2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that's true, Kubla, then it isn't surprising (to me, anyway).

Still, three self-professed fans of the genre - Tom Casiello (at Y&R, and at DAYS), Sara A. Bibel (at AMC), and now, possibly, DuFour - have flopped writing for it. Ron Carlivati's practically the only one who proves "new blood" is needed to keep this business alive; and even he has suffered a few slings and arrows along the way. ("Rapemance", anyone?) This is not good, people, not good at all.

• Members

Very good point Khan. Dont forget Tom Casiello was also at ATWT. Thank Gawd Casiello is no longer on ATWT. I didnt like some of his comments during his interview with Ryan concerning ATWT. If I am correct...i could be wrong but he also said even though he hated writing certain stories for certain characters he still did..and played the game. I think he is given to much praise. IMO of course. There are those who worship Tom and his writing. I am not one of them

That said though I would love to see Bibel writing on ATWT. I like her ideas about what a soap should be about. I really didnt catch her work on AMC. I wonder what she would do with Luke and the rest of Oakdale. :)

• Members

:blink: Because... It is in his CONTRACT!!! He's a writer for hire - we pay you to write what we want you to write, not what you want to write. What kind of a comment is this?!

And if Sara's hired as a SW or BDW, she'll still write what Jean tells her to. Actually, not Jean, Chris.

• Members

Thank you, guys! ;) I like both of you and your posts! God knows, we have our differences, but that's what makes it a whole lot more interesting!

Sure. :) Jean actually finds soaps below her and is in many way in conflict with her own "artistic" ideals by writing them.

• Members

This is really old, but I just listened to the Peter Brash interview from last February. It was enjoyable and informative.

I was over the moon when Brash referred to my favorite writer Richard Culliton as a "giant of soap writing" along with Pam Long and Nancy Curlee when talking about his brief time at GL.

I wish there had been more AW questions since Brash was at Another World almost to the end, but oh well. Funny how he was so in love with Margaret DePriest when many fans blame her for the death of the show because of killing off Frankie, but I guess that can be chalked down to the network interference that he alluded to with her work.

Wow, I did not know Brash worked with Doug Marland briefly on ATWT sometime in the 80s! He has truly been around for someone who still feels like an "imposter." How humble.

I'm surprised how little he remembers of his own work ... I wonder how much other writers remember.

It was fascinating to hear about how he got started on The Doctors and how execs paid him to write synopses of scripts before that. There's so much soap history out there that is barely known.

I was a bit sad that he did not metion Holden and Lily, or Tom and Margo, among his favorite characters to write for on ATWT, but I guess it is not surprising considering they have not really been written for at the top.

• Members

Those two run the room (if there were a room). Meaning, day-to-day people, they write outlines, assign scripts etc. They have very little or no say in stories and each one of their decisions can be sanctioned and Chris's wishes fulfilled.

Archived