• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yep and more layoffs or perhaps early retirements coming this year

Also in retail

http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4

"Like coal miners, retail workers don't typically have a set of skills that's easily transferable to another industry, according to Cohen.

The retail industry, which employs about one out of every 10 American workers, typically pays low wages but provides employment to people in every age bracket, as well as those who are low-skilled and need flexible scheduling options."

• Members

The decline of retail really scares me. That's an area that people with low skills can go into, even if they aren't physically strong. I hate to see people in that group hit harder than they already have been. One difference between retailing and coal mining is that coal miners made a high wage and I do think it's a bigger loss if you are just looking at it on a job by job basis.   At the same time, someone capable of coal mining can probably do other kinds of manual labor that pays better than a "pink collar" job. Automation of jobs is really going to affect our whole economy and a lot of people are in deep denial. More people are going to be plunged into the gig economy and I'm not sure any politician can stop it.

I'm enjoying Billy O'Reilly getting the boot. He was always an insufferable ass. In the end it doesn't make that much difference at Fox because a new jackass will arise, but maybe for the sake of the women around him we can hope the next won't be a harasser.

• Members

^ Yeah, I've seen some articles about truck drivers on the edge of losing their jobs too. That's a real shame. In my town I grew up in jobs were incredibly scarce. One of the few people who made a decent living was a long haul truck driver. Fast forward 20 years to when I was living in SF and various forms of truck driving were some of the best jobs that (documented) immigrants without a high school degree had. Both doing delivery for the beverage company I worked for (EvilCorp!) and as long haul drivers. I was surprised to see people could earn somewhere around $100,000 doing that.

One thing I saw mainly in SF, that seems to be becoming more frequent is people doing things like dog walking/pet sitting, unlicensed daycare, housecleaning,gardening, snow shoveling handymen, food delivery. I've noticed more and more of it on the Nextdoor app and I would assume it's mostly under the table.  Of course, in SF people were making a couple of hundred a day dog walking. That won't be happening in Omaha. I find it worrying because of course these people are out of luck when it comes to any kind of benefits or job security.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Ugh Bernie Sanders needs to go away

There is a fairly deep bench of younger democrats but if this guy doesn't get sidelined there will never be a chance to see them.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-reload-for-georgia-runoff-but-party-divisions-remain-1492626238?tesla=y

"Bernie Sanders says he doesn't know if Jon Ossoff is a progressive."