2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he'll be able to understand the show much better this time around. Really, who can blame him or anyone else that Latham hired and fired after 5 minutes for not "getting" the show during that time period? I'm sure she didn't even get it herself. I'm willing to give his breakdowns a chance, and I'm sure this past year has gained him a wealth of knowledge as to what his strengths and weaknesses are as a writer and understanding of some important elements about all the soaps, Y&R included.

I must say that I, for one, did enjoy many of James Stanley's breakdowns. I think he adjusted rathter well from the Latham to Arena-Bell transition. I felt like he understood what was expected out of his scenes and the relationship dynamics between many of the characters. I really did think he was one of the better Latham additions, and apparently, so did Maria. I have no doubt that Casiello can at least turn out the consistent quality in breakdowns as Stanley did, he might even be a step up.

• Members

Admittedly, I didn't like Stanley sticking around because he was an LML addition. But the man writes quite nicely. Technically, I think he really 'got' MAB's mandate and adjusted his writing style to suit what she wanted. His work on Y&R has been good and I wish him well with whatever he and Dianne have going on.

Casiello, one can hope, will bounce back at Y&R. It's a very specific show, I wish him the best as well. If he doesn't cut it, MAB will fire him, if he does, she'll gladly extend a contract, that's a good lady that MAB...

• Members

It's so funny. I hated Latham on Knots Landing. Haaaated her. She was co-HW for 5 seasons and only one of them was good (season 10.) But when she came to Y&R I was happy. I felt the show had gotten stale. And then... it was just as preachy/plot-driven/"hip" as her Knots tenure. I agree that Casiello was basically doomed to fail under her. The most disturbing thing to me in Casiello's blog was his post about network intervention/actor vacation/etc. I hate people who try to avoid blame for their failures, yet I totally believed him. Just hoping/praying that CBS will not interfere with Y&R. Even though ATWT is my preferred CBS soap, Y&R obviously has a better chance of survival at this point and I just want Barbara Bloom to stay the [!@#$%^&*] out.

LOL, we're such nerds, aren't we? But I love it. I didn't like Obama at first but at this point anything is better than Bush. Hoping we can climb out of our slump and be #1 like we used to be in the 90s. With that said, I hope the Buffalo Bills won't suck next season.

• Members

God, I don't know how I feel about Tom on Y&R. I've never been a big fan of his based on the writing teams he's been apart of. His last stint on Y&R in particular didn't do him any favors. But as you guys say, the show was different then and he has had a long time to reflect on what went wrong in not only his career, but daytime in general. Maybe it could work out. I just wish Sara Bibel wasn't still unemployed. She has such deep knowledge of Y&R and is a young fresh voice. Why she hasn't been invited back is a total mystery.

Archived