2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe they're the only two writing all five breakdowns a week (the Great Dena Higley Days Experiment, if you will), so much like "Guiding Light", it seems the Head Writer role at the P&G shows is basically another title for "Staff Breakdown Writer".

• Members

I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that Goutman's the idea guy, and sets the tone and pacing for the stories. Therefore, he's not actually writing. Since JP and LL (and probably a third writer here and there) are writing all the breakdowns, the breakdowns pretty much become the long story document. My guess is that Goutman says "I want this, this, and this" and then JP and LL just make it happen in breakdowns. He's always been hands-on with the storylines there, and I think it's just been stronger in the last couple of years (and especially during the strike). But in terms of actual writing of scenes and dialogue, that's in the hands of the writers.

Of course, Goutman can nix anything that crosses his path - but as long as he doesn't physically write anything, they can't get in trouble with the guild.

If you'll notice, ATWT doesn't really work off of a long story anymore anyway. Their storylines only last about six-to-eight weeks, and pretty much have a beginning, middle, and an end. (One story doesn't grow out of the previous one. They're all disconnected from each other for the most part.)

• Members

Wow, Khan is awesome in his wishes and predictions. :lol:

Oh well, I must say, I did like many of the breakdowns James Stanley wrote, he did a pretty good job IMO. But, he was one of the last remains of the Latham era, and the show has done a good job of getting away from that, as it should.

What was the point of Diane taking on this job if she was going to leave 2 minutes afterwards anyway? :rolleyes:

I'm sure there were other unemployed writers who would've been more loyal and done a better job.

• Members

^I agree, Salmons has done a great job with her scripts so far. I get the sense that she does her research and is very intrigued to learn the backstory of these characters. I notice that she sometims slips stuff in that only diehard fans would know, like when she had Michael mention Chantal. But I guess I also have a bias for most of the writers who wrote for GL in the early 90's too, so. :lol:

Archived