off too IMO. The song was a little all over the place. I do like her showing more personality in her performances but also in interviews and clip packages. For a few weeks, she came off too robotic so good for her. Her second performance was AMAZING. Stunning. Very good vocal. Good song choice. She proved again that there is just something about singing while lying down on Idol that creates great performances (Fantasia, Katherine McPhee). Good for her. Again, the judges should've stood but I get why they didn't. They are being careful. Her role in the group song was a mixed bag. She did miss her extrance into the song but, aside from that, I thought she did ok. She's vulnerable tomorrow but I think and hope her second performance saves her.

5.) Philip: A FLAT OUT MESS!! He proved why he's VFTW's selection right now. Same old with him on both songs. He changed the song for his 1st performance way too much and, as he always does, he sucked the life out of it with both the way he changed it and the way he sang it. It was almost unrecognizable. He clearly tries to stay away from melody and the second performance of his showed why...because he can't sing it. His second performance was all over the place vocally, especially on the high notes. I noticed he took his ear piece out at the start of it. I wonder if we have Idol sabotage on that LOL but clearly something threw him off. I don't like him but that second performance was bad, even for him. The judges on both performances this week and last look like they want to say he sucks but don't want to rally his fans so they act like he's doing solid enough. His duet with Joshua was just a mess, especially on his end. The key was lowered for him, to Joshua's disadvantage, and he still sucked. He just made it so lifeless. I hate his performance quality especially. Ugh. Not sure what to make of Joshua and Philip after the duet. I took it as them joking around about the song and the awkwardness but I've seen alot of people taking it negatively and saying Philip and Joshua don't like each other and/or Joshua is a diva. I didn't see it that way but perspectives like that could hurt one or both in the voting.

Here's who I THINK will be Bottom 3: Hollie, Jessica, Philip

Here's who I THINK will go: ANY of the bottom 3 (I know that's a cop out but I just can't make a call. Skylar and Joshua are the only 2 I see as safe. Skylar will be helped alot by being in the bottom 3 last week. That will scare her fans into rallying for her. Philip should finally make an appearance in the bottom 3 as I think he will lose alot of casual fans/swing voters and that will be enough to drop him down a few slots.)

Here's who SHOULD be Bottom 3: Skylar, Jessica, Philip

Who SHOULD go home: Philip

DialIdol currently has Philip last in DialIdol score AND busy percentage. The DialIdol score has accurately predicted everyone who has gone home since top 9 week ASIDE from the week Jessica was eliminated and saved. So, with Philip showing last right now, it's not looking good BUT given he has the young girl vote, he may have a high degree of text and online votes for him like Skylar seems to have. I really hope that he does go and I think it will help the show immensely. It will show people that we will finally have someone DIFFERENT as a winner and that the show isn't so predictable. The quality of the show will also improve too. We still have the West Coast to go as far as voting but, in the past, they've supported Skylar and Jessica pretty heavily. We'll see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It cracks me up how the show ran so far away from the divas (with speculation at the time being that they didn't want to be known too much for having black winners) and they have had the same winner just about every season since.

• Members

snoozefest finale. This might be the lamest finale ever. Where were the huge surprise guest acts? J Lo and Aerosmith don't count. That bit with Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young seemed so staged and phony. And that duet with Jennifer Holiday and Jessica Sanchez was truly awful. The duet between whatshername and Jordin Sparks wasn't pleasant either. Sparks was ok but the other one eventually was just screaming trying to reach the notes. The Bee Gees tribute really highlighted what good voices The Bee Gees had, if you know what I am saying.

They chased after the young girl demographic so much that now they are sort of trapped by them. If I were a 14 year old girl I would vote for Philip Phillips too.

• Members

I'm glad Joshua didn't win. I was so sick of his screaming...lol.....

I thought the show was ok entertainment wise...liked seeing Rhianna....I had no clue who Jessica was singing with....lol.....didnt know it was Jennifer Holiday.....

• Members

<embed src="http://www.joystar.tv/flv_player/Main.swf" quality="high" width="640" height="385" FlashVars="config=http://www.joystar.tv/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/1409.xml" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

This guy I thought did a nice job. He quit just when it seemed like he could win the whole show.

• Members

Jessica and Jennifer Holiday owned the night. The duet was so ridiculous but also so good. If I hadn't been watching the TV screen I would have thought this was a great duet. The on-screen just made it more like epic comedy. I couldn't stop rewinding this.

RUesX.gif

zBh2S.gif

f3uMS.gif

Jennifer and Randy's initial reaction to the on-stage exorcism (showing Nicki how to do it right?) or whatever was possessing Ms. Holiday...

PdNMN.gif

ETA:

I was rooting for Joshua to win, so my heart wasn't really with either contestant in the final. I think Phillip is sweet as heck, and Jessica can sing her butt off at times, but meh.

• Members

I was happy Philip won! It seemed like they were setting Jessica up to win though, especially after that OTT yet amazing performance with Jennifer Holiday. Philip was barely seen tonight and only had one standalone performance. Jessica had like, 3. And she actually sang with the other finalists. It just seemed like she was going to win...I was really happy for Philip, that was such a touching moment!

LMAO at your comments, Angela. I absolutely love that gif of Randi and Jennifer

I was hysterically laughing during Ace's proposal to Diana. FAKE AS HELL!

• Members

I cant believe you guys liked that performance. That song is a tuneless wonder, practically unhummable, and only serves as a showcase for someone to hit periodic glory notes to garner applause. Jessica Sanchez just screamed it out in her typical Mariah/screaming style. This is what American Idol loves though for some reason.

Archived