2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

When did I express any hatred towards Tom or anyone else in this thread? LOL!

I was the first one that said I'm open to giving Tom's breakdowns a chance, like I would with anyone else. I for one can't exactly pin-point what his strengths and weaknesses are as a breakdown writer, and rest assured, I will be watching his episodes carefully. I wish him the best of luck, and like Toups said, he's a really nice guy and a devout soap opera fan.

However, I do agree with R Sinclair on that notion that many many fans see people like Casiello and Bibel with blogs and think they're the saviours of daytime, when they're really not and don't claim to be so. Some people take their words and think they'd make great HW's or whatever. Well, I'm sorry, taking someone's words on a blog isn't enough for me. I know almost nothing about what their strengths and weaknesses are and I'm not into making hyperbolic statements about writers whose writing I'm not 100% familiar with. It's easy to tell me, it's another story to show me.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... :lol: Now I may change my tune and say that perhaps you don't hate him, you hate this whole charade and lovefest around him. :unsure::P

Toups, you know that doesn't work with me. That whole "go ahead, explain" approach. :P This is a place whose members are soap fans, meaning lots of fanbases - no matter how hilarious, untrue, fake, whatever they are - and where people find (bizarrely) a lot of enjoyment in fanbases wars. This is one of them. Casiello people vs. anti-Casiello camp.

Also, Tom Casiello is soooooooo besides the point here. I bet people think I downright detest him. In reality? I am indifferent.

The problem is - he represents what's wrong with daytime, i.e. people clamoring for someone to become HW or something when in reality they have no idea what kind of a writer he (or someone else) is. That's the problem. So it can be Tom Casiello or it can be Veronica Sandbridge. Same difference.

P. S. What's up with the board? No fast reply? No formatting buttons etc.?

• Members

wow. love him or hate people people cant seem to stop talking about tommy c.

as a person, from what i have gotten to know about him via talks/messages/etc, i love him.

as a writer? idk because really, i dont pay attention to every word said on a soap opera and analyze it.

tho even if he is bad, id rather have a bad writer who cares than a ok one whos only there for a check. its how i feel about actors too.

• Administrator

That's what I thought - you can't explain it. And dude, this isn't about Pro-Casiello vs Anti-Casiello. You can hate on him all you want - I don't really care cause that's your opinion. I have beef with you thinking I'm fake with my pro-Casiello comments. How do you know I'm fake? Or other people who like him are fake?

That's not their problem though. Tom, Sara and any other blogger are just posting their opinions, so why blame them for people clamoring for them to be HW? Are they going, "Can everyone post on various message boards saying you want me as the new Head Writer. Thanks!" So I don't see how "he" represents what's wrong with daytime. How is this affecting daytime? It's not.

• Members

I don't think Sylph was saying it's their problem. I took it to mean that this very issue surrounding both Casiello and Bibel is representative of the problem.

It's like the Kay Alden consulting at ABC issue back in 2007. The minute it was mentioned that Alden was consulting at ABC, everyone immediately assumed that every AMC episode from that point on -- while credited as being head written by Megan McTavish -- was actually rewritten by Kay Alden because they just KNEW that hack McTavish couldn't write the moments they had just enjoyed.

It's like the Ron Carlivati issue. When it was announced he was being promoted to Dena Higley's co-head writer, people were SOOOOOOO overjoyed since they despised her writing that they just assumed anything enjoyable HAD to have been Carlivati's doing, because they just KNEW Higley couldn't do anything right. And then once she was gone, for the first part of his year at the helm, fans were dancing in the streets, rejoicing. And then once that died down, a story here or a particular beat there pissed off a certain group of fans, and then the hack claims came raining down.

It's like the Brown & Esensten issue at AMC. Yeah, I agree they sucked ass, but remember how people just KNEW Agnes Nixon was ghostwriting AMC because B&E are hacks incapable of writing anything entertaining? Jesse and Angie's storyline? Oh, sure. Agnes ghost wrote that. Nevermind the woman is a living legend who doesn't have to ghost write any damn thing on her own creation, but fans just KNEW she was doing it.

The problem, as I see it (I don't speak for Sylph), is that people are praising and praising and praising these writers simply because of what they've written on their blogs. From these blogs and interviews, fans are now "just KNOW-ing" again about how great they are and think they should just head write all 8 shows and save the genre...!!! That is, until their favorite character or supercouple gets a bad storyline, then the beating of the drums for the removal of the hacks will return.

• Members

I completely understand what you're saying and I agree a hundred percent, with one caveat: I think it's more representative of a larger problem with the Internet soap-viewing audience than with daytime in general. In terms of daytime-in-general, it's pretty much a blip on the radar. I wouldn't call it a larger problem in daytime, because I think daytime has much bigger problems right now. It's really just a flaw in perception from those who bounce around soap sites on the web.

People need to accept the blogs for what they are - one person's thoughts, like anyone else's. Like MarkH's, or Patrick Erwin's, or Marlena's. They're not job applications, and they were never meant to be.

• Members

Nelson's Suds Report for this week

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/The+Suds+R...n_NB.htm?isfa=1

He states with B&B that he has learned 'the best news ever'...now that could absolutely be a casting or storyline decision...but...and it's a BIG but...Nelson absolutely loathes Kay Alden and bashes her any moment he can...I'm wondering if, somehow, she's been fired or quit?

I'm going to have to do some of my own digging...ugh...!

• Members

And...

Thank you, Toups. Could not have said any of this better myself.

Now, as Millie Jackson once said, "Back to the s**t."

Too bad Amber isn't on B&B anymore; then, I'd know for sure that Louella's "best news ever" was that Andrea Evans - his most favorite actor ever, apparently - was returning to the show as Amber's mother, Tawny.

Archived