2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Frankly, I'm not sure how any soap viewer can say they're a "fan" of most breakdown or script writers, considering they don't know how much of what was written was their voice, and how much was the head writer/the editor/the network/the actor/the director/etc.

Head writers are a different story. But even someone like Mulcahey, who has written some damn near brilliant scripts in his time, doesn't seem to be delivering at B&B. We don't know these people, nor are any of us involved with the writing. So how anybody can say they like or don't like a breakdown writer is beyond me.

If you're a fan of a blog, then be a fan of a blog. That's fine. Doesn't mean anybody is the Savior of Daytime, nor does it mean they're Hacks. I think most writers are really, really strong at some things, and not so strong at other things, and the best any of us can ask for is that a head writer pulls together a writing team that fills in each other's gaps, and complements each other. Then you have a well-rounded show.

A lot of Days fans hated Sheffer, and now the Y&R fans feel like he's a great addition to their show. Labine wrote a beautiful General Hospital, and a really weak OLTL. If Casiello fits in with the rest of the Y&R team, there's no reason not to be thrilled. And if he doesn't, he won't make it past his first cycle and Y&R fans won't ever hear from him again. I think most Internet soap fans have put far more importance on this one writer just because he reached out to them over the last year and broke that silence than necessary. I just want the show to be good at the end of the day, I don't care whose names are in the credits. Sure, it can be entertaining to put writers on a pedestal or vilify them on the message boards. Who will "save the day", and who is "an evil bitch who will destroy my show". And I like to speculate as much anyone else in this thread. But if he sucks, he's out. Plain and simple. And it's no skin off anyone's back. Well - except his.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm just saying that what he's saying or doing, with his 8 years of experience, is nothing grander than anyone else who has been in this business for 30+ years. I understand and appreciate the fact that we're rooting for him and Bibel because they are in our age range (well, some of us, anyway), and are the future of the genre, but still. I think outline writing is a thankless role.

• Members

I agree completely. He's definitely no more important than any other mid-level writer, and I'm happy to say that on the record. Like I said, I think a lot of post-ers built him up into something more just because he talked to them. But he's not the greatest writer in daytime, nor is he even close.

• Members

Probably. I'm sure you'll point out numerous ways I've contradicted myself. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

ETA: Sorry - didn't mean to imply what you said didn't matter. I re-read that and it came out wrong. Just that we're talking about writers. Not what I posted a year ago, and how I'm contradicting myself. I probably had a different opinion at one point. My opinions change a lot. I'm the first to admit that. I like to free-think. Sometimes, I think I'm wrong about my opinions on people and stories. For better or worse. My mind changes. I know you think that's a bad thing, Sylph, and I respect that. I won't argue it. We're all different. That's cool. :D

• Members

I have a much different opinion of Maria Bell, to be honest. I don't think she'll keep a writer who isn't delivering what she wants on her show. It's not like ABC, where they keep somebody FOREVER out of loyalty, when they suck. MAB, from what I've seen, will cut people loose if it's not up to the Y&R standard. I trust her judgment, especially over the last six months. I think that's why I believe it doesn't really matter. This is MAB's show. It's not like Days, where it seems like a free-for-all, and everybody is involved in head writing. This is the Bells' show, and if you don't like their style, then you won't last long.

Archived