Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Arizona will soon have union-busting laws that will make Wisconsin seem like a picnic.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/01/tougher_than_wisconsin_arizona_republicans_launch.php?ref=fpa

You'd think if the far right is so successful in Arizona they would have less time for publicity stunts like Jan Brewer waving her finger at Obama.

• Members

Wow. You can't say Romney is hiding his true feelings.

http://www.cbsnews.c...-of-safety-net/

Isn't this the very same "safety net" that Romney and his cohorts have repeatedly pledged to destroy, and which so many in his party insist is full of lazy bums and cheats?

I guess this is another round of, "You stupid poor people, get a job!!!"

And as always no one will care.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

My blood was boiling watching CNN's smarmy weasel John King pooh-pooh this with a panel of all repubs (can't have anyone from the left weighing in!) on CNN this evening. Silly Romney for using those words in that order, out-of-context, etc etc.

The DNC better milk this. I don't think it's out-of-context at all and it certainly is no more out-of-context than when Willard­ took Obama's quoting John McCain ("If we keep talking about the economy we're going to lose") and made it seem like a direct statement from Obama.

Romney refused to admit any wrongdoing, saying "Those were his [Obama's] words, that was his voice"

I guess Willard will have a different standard on this one.

• Members

ABC News with Diane Sawyer covered this, this evening, and the news piece could have basically served as a attack ad for Romney to be honest, right down to his most recent gaffe about the poor.

Sad thing is, I doubt the DNC will milk this for what its worth, nor will anybody really care about what he said unfortunately.

• Members

Which "safety net" has Romney (or cohorts?) pledged to destroy? I've followed the primaries closely and have yet to hear him pledge to destroy anything.

He's said that he wants to repeal Obamacare and replace (fix it) with a much more fiscally sound alternative. Not a bad idea considering our debt situation in combination with a very weak economy.

Although this statement from Romney provides meat for Liberals to repeat to the uninformed, he's actually right. The very poor already have medicaid, food stamps, WIC, section 8 housing, and so on.

If you can provide a source of Romney wanting to destroy any of these...I'll vote for Obama.

• Members

Most of that is being cut (especially on state levels), or the GOP have announced plans to cut it. Similar to unemployment benefits. I haven't heard Romney speaking out against this. His healthcare plans would also mean more cuts to the poor.

The GOP has said the social safety net just enables poverty. Gingrich wants to have poor children work as janitors for that reason. I haven't heard Romney criticize that either.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Proposed cuts will always come from the social safety net. None of these candidates has to directly say they will do away with the social safety net in exact words, it's just built into their platform. Privitizing Social Security and Medicare is always on the table for conservatives.

• Members

Haha!

I've heard Newt speak about that many times. It's not quite that simple. He has said that poor kids (or ANY teen) would benefit from working at their schools or with an after school program. Not ONLY as janitors, but in the library or offices. There's nothing wrong with learning to develop work ethic at a young age and to appreciate pay checks.

This is going to be a wild ride until November. These out of context and over simplified quotes are just ridiculous.

• Members

To no surprise, Mitt Romney won the Nevada caucuses last night. Apparently turnout was much lower than expected, which has been the case throughout the primary. I guess people know it's just a shell game and are looking forward to November.

Meanwhile, another media favorite, Virginia governor Bob McDonnell, who, along with Chris Christie and Mitch Daniels (and, until he ran a horrendous campaign and dropped out, "T-Paw"), has been seen as the great white hope for the party, will now get a hard right legislature to push the views he has been supporting for many years. Good luck to the people suffering through this. Do you notice how this is framed to make it seem as if these views are somehow being pushed on him and whatever choice he makes will be some noble decision?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mcdonnell-wanted-conservative-assembly-now-its-right-turn-forces-hard-choices-of-vp-prospect/2012/02/05/gIQA7FEirQ_story.html

All the controversy over Komen and Planned Parenthood ultimately led to the usual finger-pointing and a non-ending which appeased the press, but this article was better than usual for AP.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jv8C7ApOOz3ZXyAYBNHDPMMbfU7Q?docId=e5b9d00aa21e4c34bb7ee79f70508002

I never knew a lot about Komen, but from what I've read since this whole thing blew up, apparently they are against research into whether the environment causes breast cancer (toxins, chemicals, etc.)? That bothers me.