2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

It seems that Casiello is so popular that many sites list his arrival at Y&R full of excitement and then hundreds of fans start raving about how he is going to change the storylines for better, quit writing bad storylines and change everything.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So a head writer writes what's going to happen that day, right? And the breakdown writer breaks it down into scenes?

Well I've had times watching soaps when the scene cut way before it should have (e.g. a big secret just came out, and the reaction should be imminent, not after a commercial, you cut to the commercial after, "I have to tell you something," not AFTER the "something" itself.)

So a good breakdown writer is somewhat important when it comes to overall execution of stories. But no, a breakdown writer cannot be a soap's savior (though I never saw Casiello say that. in fact, I've only ever heard him say the opposite. in fact, I've never heard his fans say that either, just, "I think he's a good guy and I'm happy he has a job again." We all have family and/or friends who are unemployed right now, anyone I like who gets a job is a good thing IMO.)

I think of the three I'd most like to be a script writer. The HW gets all the blame, has a lot of responsibility, and has to make too many people (i.e. execuprod, the network, the sponsors, the production co.) happy. The breakdown writers get no chance to have fun, and it's the most repetitive job of the three. Script writers get to be more creative and don't take any heat (unless your name is Lynn Martin, in which case YOU DESERVE IT!)

• Members

Hundreds of people are wrong. :rolleyes:

It's a shame, but (just like we were all saying a few pages back), something those hundreds don't like will happen on-camera, and TC will be labeled a hack just like everybody else (whether he wrote that episode or not). He even came right out and said he has no say in storylines in print, so it's not like that point hasn't been driven home.

Everybody just needs to chill out. Not here on SON... I mean those hundreds of people on other sites thinking something miraculous has happened. The only miracle that's taken place is he was given another chance after two years of blogging.

• Members

all these writing changes at B&B can only mean one thing...This show will expand to an hour and GL will be cancelled. That's why they've expanded their writing team and brought back Rex Best. In a world of shrinking budgets, they have three high profile writers (alden, smith and mulcahey) now byrne, best, devousier, bradely...huge writing team...for an hour show...bye bye GL in sept 09

• Members

I hadn't thought about the B&B expansion. I kind of assumed that every hour gained by the networks would be viewed as an "opportunity" to divest themselves of soaps. But, I guess, B&B could be expanded to an hour at well less than a doubling of cost.

I wonder....

Given the creative state of the show these days, I do not see how an hour would be helpful. On the other hand, Bradley has always blamed his incestuousness and short attention span on the small canvas. So, I suppose, the bigger canvas would give him a chance to show what he can do.

But the hour format would be a liability for international sales. Sure, they could cut the show into two half-hours...but this leads me to believe Bradley would actively resist the temptation. He'd want to create his own fresh half-hour spinoff...but of course that wouldn't have the cost efficiencies. UNLESS...it was a new "parallel" show set in the same sets and universe...kind of like Port Charles and GH. Brad already has B&B down to three production days a week. So, if he was willing to have the studio open Saturdays, he could shoot the companion show on the same sets three days a week.

• Members
I thought it was still four days a week? B&B's move to an hour would cost the network more money than you think. Especially if Y&R stays at CBS(which some people believe is 1000% set in stone with no room for speculating outside the box).

Why would it be a liability? The show would practically produce itself. They would get two shows for the price of one if they did sell it internationally. So, if B&B does end up being cancelled, they would already have episodes banked, because they've cut the show into half-hour chunks for international syndication.

• Members

That's all wrong...on so many levels.

Brad likes his half hour, his actors love the half hour, the writers love the half hour. EVERYONE loves the half hour. It IS a liability for overseas sales because the half hour show is what sells. Yes, they could break up hour long episodes but that would entail making sure that each half hour of the hour could stand alone as a show.

The half hour pace allows Brad to overhaul the show at a moments notice (as in the case of the show currently). Also, yes the writing team looks big for a half hour...but it's all about the B&B lifestyle, nobody gets burned out, nobody is doing B&B 24/7.

HW:

Brad Bell

Co-HW:

Michael Minnis and Kay Alden

Script Writers:

Jack Smith

Tracey Ann Kelly

Patrick Mulcahey

Rex M. Best

Shannon Bradley

Adam Dusevoir

Elizabeth Snyder

Martha Byrne (trial run)

Story Consultant:

Jerry Birn

Yes, 8 script writers does seem like a lot for a half hour show...but the writers get to have a life and they don't get overworked. Brad is the Boss...Minnis and Alden are editors and 'structure' writers (the B&B equivalent of a breakdown and long term projection)...the rest write scripts and Jerry Birn collects a pay check for being Bill Bell's best friend and for saying "Yeah, No, Umm, Sure, Maybe, Gotcha" a few times a month.

Archived