2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Most of those people Toups mentioned worked at OLTL in the the late 80's/early 90's. Passions might not be everyone's cup of tea, it wasn't mine, but they had a decent directing team. In fact, I thought the directing on Passions was generally better than the directing on DAYS, at least when Steve Wyman Co-EP was there.

AMC has some decent directors right now, but the overall directing on that show leaves A LOT to be desired. The editors need to be fired as well, AMC has sloppiest editing of all the ABC soaps, IMO.

AMC has got to get rid of that film look, it might have improved over what it was in 2006, but it makes the show look so sloppy and ugly. That type of look doesn't flow well with all the studio shooting most of these daytime soaps use.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's so tough for me to separate the production aspects of Passions from... well... the fact that it's Passions. For all I know, it could be the most well-oiled, talented, best-liked, hardest-working directing and producing team in all of daytime, and I wouldn't know because they had to spend all their time filming scenes of mermaids talking to themselves for thirty-six minutes.

I admit fully that I have no thoughts on any of the Passions team positive or negative. So I'm willing to give any of them the same shot I'd give anybody else at another show. Because for all I know, there's a Kathryn Foster in one of them just ready to shine. (I'm not holding my breath - but you never know...)

• Members

im no ok with anyone behind the scenes of GH:NS2 to work anywhere in daytime, aside from SR.

That show look as awful as season one was. But thena gain i already think AMC looks uber cheap so... how much worse can it get? Ad it cant get worse than GL... i hope!

• Members

:lol:

So, Lisa de Cazotte never had anything to do w/ the writing on PASSIONS. How do you explain, though, the gauche sets and "special effects"?

Now, Erwin "Nick" Nicholson -- there was an EP who could do amazing things with very little money!

• Members

Re: Michael Stich

Are you sure he directed the first Y&R episode of the year??? I only checked because the directing seemed different from his B&B style with lots of close-ups and strange camera angles. And according to IMDB there IS a Mike Stitch as credited on this episode... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2370440/

He used to be a camera man on Y&R aeons ago but why should they use such a credit if it weren't true.

Add that B&B's Michael Stich used Michael S. Stich just recently I don't think he was the one doing the Jan 2nd show.

• Members

How old is David Cherrill?

(Also, do you think this is really a lone writer -- David -- or does it really signify a writing team with his wife Cherrill?).

Anyway, look at these end credits from a 1979 episode of The Doctors!

cherill.jpg

The full credits, highlighted by Roger Newcomb today since the show is going to Hallmark Channel, is here (embedding disabled).

• Members

Dianne Messina Stanley quit! Hallelujah!

Although I buy that she left on her own...I think it went more like this...

Maria Arena Bell: Dianne this script just isn't going to work, I'm going to send it off for some editing from Saundra Weintraub and Janice Ferri Esser...

Dianne Messina Stanley: How dare you! I wrote Knots Landing! I worked for Aaron Spelling!

Maria Arena Bell: And you no longer work for me! Next bitch!

Archived