The Politics Thread

• Members

There is a difference though between contested and divisive that is a little blurry at times. Ford/Reagan was a little divisive because Reagan wouldn't even shake Ford's hand and unite the party but even that didn't stop Ford until his made a huge blunder at a debate. Carter/Kennedy was divisive because Kennedy took it all the way to the convention, but I doubt Carter could have won under any circumstances.

This time though doesn't seem so divisive. The republicans seemed on a runaway train to nominating a guy after two tiny states, and that seems really unfair to everybody else and to the candidate who gets tricked into thinking he actually ran a campaign. Two states and no criticism would just leave Romney a sitting duck for Obama who does know what a tough campaign is all about.

The republicans did a fine job in finding a candidate: Their choice is a candidate republicans don't like or a candidate nobody else but republicans like. They need to take a long look at the negative affect if the tea party and the quality of candidates this two-party dalliance has created.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

More of the Beltway media pining for Mitch Daniels, a charisma-free zone who would have fared the same way Huntsman did. Chris Cizzila is the guy who spent years telling readers about the glories of "T-Paw" and how "T-Paw" would be so formidable, so what do you expect.

http://www.washingto...mffLQ_blog.html

Also strange that media darling Daniels was chosen since his policies while working in the Bush White House helped create the financial disasters of the last decade. I guess that just makes him even more of a hero.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Well, everybody on the left cheered when Michael Moore called Bush a deserter. Some liberals even suggested that he had previous knowledge of 9/11.

And Carl, it doesn't appear to me that most in the media are nodding along. Rather, this RNC Chairman's comments are being portrayed in a negative light.

And while Obama did in no way compares to that cruise captain, the fact of the matter is that he has done some extraordinarily insensitive things (while so many are out of work), like when he held an "Alice in Wonderland" themed Halloween party in 2009, or last year when he threw himself a star-studded 50th birthday bash. It's funny, though, that the "conservatively biased" media still goes out of its way to portray Barry as such a "likeable" person even after acting like such a prick. (Meanwhile, the "cold and calculating" Romney was constantly at his wife's side as she battled MS. Thus, because the liberal media has inaccurately portrayed both men, I have zero doubt that Obama will win the election.)

Edited by Max

• Members

Those people weren't running the DNC. This man is the head of the Republican Party.

The only hint of a negative reaction I saw was from Bob Scheiffer. I've even seen articles which tsk-tsked because the DNC head wasn't as OTT as Priebus was. This is all a fun game to the media, and the uglier the comparisons, the better (especially if it's on the right). Look at how breathlessly they covered the claims that Obama wanted to kill old people.

• Members

IMO, that is what news reporting should do. (The article also reminds us of how bad the recent tragedy at sea was.) Just let the facts speak for themselves (without editorializing), and the man will be viewed in a negative light.

Edited by Max