2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Word. If I were a HW (yeah, right), I'd have him on my staff as a breakdown/AHW, if not as my Co-Head. His feel for "homey" family drama is wonderful, the perfect counterbalance to yours truly, who is all about the dark, lol.

• Members

Excuse me, but I never said anything was wrong with being "dark", lol. You can be "dark" and still be entertaining without resorting to character assassination and history-rape. Unfortunately, neither Jill nor Megan seem(ed) to understand that.

• Members

Having read one of his posted breakdowns... eh. <_< He's probably only there because he and Hogan get along.

Until he wrote a hacked up Zendall breakdown, of course.

Exactly. There's a difference between being dark and being depressing. Megan writes depressing stories. I never finished watching an episode of AMC while she was writing feeling like I had escaped for an hour or had been entertained. Yes, Pratt's stories aren't light and cheery, but they are still fantasy. Raping countless women or stealing babies or grieving babies or watching serial killers isn't "escapism," simply because all we have to do is turn on the news and see real people actually living these situations. Where's the escape, exactly?

Back on point, I'm still lost when it comes to this overwhelming Casiello Lovefest. Sure, he loves the genre -- that isn't to say a majority of the writers, who have been writing long before anybody had ever heard of him, don't have a love or passion for the genre. But at the same time, he says "network interference" and it's taken as gospel. Someone else says "network interference" or "budget" and they get called hacks. I need to see why he's worthy of all this love and praise. So far, I haven't... and I'm glad he's not at AMC.

• Members

I won't presume to speak for everyone, nor do I pretend to be some grand arbiter of taste, but I have read some of TC's work (besides what has been posted online) and I believe him to be a good and sincere writer. As always, though, YMMV.

Thank you.

Archived