2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL, Passanante is listed with David Kreizman.

The article about directing is fascinating! I never thought about their having to time the runtime for every episode, but it's so obvious now that I've read about that that it must be super important!

• Members

From what Nelson has been saying for months, Chris Goutman was writing and now David Kriezman is the new HW. Passanante is a glorified breakdown writer according to him and I believe it. Look at that March interview. When he talked about the storyline and the problems the writers had, he spoke of Goutman as if he was the writer. Then he mentioned that Kriezman took over and never mentioned Passanante. We know Leah Laiman can't be doing much yet she's been listed as Co-HW, so maybe Passanante is there in name only as well.

It's definitely clear whatever the case that there is someone new writing the show. Several stories have been dropped and characters written off. Sad thing is that ATWT was very good when Kriezman arrived and most of the things he dropped were working.

• Members

I kinda suspected that they must somehow time the scenes in daytime soaps.... I'm wondering if this timing is unique to daytime soaps? It would appear that it's imperative that they time each scene for daytime soaps because of the continuous nature of things (at least, for some of the soaps :rolleyes: )--you usually can't afford to cut off two or three whole scenes, because then it messes up the whole thing. Or maybe that's just me :lol:

• Members

ATWT was good when Kreizman arrived because Kreizman arrived (my theory is he was influencing the show on a test run before he was hired, and then after he was hired some stuff was already showing up on screen of his weeks before he began to be officially credited).

Things have only gotten better since.

There is only one thing I really think he dropped, a possible Adam/Alison/Casey triangle. (Note that Adam left before Kreizman was credited on screen, which supports the idea he was influencing story already before he was credited.)

Bonnie/Dusty weren't dropped -- they were never on to begin with. The best writing they ever had was on their last day, which was a little after he was credited, the first time they had been on screen in months. Instead of just letting them break up off-screen, he actually wrote them an ending with Dusty claiming to be not over Jen, and Bonnie referencing problems with her daughter and her breakup with Isaac, and Jessica coming into town for her daughter to grill Dusty.

What are these other stories that have supposedly been dropped? Mason, the story that was never going anywhere anyway? Bob/Kim medical story - I say maybe to that. It was a great story. But I'm not sure there was a plan to have much more to that anyway. At least Bob and Kim referenced it again when they were seen on Tuesday. And my theory is that it may have been a Kreizman test run story to begin with. Liberty's baby, Paul/Emily or Jack/Janet adopting? I never thought she was going to carry it for 9 months.

Ralph, Audrey, Maeve, leaving, was all planned from the beginning in that they were always going to be short-term. Jade, Derek, and Matt all disappeared months ago under Passanante. James probably died under Passanante, but if not, he was probably also always going to be short-term anyway. Hunter is still around somewhere.

Meg will be back, I am sure, Goutman won't let her stay offscreen for long. I think "crazy Meg willing to be like Paul to get Damian" is a Kreizman influence, that was one of the stories on the first or second day he was credited (although it had been building to that a little while before).

Is Vienna gone for good? I think it is just a breather. Brad was written off but this has been much better material for Katie than she has gotten in a long time.

We need to see Tom again, who was getting good airtime for awhile there but hasn't under Kreizman.

• Members

The Adam story was dropped obviously for

Bonnie and Dusty makes three and that is important because it means the end for diversity. Kriezman had a chance to give them a story, but he chose to write her off to do Lusty 2.0 with Teri. Vienna has also been written off, but of course they say she'll be back. Yeah right. The Mason story has gone nowhere, but I blame Telenext for that. The Bob and Kim story lacked resolution and with Adam gone, I worry that Margo's screentime will dwindle. Poor Tom is just done now.

All were announced short term, but now it's been reported that they want Lynn Herring back full time. Her run was extended into the fall when it was originally supposed to end in the summer. I do feel like Maeve was a short term character with long run potential. Just look at them bringing her to Oakdale and giving her a makeover. When they decided on all those returns, particularly

, that probably did Maeve in.

MEg has been "crazy" for a while. I'm not sure I'd call her crazy, they're simply writing her like the character originally was. Desperate, selfish and an idiot. I just wish Iva was around to put her ass in check like she did in the past.

Now I don't think all the changes are terrible, but I do think some were unnecessary, especially losing Adam after such a long and very successful storyline. It involved so many characters, spun off a story for Bob and Kim and he was the first successful Adam recast since the character became an adult. Bonnie was another unnecessary one. How you can come in and not see how well that was working...

And of course we have to worry about Kriezman in the long term. If November is successful and ATWT is saved, will the REAL Kriezman come out? All new HWs try and give you what you want in the early days (unless you're Pratt who simply doesn't care), but you have to wait a while to see their true vision for the show.

• Administrator

OLTL: Writer OUT

And an update on old news: David Levinson was chosen as the new script editor and Josh Griffith is coming back as a SW instead of script editor - just a weird situation with Goutman/Bloom over this (Goutman likes Griffith, Bloom hates Griffith).

• Members

Other than endangering Y&R/CBS's relationship with the WGA, why would she hate Griffith?

Y&R was bland as hell on a production level, but at least he attempted to steer Maria into a less sensational, trashy direction. ETA: Even if it was illegal for him to do so.

ETA2: OLTL Writer out is Melissa Salmons?

Archived