The Politics Thread

• Members

I think the difference with Pence is Trump's cult members, didn't vote for Pence they voted for Trump and those who wanted to shake up and blow up Washington didn't vote for Pence. I don't think the fanatical right will have the same kind of passionate support they have for Trump. And it's not like Pence is not involved.

I had a suspicion the Intelligence Community was going to be Trump's downfall and it's astounding that these people believed they could out maneuver them, especially Bannon, who I frankly may not be Einstein but isn't stupid. The question I have is the FBI and what was going on there to help throw the election to Trump. It seems they and the FBI are at odds. There are a couple of journalists out there who believe that there is a contingent in the bureau who helped Russia set up Weiner and caused that whole episode with the emails being found on his computer, even to the point where it's possible they worked in setting Weiner up from the beginning with the girl. That last part seems far fetched but after reading Louise Mensch's article, it's certainly possible.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That writeup by Rather shows the parallels. And while people, me included, think the GOP are cowards and such, Nixon initially had the support of his party because they felt he was controllable. And at the end of the day we saw how that turned out. But the dripping of info, the firing by Nixon of Cox and then the subsequent resignations by the AG, the attempt to discredit the media, all there. But while Nixon suffered from paranoia and delusions, he was functionally competent and he did govern.

• Members

That's what it is - a contingent in the New York office which has been quasi-rogue and in communication with Giuliani over the years.

I don't trust Louise Mensch. Never have. Seems like a strange person, something flamboyant perhaps used as a stalking horse for Russian counter-intelligence (it's not unheard of; even now, professional leftists like Glenn Greenwald, Ed Schultz, etc. are spinning for Russia and decrying these leaks, ironically enough). I don't think their finding Weiner was anything but a great coincidental opportunity, not a grand conspiracy.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Kellyanne will continue to be used on shows, under the guise that she's admin staff, until she gets booted (if she gets booted) or reassigned to a position with no media contact.

She's an easy way for Jake Tapper, Matt Lauer, and whoever else to show that they are journalists in pursuit of the truth since it's a given that she's going to lie about something.  It's a lazy cheap way for them to get ratings.  CNN declined to have her on that one day but quickly got her on with a geared up Jake Tapper.  I read something about this yesterday and how it makes them appear to be journalistic heroes. 

• Members

I vaguely remember reading an article where Ted Turner said he had expressed the hope that CNN would end up being run by an independent company, similar to PBS (but presumably with little to no dependence on government funding in contrast).

In an Op-ed piece I read sometime last month or so, essentially the same hope was expressed and that CNN might have a chance at restoring the integrity it once had but lost from the public.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I'm no where near ready to award CNN or any network for any kind of Profile in Courage award. It's all for ratings as it was last year. I am prepared to recognize those who were consistent like The Guardian and yes even the Post to some extent. I still won't give the New York TImes one penny.